mtbr member

Anyone in the Evergreen-Area Run Formula brakes?

Having some pretty wretched experiences with Avid XO (I know, I know: Avid sucks) and am thinking of switching to Formulas. Does anyone in the Evergreen area have these? Do you like? Any chance I could check em out? I'm really interested in how the initial engagement feels. I love how - when you hit the brakes on Shimano XTs - there is a distinct feeling of the pads hooking up to the rotors. The Avids don't have that. HOping the Formulas do b/c I can't really run XT as I run Grip Shift.

Any thoughts or opportunities to check out would be appreciated.

Thank you very much,
    Rick

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rsmarg View Post
    I love how - when you hit the brakes on Shimano XTs - there is a distinct feeling of the pads hooking up to the rotors. The Avids don't have that.
    Really!? Mine do, all 5 sets...from Juicys to Elixirs to Codes. I also have a set of M988s and they feel VERY similar to my Avids. I run Goodridge hoses on all of these...
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

MK_
    carpe mañana
    Formulas are definitely a league above Avids (which is an odd thing since they helped Avid with the design of their brakes). Nevertheless, the initial bite varies between models. A good, cost effective Fromula is a RXO; RX levers, RO calipers. T1 or The Ones of old, have a more pronounced bite (so much so that I run one sintered and one organic pad in each caliper).

Formulas need a really experienced person to bleed them properly, they like to trap air bubbles.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

ride
    I run Formula Brakes on all of my bikes. Love 'em. I own or have owned RX, Biancas, The Ones, and ROs. Good stuff. Very strong brakes. Some folks don't love the feel but I sure do. If you ever get up to the North country up here, I'm happy to let you check 'em out.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    OP:
    So, the XTs won't give enough reach to go around the Grip Shift, at all? Are you setting up your brakes w/ 1 or 2 finger braking? Any brakes mentioned thus far should be powerful enough for 1 finger braking...
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

MK_
    carpe mañana
    Except for Biancos.

_MK
    -- Marx, Groucho

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MK_ View Post
    Except for Biancos.

_MK
    Honestly, I had to look up what they were. The review section have guys coming off of Ti 6's sayign the Biancos were just as powerful...

Heh, I was going to pick up a Ti6 caliper to see if I could pair it w/ a 2011 Code MC. But I could see if it worked, I'd stab too hard during a panic and launch myself off the bike
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I run R0 on my DH rig and a pair of '11 Ones on my AM rig and I love them. I noticed that out of the box they had a good feel, but once I bled them well they had a very noticeable difference in the positive direction. Most of the newer ones have the Bite adjustment, which when dialed on a set of new pads is almost dangerous strong.

Truly a one finger brake, no more is needed with these.

Only issue is the reach can be pretty far out for some people. I personally don't have this issue, but people with smaller hands may. There is a guy on PB that has made a custom push rod that corrects this issue if you want to go that route.

mtbr member
    You have this option as well if you want the XT brakes.

XT trekking levers=better w/gripshift!

Kaj
    mtbr member
    Anyone in the Evergreen-Area Run Formula brakes?
    I thought you were going to say "please stop using them because I can hear them howling in Golden".

I find formula's that's I've used to be even more firm/distinctive bite than XT's.
    Helping folks shred in Boulder & Colorado since 1982 www.fullcyclebikes.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Has shimano changed the levers on the XT's over that last few years? I run XT's and GripShifts with no problems, however, the brakes are an older version (approx 4-5 yrs old). The levers in the photos from the link above do look short.

mtbr member
    Hmm. Those XT lever adaptors may be what I'm looking for. I really like the feel of XT and the use of mineral oil instead of DOT fluid.

Evergreen Bicycle Outfitters has a pair of Formula One's mounted up to a Ritchey and they felt dam nice.

Avid is sending me a brand new set of 2013 XO's as warranty replacements. They're supposed to come in today. Zack at EBO thinks I should mount them up b/c he thinks the changes AVid has made from the 2012 models (which I had) ought to address the leak issues and deliver better bite. But part of me thinks I should just leave em in the box so they'd be easy to re-sell and just grab some Formulas.

MK_: What in particular makes the Formulas harder to bleed than other brakes?

ride
    MK_: What in particular makes the Formulas harder to bleed than other brakes?
    They're not any easier or harder, you just have to know what you're doing
    Redstone Cyclery
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

MK_
    carpe mañana
    I've bled most Maguras, lots of different Shimanos, and some Avids as well as pretty much all current Formulas. Of all the brakes I've bled, I've found the Juicys and all formulas to be significantly more difficult to get all the little air pockets eliminated from the brake.

I don't have nearly anywhere close to the level of exposure to bleeding brakes as Dave does, but I've bled enough brakes to say that most if not all complaints about Formulas come from people being unable to properly bleed them.

_MK
    -- Marx, Groucho

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    I'm not in Evergreen, but +1 for Formula. I have the RX on my WFO. Run Hopes on my DH bike. Blew through Avids on a couple bikes, but some people have great luck with them. Weird...
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I've had avid trail, avid elixr 5, 7 and r, Formula The One, Shimano SLX and XT.

Any shimano (even the new Deore I've tested) performed better than any other brand of brake I've ever ridden. New Avid Trail stuff is better than the old stuff, Formula is rad but expensive rotors and small bits, while shimano, even the base model stuff seems to out perform it all. I think the best value in brakes right now, hands down, is the SLX with Ice Tech. I have done lots of very long descents on those with little to no brake fade. That said, on some avids I went through a set of pads after a shuttle day after 9k of descending. Yes, that's a lot for a non-DH brake all in one day with 3k descent runs, but still, shouldn't have to buy new pads from just that one day of riding.

mtbr member
    This may be a silly question, but being new to disc brakes...

Are calipers specific to rotor sizes? Avid sent me warranty replacements with 160mm front and rear, but I was running a 180mm front. Can I keep my 180mm rotor and mounting bracket and use with the new calipers they sent?

ride
    Nope - you just need the correct adapters for the caliper/rotor size.
    Redstone Cyclery
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

MK_
    carpe mañana
    Yeah, all calipers the the same, the brackets dictate which rotor size is used.

_MK
    -- Marx, Groucho

mtbr member
    Huge thanks to everyone for the feedback.

One more question: can you run any brand rotor with XT's? Or do they need to be Shimano-specific?

Think i may have found a decent deal on a pair of Formula RXO takeoffs. However, I was able to check a pair of XTs with my grip shift and they're actually not bad.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Huge thanks to everyone for the feedback.

One more question: can you run any brand rotor with XT's? Or do they need to be Shimano-specific?

Think i may have found a decent deal on a pair of Formula RXO takeoffs. However, I was able to check a pair of XTs with my grip shift and they're actually not bad.
    You can run any brand of rotors with Shimano brakes as long as they are the right diameter.