mtbr member

Anyone been out to Buffalo Creek??

Trying to find some good riding for tomorrow and wondering how it is out there? We could hit up mount falcon if that trail is looking better. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also feel free to join in anyone else has Thursdays off. We will be there about 10.
    Live fast, Die young, Leave a good looking corpse!

Paste eater
    Total speculation but with the warmer temps I'm thinking kinda sloppy on just about anything on the FR. Maybe this weekend?

mtbr member
    Gave up and road the road bike today. Maybe next week. i need to start saving for a fat bike.
    Live fast, Die young, Leave a good looking corpse!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Anybody?

Thinking of heading out there tuesday 12/17.
    And this old trail will lead me right back to where it begins

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Honestly...out of my years going to Buff Creek...it's never a bad place or time to ride. I've ridden in pouring rain there more times than I can count (and days following pouring rain) and it's always perfectly fine.

The CT and Green Mountain may have some sloppy spots, but all the other trails are usually good to go. The crushed granite just drains so well.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by gearwhine View Post
    Honestly...out of my years going to Buff Creek...it's never a bad place or time to ride. I've ridden in pouring rain there more times than I can count (and days following pouring rain) and it's always perfectly fine.

The CT and Green Mountain may have some sloppy spots, but all the other trails are usually good to go. The crushed granite just drains so well.
    The soil at BC handles wet conditions better than most, but it will still be wet and cold with a mixture of slush, snow, and ice in shaded areas.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I don't know what you consider cold, the weather is calling for 56 today and 60 tomorrow. Sounds pretty nice to me, especially after that cold snap we had. Flip flop weather. I'm thinking about heading down there tomorrow, hoping to find some dusty trails.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    The soil at BC handles wet conditions better than most, but it will still be wet and cold with a mixture of slush, snow, and ice in shaded areas.
    I don't typically see too much slush at BC. When the ice/snow begins to melt, it drains really well. The old snow there, from my experiences, is typically dry and surprisingly grippy.

I'd still say go ride all the time at BC...you'll rarely ever have to turn around due to trail damaging conditions.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    There were some really high winds out at BC that blew lots of snow onto the trails and it was not ridable as of sunday.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Tuesday (12/17) there is still a decent bit of snow (6" ish) in a lot of shaded areas, and all the way up 543.
    And this old trail will lead me right back to where it begins

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    This time of year there's so little sun that even with fairly warm air temps, snow doesn't melt very fast. If you're getting splashed with slush and ice water for very long your going to get cold, no matter what the air temperature is. especially if it's at all windy or you're in the shade.

Days start getting longer in less than a week though so have faith.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    But, no, really, I don't care if it's cold, or if the days are short, or if I might get splashed by a little slushy, I want to know if the trails are dry enough to ride. If the trails have too much snow on them, I'll go skiing. Just trying to choose what sport to do. Thanks...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gearwhine View Post
    We rode BC, in the rain, the weekend after all of the bad flooding... Not even a mud puddle.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Anyone ventured to Buff in the past few days? Webcams in Conifer, Pine and Bailey look promising...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    yes, 2 days ago I rode from the 550 parking lot; colorado trail going west, all the way down shingle mill, down S Buffalo Creek Rd and up Nice Kitty back to the car. Most of the single track was in great shape with only a few icy spots in the shade on the Colorado trail and some wet/muddy sections in general, but not bad. S Buffalo Creek Rd had lots of ice still, very tricky. But it was worth a try and we had a great ride in the sun.

Anyone been out to Buffalo Creek??-12825470935_00e2131127_b.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Awesome. Greatly appreciate your response.