mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Anyone going to Breck tomorrow?

Was thinking about going to ride the Peaks trail- never been there. Anyone heading that way? I know a couple of riders heading to Keystone (XC) but I did that a few weeks ago so was thinking about a ride somewhere else.

Kenosha is always an option but if I know a couple of people are heading towards Breck, I'd be more motivated to drive a bit further.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Dude - Peaks kicked A$$ on Saturday. I rode it from Frisco->Breck starting around 9:00... where the hell was everyone? I probably saw 15 people TOTAL, and 10 of those were within 1/2 mile of the Frisco or Breck trailheads.

I rode it back from Breck around 1:30 and it was a bit more populated. Although the thunder and rain seemed to keep the middle/end portion pretty human-free.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I have your answer... all the people came out on Sunday (especially on our way back down)

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by edenger
    I have your answer... all the people came out on Sunday (especially on our way back down)
    It was very strange... I hadn't ridden Peaks in a number of years but was braced for an onslaught of humanity.

Oh - and goddam that trail is FUN.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I started from Breck around 10 AM so I went backwards, I suppose....ended back at Breck but that climb back made my heart rate go up a bit. It is a fantastic ride though a bit short for a drive that long. I'm not complaining though- that trail is pretty amazing. Next time, I'll see what I can add in for another hour or two.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    I started from Breck around 10 AM so I went backwards, I suppose....ended back at Breck but that climb back made my heart rate go up a bit. It is a fantastic ride though a bit short for a drive that long. I'm not complaining though- that trail is pretty amazing. Next time, I'll see what I can add in for another hour or two.
    Here's a good loop:

Frisco -> Peaks -> Miner's Creek -> Wheeler -> Burro -> Peaks -> Frisco.

Might be *slightly* more than an hour or two more, but at least you won't feel cheated having driven all that way.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    The addition that SS is suggesting is pretty cool, but it's a BIG addition that involves a fair about of pushing, a lot of above treeline terrain that is not where you want to be when there is a threat of T storms.

There are several ways to add mileage onto the Peaks. One Loop I like to do is ride the peaks to the Gold Hill trail, climb and descend that to Hwy 9, then ride up The Colorado trail, from there you can either descend directly to the dredge or add several possibilities in the Blair Witch - Ranch - Red trail area and still loop back to the dredge. From there you can take Gold Run Road all the way back to Breck or you can hook into the Flume trail network for single track. You can also extend the ride with endless options by going into the Golden Horseshoe are via Gold Run Road. Loops can range from 20 to 40 miles depending on how you do them. Pretty much everything I've listed is on the Lat 40 map.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks guys. I'll be back there very soon. It is a good thing I picked up the Lat 40 map a couple of weeks ago. Great area to ride- I also want to do that Two Elk ride around Vail soon.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    I also want to do that Two Elk ride around Vail soon.
    Don't bother. That ride sucks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You lie...no doubt about it!!

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    You lie...no doubt about it!!
    Who me? No way! That ride SUCKS!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Fine- I have had such a good few rides lately that one sucky one is definitely needed.