mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Anyone else furloughed? Where you riding?

So I'm furloughed (work for the NPS here in Denver). Anyone else getting some unpaid leave? Where are you going to ride?
    I'm assuming all federal lands are closed so Buff Creek is out. Might head down to Crested Butte, but some of that might be fed lands too, not sure though.

Any recommendations? I think Moab is out too, well parts of it. Maybe I'll head to Fruita...is any of that federal?

Thanks in advance for answering any of my questions.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bho4779 View Post
    So I'm furloughed (work for the NPS here in Denver). Anyone else getting some unpaid leave? Where are you going to ride?
    I'm assuming all federal lands are closed so Buff Creek is out. Might head down to Crested Butte, but some of that might be fed lands too, not sure though.

Any recommendations? I think Moab is out too, well parts of it. Maybe I'll head to Fruita...is any of that federal?

Thanks in advance for answering any of my questions.
    I would think actively managed Federal lands (ie: anything with a gate house) are closed. Maybe I'm completely off base, but I would assume FS and BLM land are unaffected?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    That's what I was hoping cause places like Buffalo Creek aren't "managed" by USFS rangers, but they do have fire crews there...who are likely essential and not furloughed. I guess I should just call and find out.
    I did read that some BLM land in Utah and Oregon are closed, but like you said, I guess it depends on whether or not they are actively managed.

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by bho4779 View Post
    That's what I was hoping cause places like Buffalo Creek aren't "managed" by USFS rangers, but they do have fire crews there...who are likely essential and not furloughed. I guess I should just call and find out.
    I did read that some BLM land in Utah and Oregon are closed, but like you said, I guess it depends on whether or not they are actively managed.
    Yeah, like the Sand Flats Road maybe. Nobody to staff the little guardhouse, closed gate. But that doesn't mean you couldn't ride up from town, like a Real Man™, and step over the gate.

It would take quite a bit of staff to close the National Forests and BLM. If there's no manned pay station, there's probably no change. I'd be interested to hear if anybody knows different.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

friend of Apex
    mmmm, eggs

the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

mtbr member
    I'm sitting at home on mandatory vaca...
    I'm gonna update my resume, and send them to entities in Canada...specifically BC Hydro, and see if I can go back home.

Double-dip recession into The Great Depression v2.0, coming up in two weeks w/ the debt ceiling. I'm the HELL out of here!
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    The vast majority of Forest Service trails are unaffected with the exception of things like scheduled maintenance projects being delayed or cancelled and things like that. National parks or other similar fee areas are most likely closed.

I work closely with a lot of folks in our local ranger district and I feel for them. They have bills to pay and families to support like everyone else. Friggin wing nut tea baggers.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Yep, looks like yall are right. Received an email back from the USFS and forest access is not closed.

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    Yeah, like the Sand Flats Road maybe. Nobody to staff the little guardhouse, closed gate. But that doesn't mean you couldn't ride up from town, like a Real Man™, and step over the gate.

It would take quite a bit of staff to close the National Forests and BLM. If there's no manned pay station, there's probably no change. I'd be interested to hear if anybody knows different.
    Sandflats isn't federal. They are gonna be open. Everything else is BLM pretty much.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    The vast majority of Forest Service trails are unaffected with the exception of things like scheduled maintenance projects being delayed or cancelled and things like that. National parks or other similar fee areas are most likely closed.

I work closely with a lot of folks in our local ranger district and I feel for them. They have bills to pay and families to support like everyone else. Friggin wing nut tea baggers.
    Not wanting this to get into a political pissing match but let's all understand that the two houses that are causing this lockdown are still getting paid while all of the furloughed locals are getting screwed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    I'm sitting at home on mandatory vaca...
    I'm gonna update my resume, and send them to entities in Canada...specifically BC Hydro, and see if I can go back home.

Double-dip recession into The Great Depression v2.0, coming up in two weeks w/ the debt ceiling. I'm the HELL out of here!
    Any interest in hitting Kenosha today?

The Fastest of Bananas
    Im not furloughed but the people I work with are. So I really dont have much to do now...