Bad Andy

Anyone else get caught?

Came up with some extra time tonight, so headed to do Zorro/Dakota/MW/Zorro/Grn Mtn (with Amoeba). Unfortunately, I did not heed the clouds' warnings. Made it up Zorro, and 1/2 mile down Dakota, before the sleet/hail/lightning started. Luckily I decided to turn around there, b/c it just got worse, and quickly. It hurts to ride in hail. It was just tiny ones, but my legs felt like they were burning. And I was happy the lightning was just cloud to cloud, not cloud to ground, otherwise I may be typing this from the hospital - or worse...there were some CLOSE ones!
    Sorry Zorro, about riding you in the mud, and sliding halfway down you out of control, but I was caught in a storm.
    Anyone else?
    Saw 2 others - one headed up Zorro before me, the other after, and when we passed after I called it quits, he apparently kept going.

percocet pioneer.
    Yep. Was shuttling maxwell at the time.

Living the High Life
    No, I've been up to 11+ hour days at work, and it will continue for the next month or so
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithnu
    No, I've been up to 11+ hour days at work, and it will continue for the next month or so
    It must be an epidemic. Not only 11+ hours, but in NJ.

Bad Andy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithnu
    Sorry to hear that, but that's part of being a rocket scientist - so I don't feel TOOOOO bad for you!
    The ride was similar to LOTB that one night as far as the lightning and wetness go, and then throw some hail in there, and you'll get the idea.

mtbr member
    that was me who was stupid enough to keep going. i didn't need my light with all the lightning over top....
    those rocks aren't much fun when wet.

Bad Andy
    Dang - I had a feeling you may have been an MTBR guy - shoulda stopped and talked, but it was just starting to get nasty, and you seemed to be on a roll!
    Did you stay dry?
    How far did you go?
    Did you catch the guy in front?
    I almost drove over to HW 26 to see if I could find you or the other guy and offer a ride back to Rooney!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Nope, heeded the weather radar. So parked at Rooney and got out early. Was expecting high winds by 2 pm or so and it did not happen. But felt really bad so even though great day had a suck ride anyway.

mtbr member
    yeah - i would've stopped but i thought i might be able to beat the worst of the storm - not even close, i got hailed on and literally was expecting to get by a lightning bolt. I turned around on that dinosaur ridge road.
    I don't think I saw that same guy who was in front of you but someone did arrive in the parking lot who was on the mathews winters side when the sh!t hit the fan.

The thing that sucks is that was my last ride of the year as I am having acl surgery tomorrow...ugh!! all i wanted was one more great ride.

Bad Andy
    Quote Originally Posted by hungryhead
    The thing that sucks is that was my last ride of the year as I am having acl surgery tomorrow...ugh!! all i wanted was one more great ride.
    Just think of it this way - you'll remember the ride for a long time - I know I will.
    As far as the surgery, good luck. They are very successful these days, and have come a long ways from even 10 years ago. Do what the Dr. and PT tell you, and you will be better than new!

Moosehead
    glad you guys got out safely. we were watching ginormous horizontal and vertical bolts reign down most of the front range from office building in denver. also got dark fast. it was wild.

TEAM TOPEAK - ERGON
    I got out around noon time for a road ride. Got back about 15 minutes before the wind switched to the north....the temps dropped 20 degrees....and the rain/sleet began to fall.

<object width="400" height="302"> <param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /> <param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /> <param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=2030519&amp;server=vimeo.com &amp;show_title=0&amp;show_byline=0&amp;show_portr ait=0&amp;color=c9ff23&amp;fullscreen=1" /> <embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=2030519&amp;server=vimeo.com &amp;show_title=0&amp;show_byline=0&amp;show_portr ait=0&amp;color=c9ff23&amp;fullscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="400" height="302"></embed></object><br />

simple
    Quote Originally Posted by andychrysler
    Came up with some extra time tonight, so headed to do Zorro/Dakota/MW/Zorro/Grn Mtn
    I did that exact ride at about 1pm yesterday. Perfect weather and just a few OBG (oldies but goodies) out there riding. I need to do more mid-day mtn bike rides. Sorry you got stuck in the weather, it got nasty quick.

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    I was riding home from work in Aurora, watching that squall come in, hoping I would get north of it.....no such luck. I got hammered by huge drops of rain about 1/2 mile from home.
    Heading out to do that ride right now, though it looks a little interesting outside.

edit: Just looked at the radar map. Dang.
    Last edited by flowtron; 10-22-2008 at 01:25 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by andychrysler
    Just think of it this way - you'll remember the ride for a long time - I know I will.
    As far as the surgery, good luck. They are very successful these days, and have come a long ways from even 10 years ago. Do what the Dr. and PT tell you, and you will be better than new!
    Funny you mention that because 10 years ago I had ACL surgery (and I was only 16). I've had friends go through it recently and seeing the difference in the procedure is amazing. Good luck w/ the surgery and follow andychrysler's advice and you WILL be better than new.

I learned my lesson when I rode up Falcon in hail/lightning last year when a bolt struck the ground about 50 yards from me. Luckily the shelter was in sight and I dropped the bike and sprinted through the brush to it. Glad you all made it!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Good luck with the surgery, follow the therapist stretching advice after you heal. You will come back much faster than most anyone else in the athletic population. The high cardio/aerobic athletes such as cyclist seem to have that ability. One of the post surgical therapies typically is the trainer, so maybe that hints at the authenticity of my statement above.
    Jeff, requesting a coed paceline for the next video.

Bad Andy
    Quote Originally Posted by ghawk
    Jeff, requesting a coed paceline for the next video.
    +1

And since this thread is still alive, here are a few pix.
    1-cool view and DARK clouds climbing up Zorro
    2-looking at the clouds to the west from the Zorro/DR intersection
    3-looking north-ish at Lookout Mtn from almost the top of the 1st set of stairs on DR. It wasn't actually this dark yet, but since I am not a good picture taker, the flash brightened up the scrub oak in the front and darkened the back. The clouds look even worse than they actually were in this pic.
    4-Same story with this pic - it makes it look really nasty - still nowhere near as dark as it looks, but I like the pic.
    5-My turn-around spot. You can tell it just started raining. I saw hungryhead a few minutes after this, and everything was wet then, and then the hail, lightning, etc...
    How ya like the bike? I bought it used back in '95, and rode it until 2000. I think my project for the winter will be to convert it to singlespeed!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    How's that Woody's pizza sitting? See you at A-Basin. Ha.
    WTF

@2whlfun
    Aug 2008
    I was leading an mtb ride with a group of kids from the Lakewood Link rec center that day and the hail started just a few minutes before we got back to the vehicles. Owwwwwww, I'm not as big of a fan of large helmet vents as I used to be plus I had 2 day old trail rash on my forearm that STUNG!

The lightning (in late October)! was pretty scary with nooob mtb kids too!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0