mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Anyone done the betterride.net clinics in CO?

Just wondering if there is any feedback on the clinics? I'm not new to MTB, but am looking to polish up the skiils and work on the more technical aspects.

Now with 20% more fat!!
    Gene and his staff are great. Definitely enjoyed the class I took, and would recommend it to anyone!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Was the class more geared towards beginners, or to the intermediate rider?

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rsotak
    Was the class more geared towards beginners, or to the intermediate rider?
    Intermediate to advanced have been my experience in the DH camps.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    That's what I was hoping for. Thanks!

Adventurous Hacker
    Jul 2004

The Betterride clinic really helped me

The clinics are not geared toward a specific skill level. What they do is provide a solid foundation of skills that can then be applied to riding. Even strong, experienced riders may have skiils based on an improper foundation, so the clinics will help them. Newer riders will benefit as well.

I have taken two of Gene's clinics and they were both poulated with upper intermediate to lower advanced riders. When I went, I had been riding about 5 years and was frustrated with my lack of progress in developing technical skills. This seemed to be a common theme. Rider ages ranged from 28 to 63 (that's right, 63! And he was one of the strongest riders in the clinic!)

What's cool about Gene's philosophy is that what he teaches will stick with you and help you grow through multiple levels long after you complete the clinic. Groups are always kept at 7 or less which is also nice.

Having said all that, I took the class when Gene did all the teaching himself. His business has grown, and deservedly so, but I can't vouch for the quality of the instruction from the other instructors he's brought on to fill the additional demand. I'd like to think they all provide the same expert execution of a sound teaching philosophy that Gene himself gave. Hopefully a more recent graduate can chime in and confirm.
    All other things are rarely equal . . .

Antitheist & Kitten lover
    Did a class with Gene and Andy; Andy adds value to everything Gene teaches.
    Proud to race for Mojo Wheels

crashes in parkinglot
    Of the DH style classes, is there one that is a must do? I'm day dreaming about doing one of the Bootleg clinics or a more local clinic.
    Down is the new up.

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by EricTheRed
    Of the DH style classes, is there one that is a must do? I'm day dreaming about doing one of the Bootleg clinics or a more local clinic.

DH classes on a DH mountain are definitely the way to go. you will get a lot from a clinic no matter where you do it, but you will get more at one of the dedicated DH clinics such as Bootleg or Northstar.

I have done a DH clinic at Bootleg the past 2 winters and it has been a perfect escape from the Colorado Winter and opportunity to work on skills and have time to keep working on the drills before the Summer gets rolling.