mtbr member

Anyone done Rock Creek, west of Laramie?

Going to do Rock Creek trail west of Laramie tomorrow. Anyone got any input?

This is how it started...
    Please post back after your ride and let us know how it was. The Laramie area is starting to catch my attention. Would like to hit it before old man winter does.

slow
    Haven't ridden it, but these reviews make it sound pretty good. Other good riding above Centennial includes ride from Brooklyn Lake down to Sand Creek Road. Onbelaydave has done some riding up there, and may have some input. He had a good trail report on Sheep Lake Trail a year or 2 ago.

Terror of Sidewalls
    Jul 2007
    Its a really fun trail. I've only ridden it as a downhill (as listed on the reviews page: Park at the bottom, ride FR 111 to FR 101 up to trailhead at Sand Lake, and then descend.) but know folks who enjoy riding the trail both up and down. Beautiful canyon scenery, but the trail gets very narrow at times and the penalty for going off the trail can be severe. Lots of sharp talus - definitely bring some tubes/patch kit. All the snow melted here in Laramie this week, but it wouldn't surprise me if there's still some hanging around over there.

"Oldfart from Wayback"

I doubt you could get to the TH

Quote Originally Posted by rcstylin
    Going to do Rock Creek trail west of Laramie tomorrow. Anyone got any input?
    The Snowy's... are well snowy...

mtbr member
    Trip report...Rocky Creek, Arlington, WY

We were going to ride up the road and then down the single track. Got up there at 10 am. Took a wrong turn right off the bat and ended up about a mile off the road that we were supposed to be on and one hell-of-a valley to the east of where we should have been. Bush-whacked over to the road through sagebrush and snow. Rode up the road for a few miles and ran into snow. The road was snow packed from about 5 miles from the trailhead at about 16 miles. I made it to about 13 miles up the road (not including the detour) before my legs would not work anymore (started at about 7700 feet and made it to about 10500). I turned around and rode back down the road...and crashed about 5 times really hard because of the snow pack. The two guys I was with kept going about another 1/2 mile and got a ride from there in a truck a couple more miles to the upper trail head. They descended the single track back down to the truck and said that the snow was so deep at the top that they had to pedal going down hill for the first few miles. I made it back to the truck at about 4:30 and they made it back at about 6.

I didn't get to do the actual trail but had a 6.5 hour workout in the mountains. Hell of a day. Also saw a giant bull elk and a cow moose.

Which way? Uphill.
    Quote Originally Posted by rcstylin
    Trip report...Rocky Creek, Arlington, WY

We were going to ride up the road and then down the single track. Got up there at 10 am. Took a wrong turn right off the bat and ended up about a mile off the road that we were supposed to be on and one hell-of-a valley to the east of where we should have been. Bush-whacked over to the road through sagebrush and snow. Rode up the road for a few miles and ran into snow. The road was snow packed from about 5 miles from the trailhead at about 16 miles. I made it to about 13 miles up the road (not including the detour) before my legs would not work anymore (started at about 7700 feet and made it to about 10500). I turned around and rode back down the road...and crashed about 5 times really hard because of the snow pack. The two guys I was with kept going about another 1/2 mile and got a ride from there in a truck a couple more miles to the upper trail head. They descended the single track back down to the truck and said that the snow was so deep at the top that they had to pedal going down hill for the first few miles. I made it back to the truck at about 4:30 and they made it back at about 6.

I didn't get to do the actual trail but had a 6.5 hour workout in the mountains. Hell of a day. Also saw a giant bull elk and a cow moose.
    I think I was supposed to go up with you guys. Did you go up with Joe? I bailed after looking at the weather report and enjoyed a bluebird day of riding in the Ft. Collins/Loveland area, it was nice to see some of the trails in the north.

Thanks fro re-affirming my decision to stay in CO for Sunday.
    Blog

Just keep spinning. Just keep running. Just keep paddling.
    Just keep moving forward.

mtbr member
    Yeah...went with Joe. I feel better about it today...had an awesome workout and can't wait for the next epic ride.

Members who have read this thread: 0