Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Anyone else have bad luck with purchasing new bike products? Rant time!

So my biking life has always been about buying used products...and I've never had a problem. Everything always held up for a respectable amount of time. This past year I figured I'd give back to the industry and start buying some new stuff...

In just the last year I spent way more than I would've ever wanted to or expected, and these are the problems I ran in to.

1) A $950 frame that snapped at the head tube-top tube weld my 2nd day riding it. I'm still awaiting for the agreed upon replacement almost a year later...but it is close and I'm extremely excited...the new person I'm dealing with is fantastic so far.

2) A new $125 headset craps out after a handful of rides, only to be told that there was a defect, and they redesigned them. I'm still awaiting for warranty replacement 4-5 months later...it was just shipped last week.

3) A new $600 suspension fork comes in with crooked lowers....but I got a warranty replacement quickly.

4) Another new ($1200) suspension fork's brake post mounts strip out at below specified torque (yes, I'm careful with that kind of stuff)....but new lowers have been warrantied and awaiting them now...very cool they warranty something that could be deemed user error...but still a huge hassle.

5) An item stated it was delivered through USPS delivery confirmation, but it did not arrive. Contacted said company, they said "sorry dude". They did not offer an option to purchase shipping insurance. Luckily 2-3 days later, it ended up in my mailbox, as the person that got it was nice enough to throw it back in the mail. My local USPS was awesome throughout this mess and did everything possible to get me my package...so kudos to local awesomeness.

6) And another thing just this week that is putting me over the edge....

A wrong part ($150) came boxed in what was labeled correctly to what I ordered. I noticed this before taking it home from the shop, but I said F it, it'll work and I don't want to deal with more returns. I installed it and noticed that the product was actually half the correct part, and half the wrong part and would no longer work. The wrong attachment was bolted to it...basically it was assembled incorrectly from the factory. Awesome... so, I call said company, as I figured they'd just send me the part to quickly bolt on and fix the mistake.

They asked me to ship it back to them because they wanted to see what the problem was first hand and try to mitigate it from happening again. I said I can just return it to my shop I bought it from so I don't have to pay shipping. They insisted that they wanted it in hand, and that I'd get a replacement quicker if I sent it to them directly. I kindly obliged so they could possibly fix the problem for other end users instead of it just going back to the distributor. I told the store I bought it from what I was doing...they stated they would indeed take it back at no cost and get it fixed up even though it was installed. I said I'll take care of it directly through the company anyway, as the company seemed legitimately concerned. Costed me $7 shipping...no big deal.

I then get a call from them today, saying they'll replace it, and not sure how that mistake happened. But first.........they asked me to pay for the shipping back to me.......... Are you kidding me???

I said "No, I told you I could return this to my shop at no cost to myself. This was not something I personally broke, and you still insisted I return it to you for inspection...and I said fine, as I figured I'd be helping you out". Granted, it's not a lot of money, but I was pretty PO'ed. They then started questioning me as to if I bought the product new.......I told them during the first phone call that I installed it before noticing the assembly mistake, and they said no problem... I also included my receipt with every little small part that was included with my shipment to them which was dated the day before I called them and got the RA#.

So yeah....they ended up not charging me....but for f@cks sake...how much more petty crap do I have to deal with just to get some bike parts?

---------------------------------------------

So there...those are pretty much the only big bike purchases I've made this past year, and all of them have caused me a headache. To be totally fair...I have had great customer service through most of these companies, so I can't be mad about it all...but it seems there is a problem with every single thing I buy new, and I'm becoming quite jaded about it.

I even have friends that notice me going through all of this and get mad at it before I do....but finally, I think I'm the fed up one. I am going to continue to buy used as much as possible....I have actually had better luck with stuff that's been used for 2-3 years....

Rant has just f@ucking turned off...

...and yes...Gearwhine is whining...no need to make the obvious joke...and if you know me, you know I am not a complainer...except when I forget to eat before a ride.

a dad
    Jan 2004
    geez.... you have had some seriously bad luck.. you should get some sort of prize.
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by gearwhine
    I am going to continue to buy used as much as possible....I have actually had better luck with stuff that's been used for 2-3 years....
    Will you still bring us whiskey every now and then?

And send me the serial # off the back crown of that fork plz.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Yikes. If it makes you feel any better I've only bought new and never had a problem with frames or forks or, for gods sakes, headsets that last me forever. User error maybe? Just kidding, must be bad luck.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by flowtron

And send me the serial # off the back crown of that fork plz.
    I already sent it to Scott's e-mail when he said the lowers were on their way! I'll shoot it to you as well right now............and done.

And whiskey...you don't even need to ask. I will be back with it when I decide to buy more. Whiskey is one of those things that I buy new and it seems to treat me pretty well.

Actually...one other purchase was a set of custom wheels from this fine man's workplace...and they have been trouble free for a year now...it's nice to forget you bought something because it just works. Also, this guy is the one that offered to take care of the last problem I had. I should've just accepted...damnit

...and user error vs bad luck....It's either user error, assembler error, manufacturer error, or bad luck. Since bad luck is partially my fault...2 1/2 out of 4 leans problems away from my own fault...so yeah...I'll go with that!

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    I can also just pre-use stuff for you if you want.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by flowtron
    I can also just pre-use stuff for you if you want.
    There's a novel idea....

"we test your gear before you get it for a full season! You may pay more with us, but you know you're getting a solid product!"

I'm starting a bike shop tomorrow!

ride
    Haha, I like your idea flowtron. Be stoked you picked this stuff up from a quality shop, it could be worse.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Only problems I've ever had are with people who run bike companies smoking too much crack. It's always say one thing, and do another with them. I've only had to deal with a couple, but man I think they run on a different clock than the rest of us. My rule of thumb is, anticipate a product failure a month before it happens, order the replacement then, and by the time it actually fails, you might have the replacement, and it might be the part you ordered.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr
    Haha, I like your idea flowtron. Be stoked you picked this stuff up from a quality shop, it could be worse.
    The problems that I ran in to caused me to start buying solely from Salvagetti. If a product came in defective, or just incorrect, they have taken care of me no problem. I can't ever complain about their help with all of this stuff.

It's just that no matter what I order nowadays needs some kind of return on it. Regardless of the service I get from the shop or even the direct company...it's just frustrating as hell to never just get what I want and be done with it. Once in a while is fine...but on 6 of my 7 last bigger purchases...yeah...screw that.

ride
    I hear you. We definitely have a list going on here at Redstone of things we won't order or at least we'll advise against them. There are definitely some things on the market that are good and proven and there are some things that are not. Reminds me of the big cnc boom of bike parts in the mid to late 90s. Lost of consumers doing field testing...
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

Living the High Life
    You're having tons of bad lucky, no argument there. But running a bike team I hear about this kind of stuff from my riders, sponsors, other team managers, our support shop, etc.

Its the bike industry. Some of it isn't their fault, these things come from over seas, in small numbers and may only have production runs a few times a year. And DH stuff in particular is an incredibly small # of parts compared to XC or road.

But the year for a replacement frame is BS. I've heard of people waiting that long before too, and by the time they get the frame they're so ecstatic they seem to forget they've been waiting for a year.

If I find a company or a bike shop that has their ***** together I stick with them. <--- Hey I used a ! in ****, they've banned that too? Tricky buggers. Well shlt.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Sounds like someone is have a case of the Mondays???

Quote Originally Posted by gearwhine
    So my biking life has always been about buying used products...and I've never had a problem. Everything always held up for a respectable amount of time. This past year I figured I'd give back to the industry and start buying some new stuff...

In just the last year I spent way more than I would've ever wanted to or expected, and these are the problems I ran in to.

1) A $950 frame that snapped at the head tube-top tube weld my 2nd day riding it. I'm still awaiting for the agreed upon replacement almost a year later...but it is close and I'm extremely excited...the new person I'm dealing with is fantastic so far.

2) A new $125 headset craps out after a handful of rides, only to be told that there was a defect, and they redesigned them. I'm still awaiting for warranty replacement 4-5 months later...it was just shipped last week.

3) A new $600 suspension fork comes in with crooked lowers....but I got a warranty replacement quickly.

4) Another new ($1200) suspension fork's brake post mounts strip out at below specified torque (yes, I'm careful with that kind of stuff)....but new lowers have been warrantied and awaiting them now...very cool they warranty something that could be deemed user error...but still a huge hassle.

5) An item stated it was delivered through USPS delivery confirmation, but it did not arrive. Contacted said company, they said "sorry dude". They did not offer an option to purchase shipping insurance. Luckily 2-3 days later, it ended up in my mailbox, as the person that got it was nice enough to throw it back in the mail. My local USPS was awesome throughout this mess and did everything possible to get me my package...so kudos to local awesomeness.

6) And another thing just this week that is putting me over the edge....

A wrong part ($150) came boxed in what was labeled correctly to what I ordered. I noticed this before taking it home from the shop, but I said F it, it'll work and I don't want to deal with more returns. I installed it and noticed that the product was actually half the correct part, and half the wrong part and would no longer work. The wrong attachment was bolted to it...basically it was assembled incorrectly from the factory. Awesome... so, I call said company, as I figured they'd just send me the part to quickly bolt on and fix the mistake.

They asked me to ship it back to them because they wanted to see what the problem was first hand and try to mitigate it from happening again. I said I can just return it to my shop I bought it from so I don't have to pay shipping. They insisted that they wanted it in hand, and that I'd get a replacement quicker if I sent it to them directly. I kindly obliged so they could possibly fix the problem for other end users instead of it just going back to the distributor. I told the store I bought it from what I was doing...they stated they would indeed take it back at no cost and get it fixed up even though it was installed. I said I'll take care of it directly through the company anyway, as the company seemed legitimately concerned. Costed me $7 shipping...no big deal.

I then get a call from them today, saying they'll replace it, and not sure how that mistake happened. But first.........they asked me to pay for the shipping back to me.......... Are you kidding me???

I said "No, I told you I could return this to my shop at no cost to myself. This was not something I personally broke, and you still insisted I return it to you for inspection...and I said fine, as I figured I'd be helping you out". Granted, it's not a lot of money, but I was pretty PO'ed. They then started questioning me as to if I bought the product new.......I told them during the first phone call that I installed it before noticing the assembly mistake, and they said no problem... I also included my receipt with every little small part that was included with my shipment to them which was dated the day before I called them and got the RA#.

So yeah....they ended up not charging me....but for f@cks sake...how much more petty crap do I have to deal with just to get some bike parts?

---------------------------------------------

So there...those are pretty much the only big bike purchases I've made this past year, and all of them have caused me a headache. To be totally fair...I have had great customer service through most of these companies, so I can't be mad about it all...but it seems there is a problem with every single thing I buy new, and I'm becoming quite jaded about it.

I even have friends that notice me going through all of this and get mad at it before I do....but finally, I think I'm the fed up one. I am going to continue to buy used as much as possible....I have actually had better luck with stuff that's been used for 2-3 years....

Rant has just f@ucking turned off...

...and yes...Gearwhine is whining...no need to make the obvious joke...and if you know me, you know I am not a complainer...except when I forget to eat before a ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I posted this on the IBIS page...

I think I must be cursed with my new HD...

Placed my order with bike shop that goes out of business=6 weeks waiting
    Getting my money back from above shop owner=2 more weeks
    Place order with another bike shop and finally my bike arrives=another 3 week process

Finally get the bike together and take it for a ride=Awesome, most fun ride, can't wait for my next ride

Second ride, FOX Float RP23 blows out and can't hold air. Now who knows how long the return process will take!

I am cursed? I just want to ride, is that too much to ask?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrock450
    Sounds like someone is have a case of the Mondays???
    I'll give you a case of the mondays! Happy hour tonight?

FYI.....that is no yawn.

Sawyerdog...purchasing something from a shop that goes out of business has to be pretty scary. If they declared bankruptcy, they wouldn't be obligated to pay you back...at least I don't think they are. You got off lucky there in my opinion...or just a noble shop owner.

Good luck with Fox getting your shock fixed. I actually refuse to buy from them just because of the spotty service I hear about...sometimes it's fantastic...sometimes it's pretty below par. They do make great products though...and they require homemade tools to rebuild a fork...

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    So...figured I'd add to this. My new frame that was built as a replacement to the above mentioned broken frame finally came in on Friday. The box had an obvious hole in the side. It looked like a fork lift fork went right through the box or something......low and behold...it dented the rear seatstay. My luck continues.

Now I get the pleasure of dealing with shipping insurance between Canada Post and USPS...it'll for sure be a battle as to who is paying for the damage.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Anyone else have bad luck with purchasing new bike products? Rant time!
    Absolutely, but the bike industry generally does not have huge beta testing departments. Years ago I sold out to the man. (Performance bike) and buy as much stuff as I can from them cause of their no question guarantee. (In other words like REI, if it does not meet your expectations of how it should perform or how long it should last, bring it back.)
    So, over last 20 years it has saved me literally thousands of dollars on high tech low weight cutting edge wheels and etc.....that just fall apart after a few months. If I can buy from them (even though they are less high tech than they used to be) I still do.
    Same with REI. Ya I am a sellout but try bringing something back after a few months or more to most bike shops or online retailers.

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by glovemtb View Post
    Same with REI. Ya I am a sellout but try bringing something back after a few months or more to most bike shops or online retailers.
    Sell out or satisfied customer? I'm all for supporting small business, but they need to function like a business and not a bunch of real world drop out stoners. Its a shame you couldn't find a little independent shop but I don't see anything wrong with expecting service and support from a place your spending money at.

I've dealt with several small shops and found one I like and can trust, Mojo Wheels. They have a very high level of having their shlt together.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

Digital Toast
    Every time you buy a used part a angel get's it's wings.

However when you do have to buy a new part, getting the parts from a show with which you have a good rapport is the best. Just in case there's a issue.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    ....add another to the list. The headtube wasn't reamed deep enough for the headset to press in completely. I'm serisouly beside myself right now.......

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gearwhine View Post
    ....add another to the list. The headtube wasn't reamed deep enough for the headset to press in completely. I'm serisouly beside myself right now.......
    Why would you ever ride a frame that has had two serious defects in a row? Sounds like the place making that frame is soddy at best. I would never be comfortable on a ride, just waiting for the frame to snap at the worst possible time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mhaskell View Post
    Why would you ever ride a frame that has had two serious defects in a row? Sounds like the place making that frame is soddy at best. I would never be comfortable on a ride, just waiting for the frame to snap at the worst possible time.
    .....??? You're not quite reading....the dent is from shipping, and it was packaged extremely well, so there can be no fault on the builder there. The shipping company just REALLY f'ed up. We are working on insurance payout now.

And reaming...i've talked to multiple reputable builders to find a reamer to finish it off, and they have stated they have run into the same problem once in a while, as they just forget to set the reamer to the correct depth. It's still crappy that I have to deal with it for sure, especially since this reamer is not exactly commonplace yet...but the builder definitely can not be deemed soddy by anyone from what I've stated here. A mistake or two...sure....soddy, nope.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    .....??? You're not quite reading....the dent is from shipping, and it was packaged extremely well, so there can be no fault on the builder there. The shipping company just REALLY f'ed up. We are working on insurance payout now.

And reaming...i've talked to multiple reputable builders to find a reamer to finish it off, and they have stated they have run into the same problem once in a while, as they just forget to set the reamer to the correct depth. It's still crappy that I have to deal with it for sure, especially since this reamer is not exactly commonplace yet...but the builder definitely can not be deemed soddy by anyone from what I've stated here. A mistake or two...sure....soddy, nope.
    Maybe I am reding it wrong but I thought the frame snapped at the head tube? Sounds like a defect, poor design, or bad craftsmanship. The second defect was the head tube not reamed correctly, which would show that quality control is either shoddy or non existant. You would think the QC inspector would at least measure the depth of the ream before sending out the frame?

Hopefully the builder didn't forget to set the welder correctly when he was building the frame...

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    So...figured I'd add to this. My new frame that was built as a replacement to the above mentioned broken frame finally came in on Friday. The box had an obvious hole in the side. It looked like a fork lift fork went right through the box or something......low and behold...it dented the rear seatstay. My luck continues.

Now I get the pleasure of dealing with shipping insurance between Canada Post and USPS...it'll for sure be a battle as to who is paying for the damage.
    Damn! That must be one heavy frame that they decided to use a forklift! (I'm kidding of course.)

Do you feel like naming some names from your original post?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mhaskell View Post
    Maybe I am reding it wrong but I thought the frame snapped at the head tube? Sounds like a defect, poor design, or bad craftsmanship. The second defect was the head tube not reamed correctly, which would show that quality control is either shoddy or non existant. You would think the QC inspector would at least measure the depth of the ream before sending out the frame?

Hopefully the builder didn't forget to set the welder correctly when he was building the frame...
    Honestly...you're not someone I should add fuel to. You pull a lot of information out of ntohing. So I'm leaving it at that.

This post is not meant to discuss the problems in detail...those details I discuss with the builder and my friends now...it's just to state my bad luck with nearly everything bike related.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast