mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Anyone know what happened in Lyons?

Just saw it in the news. Thoughts and prayers to the riders family!
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

lucky enough
    What did you see on the news?
    "Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

ride
    Local guy pulled out if the Outlaw Saloon and creamed a bike. Apparently, the bike was so toast it was in a million pieces. Dont know who was on the bike. The vehicle driver is allegedly a long time bike hater that has wanted to ban bikes in Lyons. Tragic all the way around.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

ride
    Makes me want to throw up. Also allegedly the sherrif says he thought he knew the cyclist as well. Likely a Lyons local.
    Redstone Cyclery
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    That's horrible. Again, thoughts and prayers.
    Was the driver drunk?
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

contains quinine
    "The SUV driver, 69-year-old Patrick Allen Ward, was arrested on suspicion of vehicular homicide and careless driving resulting in death. According to 7News, the SUV was traveling the wrong way down Main Street."
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

contains quinine
    9news just reported that the driver was drunk.
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

Kaj
    mtbr member
    So we have a drunk guy who hates bikes, who gets drunk then creams a cyclist in a peaceful happy bike friendly town and takes him away forever from his family and friends.

I'll withhold my judgement till all facts are in, but if it turns out this is about right, then this guy should spend his next 20+ years(till he is 90 ish and likely passed), thinking about why he's an idiot behind bars.
    Helping folks shred in Boulder & Colorado since 1982 www.fullcyclebikes.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Edited... don't want my comments to be taken the wrong way. Thoughts and prayers go out to the deceased and all that knew him.
    Last edited by smmokan; 05-13-2013 at 09:23 AM.

mtbr member
    My thoughts/prayers for the family/friends.

ride
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    After reading the comments in the DC (which are typically FAR from accurate, mind you) it sounds like the biker was riding the "wrong way" on the side of the road.
    Come on out and you can see the markings and blood on the pavement and make your own judgement. The reality of the situation is that, where the bike got f*cking creamed (he didn't just get hit) - it could've been anyone. It happened at a crappy, illogical intersection and it could've just as well been my wife or kids there. It makes me sick to my stomach.

I see this not as a car v bike incident, but a car v pedestrian incident. The whole community here is pretty shook up, especially given that the syphillis ridden mush brain drunk ahole that annihilated an innocent dude on the street was a not so highly regarded member of this community.
    Redstone Cyclery
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I figured my comment would be taken the wrong way... all I was saying is that given the recent track record of court decisions in Boulder County I'm curious to see how this is ultimately handled once all the details are figured out. Regardless of that decision, I feel horribly for the family and friends of the deceased.

I'm just as disgusted with what happened as anyone else, especially given this ******* was drinking. I'm against drunk driving more than just about anyone you know, trust me.

ride
    No worries, Steve. Not saying I took it the wrong way. Simply trying to point out that direction of travel of the bicycle was kind of a moot point given the intersection. It could've been another car, pedestrian, or dog or whatever. It's easily the worst intersection in Lyons. That kinda stuff happens all the time there - just this time it was a drunk guy running over a cyclist.
    Redstone Cyclery
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaj View Post
    So we have a drunk guy who hates bikes, who gets drunk then creams a cyclist in a peaceful happy bike friendly town and takes him away forever from his family and friends.

I'll withhold my judgement till all facts are in, but if it turns out this is about right, then this guy should spend his next 20+ years(till he is 90 ish and likely passed), thinking about why he's an idiot behind bars.
    Good God I hope there's eventually some will in this country to actually hold drivers accountable for their actions. It's so often that drivers who maim or kill cyclists AND pedestrians get off with no jail time. To call this vehicular manslaughter is such a travesty... let's just pull the blinders off and call it what it was, murder. This creepy old fart might as well have pulled out a .45 and shot the cyclist.

Driving is a privilege and not a right. If you're going to drive in a way that endangers others, you should be held accountable just as you would if you poisoned somebody or set their house on fire.

Ridiculous. Sad. Outrageous.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

friend of Apex
    saw you on the news, Dave. Good words.
    Thoughts to friends, family, and the community.

The one thing I can't get my head around, are the speeds involved to have such a horrible accident.
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

rr
    I don't do PC
    Sad to hear about the cyclist, after getting hit and run over a few years back I stay the hell off the roads as much as poss, too many aholes out there.

At least that POS behind the wheel is off the roads, hopefully he stays in jail.

ride
    Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR View Post
    The one thing I can't get my head around, are the speeds involved to have such a horrible accident.
    No doubt. If he was coming from the Outlaw, that's not even a block. I bet the driver was looking to shoot a gap between cars on 36, didn't see beyond the highway and just pegged the throttle. Hit him so hard it jacked up the front of his truck.
    Redstone Cyclery
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Thoughts and prayers to the riders family. Hate to hear these stories.
    It's not how old I am, it's how old I feel - Minor Threat

Ride Everything
    Can't even begin to wrap my mind around this.

My sincere condolences to the rider's friends and family.
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

mtbr member
    Just saw this story about it on the Post's site. Very sad...to say the least.

Boulder cyclist killed in SUV crash remembered as positive, patient - The Denver Post

Rolling
    He could have walked home from the Outlaw--assuming that is where he was headed.

It's less than 1/2 mile (10 minutes walking) from Outlaw to 429 Park Street (this residence is listed on Boulder County Property Tax as owned by a Patrtick Ward and is on the Jail Report for Patrick Ward on May 12).

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...e198cd74&msa=0

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

mtbr member

Anyone know what happened in Lyons?

That's just horrible news. I got a buddy who lives there. Great town, great people, great vibe and really dig the redstone. I can't believe something like that happened. It makes since where I came from but not in that tiny paradise. I hope they lock him up and throw away the key so he can't do that again. I never did understand why people hate cyclist. Cyclist are the back bone to America. They started the good roads movement which started the first paved roads in north america well before cars. They are the reason Madison square gardens was built( original Madison sq was a velodrome) ad it was the popularity of cycling at the turn of the century that made baseball and football famous ( people didn't like football or baseball but started going to the games because the cycling events were always sold out and cost more than a baseball or football game)