Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 102
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    71

    Anyone else hear the bicycle rant on 105.9 this morning?

    WTF??? Did any of you hear the "Intelligent Talk with Howie" segment on FM105.9 this morning? I only caught the last half of it or so, but the basis of the discussion was whether or not cyclists should be allowed on (busy) roadways. I will acknowledge that there are far too many ignorant cyclists out there who feel that they "own the road" and wrongly ignore all traffic laws and other drivers, but Howie actually was making jokes about 'wiping cyclists off the road' with cars and that hitting one would earn you '20 points'!! I'm all for humor and all, but suggesting that hitting someone on a bike is in any way ok is simply not acceptable. Haven't other radio DJs gotten fired over these sorts of things???

  2. #2
    Flowtronic engineer
    Reputation: shabadu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    391
    I didn't hear it, but damn that chaps me. I went to their website to see if I could hear it, but I could just find streaming. I sent the morning show a short but firey email, and would encourage others to do the same.
    Have at em.... TheAliceMorningShow@alice1059.com
    I really identify with you...SO MUCH.

    "Feelin stupid? I know I am."
    "You just have to forget everything you know about gravity."
    H. Simpson

  3. #3
    Tribe Member
    Reputation: yetirich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    807
    I believe they are owned by Clear Channel. Clear Channel has been in all kinds of hot water about this same thing on the east coast and down south. DJ's have been fired. What needs to be done is to contact Bicycle Colorado and then request transcripts of the radio show. Contact management at Alice....this is BOLL****!!!!!!!!!

    As a tax payer and a commuter, I have the right to be on the road. I also have to follow all traffic rules of the road.

    Grass roots campaign to get this guy fired......Now I know why I dont listen to Alice
    Proud Tribe member since 1992 - looking for better singletrack to be ridden year round

  4. #4
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,113
    Maybe a biker should have to have a licence and insurance for the PRIVILAGE to use the roadways.

    Driving is not a right, it is a privilage. It shouldn't be any different for bikers.

  5. #5
    Your bike sucks
    Reputation: Carl Mega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,069
    Quote Originally Posted by DamoNNomaD
    Maybe a biker should have to have a licence and insurance for the PRIVILAGE to use the roadways.

    Driving is not a right, it is a privilage. It shouldn't be any different for bikers.
    Heck yeah. Don't forget walkers. They need their walking license if they want the privilege of using public throughways. Rollerbladers, cyclists, skateboards, joggers - -pffft - where do they get off using public lands for transportation without their papers? Don't like it? Stay home and starve. Don't forget our nation was founded on the idea that every citizen needs a license and insurance before setting foot on public roadways. It's the American way
    Last edited by Carl Mega; 04-18-2006 at 12:11 PM.

  6. #6
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,113
    You don't have to like it, but driving isn't a right on the public roadways. Biking on them is not a right either.

  7. #7
    Your bike sucks
    Reputation: Carl Mega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,069
    Quote Originally Posted by DamoNNomaD
    Biking on them is not a right either.
    How does one earn this privilege? Prove your point. I don't think you can.
    Last edited by Carl Mega; 04-18-2006 at 12:11 PM.

  8. #8
    ride
    Reputation: ignazjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,087
    Quote Originally Posted by DamoNNomaD
    You don't have to like it, but driving isn't a right on the public roadways. Biking on them is not a right either.
    We should have licenses for trails, too. And insurance. Different licenses for different land managers at that. Come to think of it, we should just not worry about it and sell the forest. heh heh
    Redstone Cyclery
    intense*transition*rocky mountain*turner
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    524

    Right to Ride on Road

    While driving a car is a privilege that requires a license and insurance, riding a bike on the roads curently does not. Having insurance and getting a license makes sense for cars, which are very large, attain great speeds and thus can hurt other people and property if not driven properly. Chances are that when riding a bike, poor handling will only hurt the person riding the bike. I believe in this case our government has wisely decided NOT to create regulations to protect people from their own stupidity (riding a bike recklessly on public roads, not wearing a helmet, etc.). As mentioned, bicyclists still must adhere to the rules of the road. Perhaps DamoNNomaD's frustration comes from riders who do not obey the rules and law enforcement that does not enforce the rules on bicyclists. However, none of this renders acceptable what the morning DJ apparently said. That sounds like it was just mean-spirited.

  10. #10
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,113
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Mega
    How does one earn this privilege? Prove your point. I don't think you can.
    If indeed it was treated that way, bikers would have to pass a written and a course test to earn the privilage.

    There is nothing to prove.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gotdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    3,314

    ... and if we just ...

    Quote Originally Posted by angryasian
    "Intelligent Talk ... on FM105.9"
    isn't this an oxymoron?
    -
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.

  12. #12
    Your bike sucks
    Reputation: Carl Mega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,069
    Huh? Then why did you write this...."You don't have to like it, but driving isn't a right on the public roadways. Biking on them is not a right either." Now you contradict yourself? Strange indeed!

    Rights are inherent. Privileges are given. Cycling on public roadways falls under "rights to use". Like all other rights it (public use) is restricted by laws and has boundaries.
    Driving a motor vehicle typically falls under privilege - it is granted. However, some libertarians have challenged this take and have even won a few court cases in support of it being a right under certain circumstances. Don't try and cite this if you get pulled over without a license though.

  13. #13
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,113
    Carl-

    The fact that biking on roadways could be regulated through a greasy ease of lubed legislation is what makes it a privilage to me... and the fact is that it IS regulated and mostly PROHIBITED. It is a privilage that one does NOT have to take a test and get a license to ride on the roads that ARE legal to ride on.

    If riding your bike on the roadways is your "inherent right", then why don't you pop out onto Interstate 70 and see how long it takes for the highway patrol to show up and haul your butt away... with a heavy fine. Biking on public roads may seem like a "inherent right" in your little world, but not in the grand scheme of the system. In that system they are all but ostracized. Indeed a privilage at this point.

  14. #14
    Tribe Member
    Reputation: yetirich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    807
    So I have called Alice to get a transcript of the show and had to leave a message with thier control dept. Dont really expect to hear back from them.

    I then called Bicycle Colorado and wanted to know what can be done. The nice lady that answered the phone had received many calls about this and they were also looking for a transcript of the show. They will be able to get something done.

    I have a right to complain, but they were all out of license's at the time.
    Proud Tribe member since 1992 - looking for better singletrack to be ridden year round

  15. #15
    Tribe Member
    Reputation: yetirich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    807
    DamoNNomaD,
    Actually you can ride on I-70. You can ride between Genesse and Evergreen Parkway, Georgetown and Loveland Pass, and there are other spaces between Vail and Glenwood Springs.

    Plenty of places to do what you say you cant......
    Proud Tribe member since 1992 - looking for better singletrack to be ridden year round

  16. #16
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,113
    Quote Originally Posted by yetirich
    DamoNNomaD,
    Actually you can ride on I-70. You can ride between Genesse and Evergreen Parkway, Georgetown and Loveland Pass, and there are other spaces between Vail and Glenwood Springs.

    Plenty of places to do what you say you cant......
    And even more where you can't!



    I-70 is an INTERSTATE highway. So you can ride on bits of it? It is still regulated and most of it is NOT open to bikes NO MATTER WHAT. It is not a privilage. It is not a right. It is ILLEGAL.

    It would be pretty suicidal to leave Glenwood Springs on I-70 towards Vail on a bike, not to mention TOTALLY illegal. If it is not open to the public on bikes, then it is not a inherint right to ride bikes on the roads of America. The fact is that it is regulated and illegal on many roads. If one could ride on the roads, it would be a privilage not a right. THAT is the status and reality of riding bikes on public roads no matter what people have told others to believe.

  17. #17
    Cynical Bystander
    Reputation: COmtbiker12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,770
    Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr
    we should just not worry about it and sell the forest. heh heh
    You mean build schools and golf courses and stuff?
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

    Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

  18. #18
    I meant to do that
    Reputation: sethm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    133
    Quote Originally Posted by DamoNNomaD
    Carl-

    The fact that biking on roadways could be regulated through a greasy ease of lubed legislation is what makes it a privilage to me... and the fact is that it IS regulated and mostly PROHIBITED. It is a privilage that one does NOT have to take a test and get a license to ride on the roads that ARE legal to ride on.

    If riding your bike on the roadways is your "inherent right", then why don't you pop out onto Interstate 70 and see how long it takes for the highway patrol to show up and haul your butt away... with a heavy fine. Biking on public roads may seem like a "inherent right" in your little world, but not in the grand scheme of the system. In that system they are all but ostracized. Indeed a privilage at this point.
    I actually saw a roadie out on one of our Interstate bypasses (which are illegal to cycle on) in full roadie regalia, headed straight for a very steep bridge, which has no break-down lane. One of the craziest things I've seen. The entrance ramp is clearly marked: No bicycles, no motorized scooters, no farm equipment, no motorized vehicles less than 5hp, etc.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bikergal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    334
    I never could stand Alice and now I couldn't say I like it much more. I didn't hear the radio this morning, (thank God for KTCL for not having loud DJ's) and I completely agree that its wrong what they said. But the best thing to do is handle the manner in a civil way. I agree with Yetirich and him contacting Bicycle Colorado, these are the people who you want to handle these kind of matters.
    I can also say being a roadie and a mountain biker that there are roadies out there that don't respect the laws or others in general. Its best that we all educate ourselves so that safety comes first.
    No life is worth losing over simple measures that can be learned by all. Our roads are busy and they will continue to get busier. Why take unwarranted risk??
    I hope that the DJ learns a lesson but I also hope that people don't encourage this kind of behavior for the young out there.
    Ride Fast, Take Chances!

  20. #20
    pin 'er up
    Reputation: miSSionary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,568
    Quote Originally Posted by DamoNNomaD
    You don't have to like it, but driving isn't a right on the public roadways. Biking on them is not a right either.
    Get over yourself!! Then add chlorine to your gene pool!! Nancy!!
    miSSionary
    Black Sheep...where it'ss at!!
    "I'm not known for my patience. Patience is a polite quality and often appropriate, but it rarely gets things done. Impatience, however, is the hunger for results and intolerance for excuses and delays." LA

  21. #21
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,113
    Quote Originally Posted by miSSionary
    Get over yourself!! Then add chlorine to your gene pool!! Nancy!!
    miSSionary
    I'm sorry you have trouble with facts. That is what happens when you have been told lies about the subject matter your entire life. Now you refuse the truth.

    It doesn't have anything to do with me.

    Riding bikes on roads is a privilage that can be snapped away at virtually anytime for any reason. Driving is also a privilage. There are regulations on both that don't make them inherint rights by nature.

    These are facts. If you feel you disagree with that, then please address it. There is no reason to attack me because you feel uncomfortable with the truth. I can handle it though. You obviously need someone to project on until you think about it.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    52
    I need to do some research first but wasn't something passed in the past few months that allowed bikers to use a full 1/3 of the road way and not be relegated to the gutter? It also went through with the change to allow a right turn signal by a biker to be a point to the right with the right hand and not the left hand up?

    Correct me if I am wrong and from earlier posts I am sure someone will, but aren't bikes not allowed on SIDEWALKS?

  23. #23
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,113
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Daddy
    I need to do some research first but wasn't something passed in the past few months that allowed bikers to use a full 1/3 of the road way and not be relegated to the gutter? It also went through with the change to allow a right turn signal by a biker to be a point to the right with the right hand and not the left hand up?

    Correct me if I am wrong and from earlier posts I am sure someone will, but aren't bikes not allowed on SIDEWALKS?
    Bikes are indeed illegal on most city sidewalks.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    52
    Statute regarding operation of a bicycle in Colorado

    http://bicyclecolo.org/page.cfm?PageID=45

    Just an interesting read . . .

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    359

    Maybe someone should site the actual law...

    ...instead of pulling half baked information out of their a$$. It took me all of 3 minutes to find.

    from Colorado Statutes : TITLE 42 VEHICLES AND TRAFFIC : REGULATION OF VEHICLES AND TRAFFIC : ARTICLE 4 REGULATION OF VEHICLES AND TRAFFIC : PART 14 OTHER OFFENSES : 42-4-1412. Operation of bicycles and other human-powered vehicles.

    Operation of bicycles and other human-powered vehicles

    (1) Every person riding a bicycle shall have all of the rights and duties applicable to the driver of any other vehicle under this article, except as to special regulations in this article and except as to those provisions which by their nature can have no application. Said riders shall comply with the rules set forth in this section and section 42-4-221, and when using streets and highways within incorporated cities and towns, shall be subject to local ordinances regulating the operation of bicycles as provided in section 42-4-111.

    (2) It is the intent of the general assembly that nothing contained in House Bill No. 1246, enacted at the second regular session of the fifty-sixth general assembly, shall in any way be construed to modify or increase the duty of the department of transportation or any political subdivision to sign or maintain highways or sidewalks or to affect or increase the liability of the state of Colorado or any political subdivision under the "Colorado Governmental Immunity Act", article 10 of title 24, C.R.S.

    (3) No bicycle shall be used to carry more persons at one time than the number for which it is designed or equipped.

    (4) No person riding upon any bicycle shall attach the same or himself to any motor vehicle upon a roadway.

    (5) Any person riding a bicycle shall ride in the right-hand lane. When being overtaken by another vehicle, such person shall ride as close to the right-hand side as practicable. Where a paved shoulder suitable for bicycle riding is present, persons operating bicycles shall ride on the paved shoulder. These provisions shall apply, except under any of the following situations:
    (a) When overtaking and passing another bicycle or vehicle proceeding in the same direction;
    (b) When preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway;
    (c) When reasonably necessary to avoid hazardous conditions, including, but not limited to, fixed or moving objects, parked or moving vehicles, pedestrians, animals, or surface hazards.

    (6)(a) Persons operating bicycles on roadways shall ride single file; except that riding no more than two abreast is permitted in the following circumstances:
    (i)When riding two abreast will not impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic; or
    (ii)When riding on paths or parts of roadways set aside for the exclusive use of bicycles.
    (b) Persons riding two abreast shall ride within a single lane.

    (7) A person operating a bicycle shall keep at least one hand on the handlebars at all times.

    (8)(a) A person riding a bicycle intending to turn left shall follow a course described in sections 42-4-901 (1), 42-4-903, and 42-4-1007 or may make a left turn in the manner prescribed in paragraph (b) of this subsection (8).
    (b) A person riding a bicycle intending to turn left shall approach the turn as closely as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway. After proceeding across the intersecting roadway to the far corner of the curb or intersection of the roadway edges, the bicyclist shall stop, as much as practicable, out of the way of traffic. After stopping, the bicyclist shall yield to any traffic proceeding in either direction along the roadway the bicyclist had been using. After yielding and complying with any official traffic control device or police officer regulating traffic on the highway along which he intends to proceed, the bicyclist may proceed in the new direction.
    (c) Notwithstanding the provisions of paragraphs (a) and (b) of this subsection (8), the transportation commission and local authorities in their respective jurisdictions may cause official traffic control devices to be placed on roadways and thereby require and direct that a specific course be traveled.

    (9)(a) Except as otherwise provided in this subsection (9), every person riding a bicycle shall signal his intention to turn or stop in accordance with the provisions of section 42-4-903; except that a person riding a bicycle may signal a right turn with the right arm extended horizontally.
    (b) A signal of intention to turn right or left when required shall be given continuously during not less than the last one hundred feet traveled by the bicycle before turning and shall be given while the bicycle is stopped waiting to turn. A signal by hand and arm need not be given continuously if the hand is needed in the control or operation of the bicycle.

    (10)(a) A person riding a bicycle upon and along a sidewalk or pathway or across a roadway upon and along a crosswalk shall yield the right-of-way to any pedestrian and shall give an audible signal before overtaking and passing such pedestrian. A person riding a bicycle in a crosswalk shall do so in a manner that is safe for pedestrians.
    (b) A person shall not ride a bicycle upon and along a sidewalk or pathway or across a roadway upon and along a crosswalk where such use of bicycles is prohibited by official traffic control devices or local ordinances. A person riding a bicycle shall dismount before entering any crosswalk where required by official traffic control devices or local ordinances.
    (c) A person riding or walking a bicycle upon and along a sidewalk or pathway or across a roadway upon and along a crosswalk shall have all the rights and duties applicable to a pedestrian under the same circumstances, including, but not limited to, the rights and duties granted and required by section 42-4-802.

    (11)(a) A person may park a bicycle on a sidewalk unless prohibited or restricted by an official traffic control device or local ordinance.
    (b) A bicycle parked on a sidewalk shall not impede the normal and reasonable movement of pedestrian or other traffic.
    (c) A bicycle may be parked on the road at any angle to the curb or edge of the road at any location where parking is allowed.
    (d) A bicycle may be parked on the road abreast of another bicycle or bicycles near the side of the road or any location where parking is allowed in such a manner as does not impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic.
    (e) In all other respects, bicycles parked anywhere on a highway shall conform to the provisions of part 11 of this article regulating the parking of vehicles.

    (12)(a) Any person who violates any provision of this section commits a class 2 misdemeanor traffic offense; except that section 42-2-127 shall not apply.
    (b) Any person riding a bicycle who violates any provision of this article other than this section which is applicable to such a vehicle and for which a penalty is specified shall be subject to the same specified penalty as any other vehicle; except the section 42-2-127 shall not apply.

    (13) Upon request, the law enforcement agency having jurisdiction shall complete a report concerning an injury or death incident that involves a bicycle on the roadways of the state, even if such accident does not involve a motor vehicle.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    52
    Sorry, my link came in right after you posted, goes to the same thing.

    This one has more info as well

    http://bicyclecolo.org/page.cfm?PageID=64

  27. #27
    Your bike sucks
    Reputation: Carl Mega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,069
    Quote Originally Posted by DamoNNomaD
    legislation is what makes it a privilage to me... and the fact is that it IS regulated .... Biking on public roads may seem like a "inherent right" in your little world, but not in the grand scheme of the system.
    This is the dumbest thing I ever heard. Of course there are regulations! Every right has restrictions. Even constitutional rights have restrictions. The ubiquitous example is yelling "fire" in a crowded theater. Can't do that so I guess we don't have the right to free speech. So, property rights are not really rights because there are laws governing them and the gov't can seize property as law allows. Poof, they are gone too with a swift blow from your logic. People who are violate laws can actually have their right to peacefully assemble restricted....Guess those don't exist either.

    You clearly have no idea what you are talking about. You are giving your opinion but too obtuse to see (or research) what constitutes the difference between a right and privilege.

    I'm going to spell it out to you very, very clearly....The public has the right to utilize public lands (and roadways). You are born with this right. As with all rights, it is governed - there are laws to dictate how you can use them. Driving is an act that requires licensing. You are granted the ability to operate a motor vehicle once you have satisfied the requirements. It is explicit. You are not born with this "right"...it is considered a 'privilege' and given to you. It is revocable. Cycling is akin to foot traffic. There is no licensing in either case. A five year old can ride his bike or walk on the city streets. He needs no permission - his birth is enough - he does need to follow traffic laws. No explicit permission needed. The public has the right to travel - to access public areas - it's common law. Case closed.

    From:http://www.bicycledriving.com/motorists.htm

    "There is a common law right for anyone to use the public roads. Driving a motor vehicle can create a public danger and therefore is a privilege that can be revoked."

    BTW - you can cycle on large sections of I-70. Make up some more stuff while you are at it.

    Narrow world? Guess you know me.

    Ps: Judging by your other posts, I think you are a jerk. Guess I know you.

    "The use of the highways for the purpose of travel and transportation is not a mere privilege, but a common and fundamental Right of which the public and the individual cannot be rightfully deprived." [emphasis added] Chicago Motor Coach vs. Chicago, 169 NE 22; Ligare vs. Chicago, 28 NE 934; Boon vs. Clark, 214 SSW 607; 25 Am.Jur. (1st) Highways Sect.163

  28. #28
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,113
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Mega
    This is the dumbest thing I ever heard.
    Dang. You lost me right there. I think I saw you call me a "jerk" as I snipped the rest of your quote.... that's nice. Seems like I made the right call...

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    52
    "Narrow world? Guess you know me.

    Ps: Judging by your other posts, I think you are a jerk. Guess I know you."


    Regarding DamoNNomaD, I think he just has to be playing devils advocate, I mean how else could someone who participates in such a cool activity be so negative?!?

  30. #30
    Your bike sucks
    Reputation: Carl Mega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,069
    Quote Originally Posted by schwing_ding
    ...instead of pulling half baked information out of their a$$. It took me all of 3 minutes to find.
    It doesn't get into the whole right vs privilege thing cause that is already settled common law and quite a broad topic but I do find it interesting that they use the term "rights" and never use the word "privilege".

    And this is quite funny:

    (12)(a) Any person who violates any provision of this section commits a class 2 misdemeanor traffic offense; except that section 42-2-127 shall not apply.
    (b) Any person riding a bicycle who violates any provision of this article other than this section which is applicable to such a vehicle and for which a penalty is specified shall be subject to the same specified penalty as any other vehicle; except the section 42-2-127 shall not apply

    What is section 42-2-127 and why is not appliciable?

    Oh, that's just the part where they can revoke your driving privilege. Can't do that on a bicycle cause it's not licensed and, ummm, falls under a common law right to access. In other words, it's not revocable like a privilege is. Wowsers.

    http://www.revenue.state.co.us/heari...?incl=42-2-127

    Cheers.

  31. #31
    Your bike sucks
    Reputation: Carl Mega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,069
    Quote Originally Posted by DamoNNomaD
    Dang. You lost me right there. I think I saw you call me a "jerk" as I snipped the rest of your quote.... that's nice. Seems like I made the right call...
    Must be a great to bury your head in the sand when facts don't back up your distorted world view.

    Here's another killer to your wild claims:

    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...75268#poststop

    Game. Set. And match.

  32. #32
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,113
    I'm sorry. I have no reasons to discuss the topic with someone with the hostilities that you have. It is simple a waste of my time. If you would like to resume the discussion you can apologize for your behavior. I will gladly continue then. Until then you are talking to yourself. I hope that whatever choice you make, you are happy with yourself in the end.

  33. #33
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,113
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Daddy
    "Narrow world? Guess you know me.

    Ps: Judging by your other posts, I think you are a jerk. Guess I know you."


    Regarding DamoNNomaD, I think he just has to be playing devils advocate, I mean how else could someone who participates in such a cool activity be so negative?!?
    I am playing a little devil's advocate, but if you really think it through, what we have been told about bikes and the road system in America is not alltogether true. Bikes do have some serious limitations in concern to safe interstate travel that puts a burden on peoples idea that they carry the inherent right to be ridden on the roadways.

    Anyone that does Colorado road rides is acutely aware of how close they are to being literally ran off the roads of that state. Ride America... it is hardly different.

  34. #34
    Your bike sucks
    Reputation: Carl Mega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,069
    Quote Originally Posted by DamoNNomaD
    I'm sorry.
    Accepted.

    I forgot you were above name-calling.

    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...91#post1765191


  35. #35
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,113
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Mega
    Accepted.

    I forgot you were above name-calling.

    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...91#post1765191

    I didn't think you had the sack. Go back to checkers kid.

  36. #36
    pin 'er up
    Reputation: miSSionary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,568
    Quote Originally Posted by DamoNNomaD
    I'm sorry you have trouble with facts. That is what happens when you have been told lies about the subject matter your entire life. Now you refuse the truth.

    It doesn't have anything to do with me.

    Riding bikes on roads is a privilage that can be snapped away at virtually anytime for any reason. Driving is also a privilage. There are regulations on both that don't make them inherint rights by nature.

    These are facts. If you feel you disagree with that, then please address it. There is no reason to attack me because you feel uncomfortable with the truth. I can handle it though. You obviously need someone to project on until you think about it.
    How do you say I have trouble with facts WHEN I USED NONE AS I REALIZE WHAT KIND OF @$$ YOU ARE ON THE OTHER END?? Your point would be good if you had any skill in getting that across!! I actually work with many legislators on these issues so you should realize you are not always aware who you are arguing with. Also, your commentas only add to what I already know; everyone in their car being held up by a bike wants to take them out, this is what your comments reflect. Because of people like you I rarely ride road. I am educated on the subject, but you sir are just an @$$!!...Project that!!
    Black Sheep...where it'ss at!!
    "I'm not known for my patience. Patience is a polite quality and often appropriate, but it rarely gets things done. Impatience, however, is the hunger for results and intolerance for excuses and delays." LA

  37. #37
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,113
    Quote Originally Posted by miSSionary
    How do you say I have trouble with facts WHEN I USED NONE...
    LOL... I guess that would be your trouble with facts then... you don't use any.


    AS I REALIZE WHAT KIND OF @$$ YOU ARE ON THE OTHER END??
    Yea right.

    Your point would be good if you had any skill in getting that across!!
    I must have skill getting it across because it sure got you thinking....

    I actually work with many legislators on these issues so you should realize you are not always aware who you are arguing with.
    I really don't care who you think you are. It is of no interest to me when I choose my words.

    Also, your commentas only add to what I already know; everyone in their car being held up by a bike wants to take them out, this is what your comments reflect.
    It is the truth isn't it? I have almost been killed in charity rides... Lift-Up in particular. Drivers that don't ride have no respect for riders, and drivers that ARE riders hardly do. I have no issue with my words reflecting truth.

    Because of people like you I rarely ride road. I am educated on the subject, but you sir are just an @$$!!...Project that!!


    Because of riders like me, you rarely ride the road? Or is it just "people" like me? What do I do that could possibly effect you so? I should be flattered, but the irrationality of the situation for you is a bit sad. I think the projection statement that I made, and you used, might have hit a little close to home for you.

    Who knows what you are talking about or afraid of....

  38. #38
    pin 'er up
    Reputation: miSSionary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,568
    DammoNNomaD,
    You clearly have too much time on your hands and are obviously on here more than the bike. I am done arguing with you...have fun twisting everyone's words!! BTW~ I have no fear of you or those like you...I am off to ride my bike, too bad you will be here bashing your fellow cycling user group and not riding!!
    Black Sheep...where it'ss at!!
    "I'm not known for my patience. Patience is a polite quality and often appropriate, but it rarely gets things done. Impatience, however, is the hunger for results and intolerance for excuses and delays." LA

  39. #39
    Perpetually single track
    Reputation: ibmkidIII's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,170
    Ahh I love the internet. Very impressive Carl. Always interesting to see how long a troll will argue when faced with solid logical arguement one after another....

  40. #40
    Which way? Uphill.
    Reputation: nepbug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    826
    interesting argument, it reminds of those stupid bumper stickers:
    "Share the road, share the taxes"
    Could you imagine how much money it would cost to issue bicycle operator licenses and how much it would cost to enforce that. What a waste of resources, maintain trails instead. That sort of thing would also discourage people from getting into the sport, with obesity at an all time high do we need to give someone another excuse to not get active?

    Oh yeah and the original topic, the Alice morning show is not very good in my opinion. This just points out that they don't know how their audience is going to react. I guess this is what you get when you hire DJ's from other states and they aren't familiar with the lifestyle in Colorado, I once heard them call CU "Colorado University", come on figure it out (they even had a sex scandal all over the media and the DJ's didn't pick up through all of it that it's the University of Colorado). They just seem very out of touch with their surroundings to me.

  41. #41
    Cut Casing Whisperer
    Reputation: Mr.P's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,329
    The image of a troll... The avatar fits!

    In his own words:
    Quote Originally Posted by DamoNNomaD
    I am playing a little devil's advocate
    = Troll, as you are dodging the facts (laws) presented.

    DamoNNomaD, you had an interesting point to begin with, but then you blew it up and started embarrasing yourself.

    Unfortunately, the original thread, about "the encitement of rage against cyclists" has been hijacked. It's important to call out this station. See here:
    Road Rage On Page Mill Road
    Last edited by Mr.P; 04-19-2006 at 09:46 AM.

  42. #42
    ride
    Reputation: ignazjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,087
    Quote Originally Posted by nepbug
    interesting argument, it reminds of those stupid bumper stickers:
    "Share the road, share the taxes"
    Could you imagine how much money it would cost to issue bicycle operator licenses and how much it would cost to enforce that. What a waste of resources, maintain trails instead. That sort of thing would also discourage people from getting into the sport, with obesity at an all time high do we need to give someone another excuse to not get active?
    I always thought that was funny, too. Not to mention that not 100% of road funding comes from licenses. A property owning tax paying cyclist already helps pay for the roads without a license.

    Now, where do I sign up for my refund?
    Redstone Cyclery
    intense*transition*rocky mountain*turner
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    52
    Yeah, boy I think we really got off the thread there . . .anyways sounds like a pretty typical cheesy DJ, they get paid to talk, not think. They attempt to make up for their lack of humor with 'potty' talk trying to get laughs off overused or obvious comments about sex, body functions or any other cheap laugh topic. In this case the old 'points' system for hitting cats, dogs, grandma's, bikers, etc, I haven't used that kind of joke since about the time we all used to play "Paper Boy" at Chuck E Cheese and cracked up when you burped and farted at the same time!

  44. #44
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,113
    Quote Originally Posted by miSSionary
    DammoNNomaD,
    You clearly have too much time on your hands and are obviously on here more than the bike. I am done arguing with you...have fun twisting everyone's words!! BTW~ I have no fear of you or those like you...I am off to ride my bike, too bad you will be here bashing your fellow cycling user group and not riding!!
    Pffft. It was cold and rainy/snowy yesterday. I had been on the bike for 5 days prior to that. I was on the bike all morning. I will be on the bike this afternoon after dialing some air pressures.

    You don't have to argue. If I am "twisting" your words, then maybe you can point out a specific. Maybe I misunderstood you. I have no idea why you would have to exclaim that you have no fear of me or "those like me"... I am happy though that you are not afraid. I ride more than you will ever know miss... hehe... more than you will ever know.

    Riding is the easy part. I have it good.

  45. #45
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,113
    Quote Originally Posted by ibmkidIII
    Ahh I love the internet. Very impressive Carl. Always interesting to see how long a troll will argue when faced with solid logical arguement one after another....
    As I have said. Ol' Carl has been forcefed that "truth" all his life. Why would he abandon it now? I never embraced the "law" regarding bikes. I never fell for the "inherint right" to ride bike on the roads of America. It is a sham... a lie. I can't jump on I-70 at Glenwood Springs and head to Vail... it is against the law. I have NO rights in regards to even short interstate travel as far as my bike is concerned. We simply can not use it.

    The truth is that any loopholed law can be changed at any time. Cities are starting to ban bikes on some of the most travelled roads.... even small rural cities. All it takes is a couple of cars smashing bikes, and it is over. Rights? What rights. You have no rights.

    But you go ahead and label me all you want. I am sorry you are uncomfortable about it. There is NO arguement when it comes to bikers losing privilages on the public roadways of America. It is a fact. Your safety is being used as the excuse, because you can't take care of yourself. Rights? What a laugh. They are sure laughing at people like Ol' Carl.

  46. #46
    Perpetually single track
    Reputation: ibmkidIII's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,170
    Somewhere out there is a very sad bridge....
    The more out of shape you are, the steeper the hill looks.

  47. #47
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,113
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.P
    The image of a troll... The avatar fits!

    In his own words:

    = Troll, as you are dodging the facts (laws) presented.

    DamoNNomaD, you had an interesting point to begin with, but then you blew it up and started embarrasing yourself.

    Unfortunately, the original thread, about "the encitement of rage against cyclists" has been hijacked. It's important to call out this station. See here:
    Road Rage On Page Mill Road
    Let me tell you a few things chief.

    I don't define what a "troll" is. I don't need the term. It doesn't apply to anything in my world but children's fairytales. There is nothing wrong with adding a bit of devil's advocate to a point in a discussion.

    I am not concerned in the slightest as to your idea of my embarrassment. It is impossible for me to become embarrassed on an internet forum. It simply will NEVER happen. Applying embarrassment to my words is a waste of time.

    The right or privilage of riding a bike on the roads of America is a direct relation to how people FEEL about bikes being on the roads. It has a direct coorelation to how people REACT to bikes on the roads. Determining the rights, or supposed rights of riding the roadways is essential to understanding why bikes are being kicked off the roads of America while people exclaim that there is nothing to worry about because it is their right to ride on the road.

    The sense of security some have is false. Many drivers feel that bikers should not be on the roads. They pay to use the roads as drivers. They pay licence fees. They jump through the hoops. Bikers are a danger and a distraction. Roads are not designed for bikes. Roads are being designed to limit bike usage everyday.

    I am not sure where you feel the thread should have gone, but understanding what is happening to bikers privilages in America is key to understanding where these radio shows get their topics. It is key to understanding the disdain that some have for bikers on the roads. It is key to understanding why bikers are being slowly and purposefully and quite literally... ran off the road. It is key to understanding the lies we have all been told as bikers about our "rights" to use the roads.
    Last edited by DamoNNomaD; 04-19-2006 at 01:46 PM.

  48. #48
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,113
    Quote Originally Posted by ibmkidIII
    Somewhere out there is a very sad bridge....
    Do you address points, or do you just label people with one-liners? If you have a problem, then be specific with it.

  49. #49
    DWF
    DWF is offline
    Non Dual Bliss
    Reputation: DWF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,240
    Quote Originally Posted by DamoNNomaD
    The sense of security some have is false. Many drivers feel that bikers should not be on the roads. They pay to use the roads as drivers. They pay licence fees. They jump through the hoops. Bikers are a danger and a distraction. Roads are not designed for bikes. Roads are being designed to limit bike usage everyday.
    BFD, that's a red herring. As a driver, I also jump through hoops and pay license fees so what does it matter if another driver thinks I, as a cyclist, shouldn't be on the road? That's right, it doesn't matter until it's put to a vote and the majority decides what matters and what doesn't and the appropriate laws are passed. Here in Colorado, we've been through this many times and each time, cyclists rights have gained ground.

    You pay taxes & you vote and you have the same rights to the road as those driving cars, trucks, motorcycles, mopeds, walkers, hikers, you freaking name it. If you haven't noticed, they've been putting bike lanes all over Denver area roads. This summer they're even putting a bike lane on both sides of Deer Creek Canyon. Let me play devil's advocate for a sec: except for you, everyone here seems to understand how this works so just what is your special "understanding"?
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

  50. #50
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: 2melow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,635
    Hey James,

    Yup, this happened in Ohio - One of my dealers (lois) that owns Century Cycles fought this hard.

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...nel+lois+cowan

    This guy will hear it for sure. I've emailed this link to bicycle retailer as well.
    Niner Bikes employee. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Niner-...3652275?ref=ts
    Front Range Forum Moderator

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •