Old School
    Mar 2005

Anyone been riding Captian Jack's ?

Was thinking of getting some friends together for a ride on Sunday, but not sure of the conditions up there. I expect some mud, but not sure about the snow and ice on the backside.

Is the road open to the top? or just the parking lot ?

Thanks!
    Don

I think I can.
    Are you talking about Captain Jacks or higher up?

Dam,
    Bikes are FUN

rr
    I don't do PC
    Quote Originally Posted by MyPC8MyBrain
    Was thinking of getting some friends together for a ride on Sunday, but not sure of the conditions up there. I expect some mud, but not sure about the snow and ice on the backside.

Is the road open to the top? or just the parking lot ?

Thanks!
    Don
    CJ's and Buckhorn are in great shape, been dry for awhile actually, Gold camp rd. is dry and so is Cheyenne. After you cross High drive and start CJ's there was a little melting snow before you start descending, otherwise it is perfect. Enjoy.

Just go ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder
    CJ's and Buckhorn are in great shape, been dry for awhile actually, Gold camp rd. is dry and so is Cheyenne. After you cross High drive and start CJ's there was a little melting snow before you start descending, otherwise it is perfect. Enjoy.
    Nice to meet you and your friends the other day Rick! My friend and I rode Buckhorn to Captain Jack's Saturday afternoon after leaving Palmer. Holy smokes, CJ's is a freakin' blast! It's like a twisty bobsled run with whoop-dee-doos thrown in for added pleasure! We had monstrous smiles plastered on our faces coming down that trail! Conditions were all dry, but loose in spots.

Old School
    Mar 2005

Sweeeet...

Gonna have to hook it up then. As long as the snow and ice isnt bad, this time of year the trail stays pretty tight. Loosens up a lot as the season goes forward.

Weather is looking good to at 69 degrees. Time to muck up the MTB !!

I think we'll get 4 or 5 guys together, then we can shuttle the jeep to the top. Last one down, shuttles the next run.

Thx for the info!!

Don

Cynical Bystander
    Anybody know conditions of Old stage road leading up to the top of pipeline? and conditions of pipeline itself? Probably early I'm sure... but if its open and dry we need to get a forum ride going.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

mtbr member

Was there Sat morning

I hit Columbine, Buckhorn and the Captain on Saturday morning and all were in great shape. Captain was a little loose on the last downhill section but it always is.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Stefan_G
    Nice to meet you and your friends the other day Rick! My friend and I rode Buckhorn to Captain Jack's Saturday afternoon after leaving Palmer. Holy smokes, CJ's is a freakin' blast! It's like a twisty bobsled run with whoop-dee-doos thrown in for added pleasure! We had monstrous smiles plastered on our faces coming down that trail! Conditions were all dry, but loose in spots.
    Hey Stefan, nice meeting you too, lots more in the canyon if your interested, let me know when you come down again and I will show you around -Rick

Team Inflexible
    Captin Jacks is dry....

I am thinking of heading up higher this weekend. Maybe go up Saint Marys Falls.

Has any body been in the Frostys/Jones park Areas.

My guess is there is still mass snow up there.

Last year I rode it on Memorial Day and ther was still snow up by frostys...

n00b eternal
    Quote Originally Posted by COmtbiker12
    Anybody know conditions of Old stage road leading up to the top of pipeline? and conditions of pipeline itself? Probably early I'm sure... but if its open and dry we need to get a forum ride going.
    If you want to shuttle, eli (old room mate, now married) and I are talking about getting something together... something small. I haven't been riding much in a while, but you'd be welcome to come along.

I put a new Sherman Slider on and haven't really ridden it much.

eci
    anybody up for a late morning early afternoon shuttle? ive got a big enough truck for 6 of us.

rr
    I don't do PC
    If you guys are talking about going up to Jones/Pipeline then I would rethink, there's got to be snow up there still, you can see the snow up that high from town. Last year I went on Mem. day weekend and was shut down, this year I bet it will be open a month earlier though with the lack of snow this winter.

My 2 cents anyways

Here's a sugg.- you could leave a car at the lower lot off Cheyenne rd. and then drive up to High dr lot, ride up High dr. to CJ's and ride CJ's/Gold Camp rd/Chutes or Stratton area back to the lower lot.
    Last edited by rr; 04-12-2006 at 02:46 PM.

eci
    If you guys are talking about going up to Jones/Pipeline then I would rethink, there's got to be snow up there still, you can see the snow up that high from town. Last year I went on Mem. day weekend and was shut down, this year I bet it will be open a month earlier though with the lack of snow this winter.

My 2 cents anyways

Here's a sugg.- you could leave a car at the lower lot off Cheyenne rd. and then drive up to High dr lot, ride up High dr. to CJ's and ride CJ's/Gold Camp rd/Chutes or Stratton area back to the lower lot.
    any chance you could lead us on that sat afternoon?

rr
    I don't do PC
    Quote Originally Posted by snowskilz
    any chance you could lead us on that sat afternoon?
    I might, let me check with my homies to see what's on the ride agenda for the weekend. I would usually just do this ride as a loop from town and climb up, not that much descending to warrant the shuttle, but you guys will be on your big bikes right? If were riding in the canyon then I might be able to hookup with guys at the top and ride down with you.

If not, the route is pretty easy to follow if you have any kind of a map, I could give you enough directions also to get through the ride.

-Rick

eci
    I might, let me check with my homies to see what's on the ride agenda for the weekend. I would usually just do this ride as a loop from town and climb up, not that much descending to warrant the shuttle, but you guys will be on your big bikes right? If were riding in the canyon then I might be able to hookup with guys at the top and ride down with you.

If not, the route is pretty easy to follow if you have any kind of a map, I could give you enough directions also to get through the ride.

-Rick
    yeah we'll be on the big bikes. prolly be down there about 2 can you pm me the direction to the top and bottom? and where to get a trail map at

thanks

dwj
    mtbr member
    yeah we'll be on the big bikes. prolly be down there about 2 can you pm me the direction to the top and bottom? and where to get a trail map at

thanks
    i'd be up for getting down on saturday. i might be able to scout out the snow conditions on my motorcycle tomorrow.

eci
    Quote Originally Posted by dwj
    i'd be up for getting down on saturday. i might be able to scout out the snow conditions on my motorcycle tomorrow.
    sweet! i'll pm you

cant wait to ride being stuck in atl for a week is a big damper on riding

Cynical Bystander
    sweet! i'll pm you

cant wait to ride being stuck in atl for a week is a big damper on riding
    Hey Todd, I'm in.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

SS Chimp

pipeline is...

in with very small patches of snow. Jone Park is not in with very large drifts of snow. Everything is dry as dirt unless there is a big pile of snow on it and I do mean DRY.
    all single...all the time

rr
    I don't do PC
    Quote Originally Posted by 32x18
    in with very small patches of snow. Jone Park is not in with very large drifts of snow. Everything is dry as dirt unless there is a big pile of snow on it and I do mean DRY.
    Wow, sure hope we get some spring rain, thx for the trail report.