Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Anyone ever biked singletrack from nederland to boulder?

Ive heard that this can be done. I just moved to boulder and would absolutely love to do this but I heard you really need to know your way. I bought a topo map of the area and was hoping it would have it layed out but i guess this way is too secret. Can anyone help?

Rolling
    It's hard in the winter.

Where did you hear this crap from anyway?

Stiff yet compliant
    It requires crossing private property. You won't find it on any map and no one is going to tell you about it on this board.

Outcast
    how strong is your desire? if you don't mind pissing off the owners of the land you are trespassing on, don't mind getting shot at, or don't mind upsetting the local mtb community that is working hard just to keep open what land we can ride on, not to mention trying to represent the mtb community for future land access projects,....yea, it can be done..
    You are new to the area; please don't take my sarcasm to heart. no, it cannot be done. Enjoy what is available to you now, and the future.

mtbr member

what's w/ the attitude?

geesh, give the guy/gal a break...

admittedly new to the area (and MTBR) and just looking for a rumored local ride. no need for all the harshness.

b18t, sounds like private property is involved, so we'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say that it doesn't sound like a feasible route to pursue.

welcome to the area (and unfortunately the secret stash zealots).
    -
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

the ultimate Boulder area shuttle

since we're on shuttle themes...There is a way I guess by crossing private property etc. However, there is a legal and fun way to take that route, but it involves singletrack, doubletrack, dirt road and even pavement. Definitely a cross country type ride with lots of climbing. Not sure if you are interested in that. and BTW most Boulder area single track requires riding some pavement & dirt road too, if you ride your bike to the singletrack.

..ouch
    Stick around for a while, put in your time and build some credibility by joining folks for some group rides..

Peeps on here keep a pretty tight lid on these things. It's not (always) that we like being jerks as much as it would only take a few irresponsible riders to piss off the private land owners and ruin it for all.

Outcast
    Gotdirt, I DID cut him some slack; this guy's buddies are giving a newbie some bad advice. For all the legal stuff there is to ride here, he try to hook him up with illegal, sensitive to the local scene riding? Bad advice New guy; hang around, get settled to the scene, and enjoy. Don't poach please; if unsure about where the line is drawn, ask.

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    Gotdirt, I DID cut him some slack; this guy's buddies are giving a newbie some bad advice. For all the legal stuff there is to ride here, he try to hook him up with illegal, sensitive to the local scene riding? Bad advice New guy; hang around, get settled to the scene, and enjoy. Don't poach please; if unsure about where the line is drawn, ask.
    The only time I approve of illegal riding is at night while doing drugs with the dogs.

Nobody can tell your dogs pooped on open space at night.

BTW, gotdirt, you are rather sensitive given you are the director of COMBA. Trying to be Mr Ambassador here? LOL. b18t justs jumps on board mtbr.com and one of the first things he posts about is poaching? There are people worth giving a break to, then there are those who have their horse behind the wagon.

(PS: I guess the price of a few trying to stand up in a high tension riding environment is to be called a snob in the Boulder front range scene. But if that is the cost, "sticks and stones...").
    Last edited by lidarman; 11-07-2007 at 06:27 PM.

..ouch
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    The only time I approve of illegal riding is at night while doing drugs with the dogs.
    So pretty much anytime for much of the Ned population

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by thump
    So pretty much anytime for much of the Ned population
    No kidding.

skillz to pay billz
    I've been in ned for a year and still waiting... taps fingers...

j/k, there is so much legal trails that I haven't even tried yet plus who needs to involve guns in an otherwise relaxing pursuit.

but if you find the connector PM me

mtbr member
    b18t justs jumps on board mtbr.com and one of the first things he posts about is poaching?
    well i could be wrong, but nothing in his/her post indicates any prior knowledge of "poaching"... that was my point; someone new to both the area and the forum says "hey i heard you could ride from point A to point B" and then gets a bunch of sarcasm and slack-- not a very welcoming notion to the CO forum here on MTBR.

(PS: I guess the price of a few trying to stand up in a high tension riding environment is to be called a snob in the Boulder front range scene.
    well i've learned that there are two distinct camps in this community... those who don't like to share, and would prefer to keep all trails to themselves and their select friends (coughsnobs!cough) ; other folks are happy to share the wealth and spread the stoke (can't believe i just wrote that). now private property is another matter, only exacerbated here by the read-between-the-lines subtext of most of the replies-- yes there is a way, we've done it, but we're not going to tell you as you're not worthy... plus it is illegal, though it's okay for us to break the law and jeopardize access for others, but not you ("do as i say, not as i do").

don't get me wrong, from a "rider" perspective i'd prefer trails w/ fewer people too, but the older i get the more i see the error of those selfish ways... and disdain the sense of entitlement that quite often follows. i was lucky enough to be born here, and if i'm not mistaken, you were not. i don't feel i have any more claim to the trails here than you, but i know other "natives" (you can tell by the bumper sticker, right next to the one that says "no occupancy" or "go back to texas") that would disagree. we're a community w/ a shared passion for riding bikes in the dirt. we've got good dirt here. i like to share, and set an example to my children to share. that's all. that said, i've come to realize i'm (sadly) in the minority. but hey, it is what it is. i'm just glad the clunkerz at mt. tam didn't decide to make it a secret society...

P.S. for the record-- i'm a director of COMBA, not the director.
    P.P.S. for the record-- i've also trodden across private property in my day, though never from ned to boulder.
    -
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by gotdirt
    well i could be wrong, but nothing in his/her post indicates any prior knowledge of "poaching"... that was my point; someone new to both the area and the forum says "hey i heard you could ride from point A to point B" and then gets a bunch of sarcasm and slack-- not a very welcoming notion to the CO forum here on MTBR.

well i've learned that there are two distinct camps in this community... those who don't like to share, and would prefer to keep all trails to themselves and their select friends (coughsnobs!cough) ; other folks are happy to share the wealth and spread the stoke (can't believe i just wrote that). now private property is another matter, only exacerbated here by the read-between-the-lines subtext of most of the replies-- yes there is a way, we've done it, but we're not going to tell you as you're not worthy... plus it is illegal, though it's okay for us to break the law and jeopardize access for others, but not you ("do as i say, not as i do").

don't get me wrong, from a "rider" perspective i'd prefer trails w/ fewer people too, but the older i get the more i see the error of those selfish ways... and disdain the sense of entitlement that quite often follows. i was lucky enough to be born here, and if i'm not mistaken, you were not. i don't feel i have any more claim to the trails here than you, but i know other "natives" (you can tell by the bumper sticker, right next to the one that says "no occupancy" or "go back to texas") that would disagree. we're a community w/ a shared passion for riding bikes in the dirt. we've got good dirt here. i like to share, and set an example to my children to share. that's all. that said, i've come to realize i'm (sadly) in the minority. but hey, it is what it is. i'm just glad the clunkerz at mt. tam didn't decide to make it a secret society...

P.S. for the record-- i'm a director of COMBA, not the director.
    P.P.S. for the record-- i've also trodden across private property in my day, though never from ned to boulder.
    Good points...and yes, the OP didn't assume poaching was involved..but Rene didn't outright attack, he just used sarcasm.

But a little sarcasm never hurt anyone. Sarcasm is not against the law, or necessarily an insult--it's an advanced form of humor and communication.

I think Renney used it in an appropriate manner. To strengthen the point of the issue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcasm

We can prolly argue this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_nauseam since I love wikipedia.

..ouch
    Quote Originally Posted by gotdirt
    I'll agree, there are plenty of those, but there's also the camp that has taken the time to ask permission from the property owners involved and is willing to share with someone that's demonstrated they have enough respect not to then share it with a bunch of asshats that'll get that permission yanked.. If a friend gives you permission to use their place for guests would you just start offering keys to anyone that asks? It's not about being a snob, it's about be respectful to the trust given by the land owners.

That is if said trail even existed in the first place..

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by thump
    I'll agree, there are plenty of those, but there's also the camp that has taken the time to ask permission from the property owners involved and is willing to share with someone that's demonstrated they have enough respect not to then share it with a bunch of asshats that'll get that permission yanked.. If a friend gives you permission to use their place for guests would you just start offering keys to anyone that asks? It's not about being a snob, it's about be respectful to the trust given by the land owners.
    Great point. I guess I fall into the snob category. Well, let me clarify. I guess you could call me a snob cause there’s no way in hell that I’d post a trail I ride on mtbr or for that matter anywhere on the net. Just cause you and I ride a bike doesn’t mean that somehow we’re (magically) on the same page about etiquette or ethics. Funny cause the majority of trails I ride are readily found either on the net, in trail books or simply well known rides.
    That being said, should we meet on trail, on a bar stool, or anywhere else and you (sounds elitist, I know) “pass the test”, i.e. seem like a decent human I’m all about sharing the goods. The internet is just to “unknown”, to faceless to go about posting (yeah, I’ll say it) *my trails* on. Flame away if you must, it won’t change my opinion.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

Outcast
    I'll freely admit it; there are trails in my local area that most of you don't know about, and that's how it's gonna stay. It's like that all up and down the front range. It's not snobbery, it's preservation. If these trails were made known to the general mtb community at large, they would cease to exist within a couple weeks. yea yea, it's not fair, it's not right.... but that's the way it is. Get over it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I'll freely admit it; there are trails in my local area that most of you don't know about, and that's how it's gonna stay. It's like that all up and down the front range. It's not snobbery, it's preservation. If these trails were made known to the general mtb community at large, they would cease to exist within a couple weeks. yea yea, it's not fair, it's not right.... but that's the way it is. Get over it.

Word. Again, the funny thing is that I really don't need to know about *your* trails. I'm actually happy you have yours and I have mine! I mean, should we cross paths someday and you decide to show me the goods or vise versa... hell, I'm down with that. Otherwise I'm happy putting in the effort to find new stuff on my own. Suprise, that's how it was done back in the day.
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

Outcast
    Word back at you Jugdish.
    So the rest of you guys know, I've claimed the entire SSV and sourdough trails north of Brainard lake road, Wapiti, and Baptiste, as "my trails". You guys can ride them, but show some respect yo.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

So the rest of you guys know, I've claimed the entire SSV and sourdough trails north of Brainard lake road, Wapiti, and Baptiste, as "my trails". You guys can ride them, but show some respect yo.
    Wait a minute, I thought it was implied in my first post those were *my trails*!! Stay the hell away from them!!!
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    On second thought, just don't tell anyone about them, OK?
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

Perpetually single track
    I'm totally gonna shuttle the hell out of SSV....Full DH regalia, point earned for number of elitist bagged, points lost for any animals hit.
    The more out of shape you are, the steeper the hill looks.

skillz to pay billz
    I'd happily trade some of 'my' trails for the ned to boulder one, 2 or 3 for one sale on now.

Hell I'll even throw a after-ride beer.

mtbr member
    May 2013

Routes from Ned to Boulder

There are two of them:

The Cougar Slayer. It even has a website devoted to racing it

Also Blue Dot to Winiger Ridge to Walker Ranch to Eldorado Canyon

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinscamps View Post
    There are two of them:

The Cougar Slayer. It even has a website devoted to racing it