Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    a dad
    Jan 2004

anyone been on dakota ridge?

just a wondering the conditions..thanks
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

friend of Apex

Why, yes

up the east side
    Asspen_001.jpg
    Ridge is good 2 go, mud/slush on the saddle
    Asspen_002.jpg
    but the rest is good
    Asspen_003.jpg
    DanO luvin it
    Asspen_005.jpg
    Asspen_013.jpg
    DanO hating it. The winter ales have taken their toll
    Asspen_009.jpg
    when asked how the hill climb was, DanO had no reply
    Asspen_004.jpg
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

The Dog.
    Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR
    when asked how the hill climb was, DanO had no reply
    That's because DanO couldn't hear you and should probably take off his iPod on the trail.

Obviously he expects others to hear his little pepper bell.

friend of Apex

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogdude222
    That's because DanO couldn't hear you and should probably take off his iPod on the trail.

Oh, but he keeps the volume low.

DanO will learn when he careens around a corner only to find a 6'3" 250# former linebacker riding with his girlsfriend on a 50 pound steel frame beast. Or better yet, someone rides up behind him, yells boo, and DanO goes careening off the side of Dakota Ridge.

Christ folks! I frigging live music half my life, but I know where it doesn't belong. I've seen plenty of accidents (mostly on the road) caused by blairing in-ear acoustics.

The Dog.
    Wow...you must really love your music WKD-RDR. I wonder who's the real child here...the one who doesn't want to give up his toy or the one who respects other trail users by doing so.

friend of Apex
    Since DanO is my boy and not a mtbr blogger, I feel compelled to tell his side.
    Most folks will not have a chance of passing DanO on the downhill, and the uphill is straight doubletrack. Dakota ridge does not have any big blind corners.
    The trail is surrounded by freeway, and there is a dirt bike track and a shooting range below . The wind was also quite loud.
    If there was ever a time and place to wear headphones, this was it. I was proudly jammin my tunes that day, too. (I dont everyday) AC/DC was a great alternative to the sound of cars/semis/motobikes, and it helped drown out the wind.
    So before you dorks start flamin away about what somebody else was doing somewhere where you weren't....take a look at whats goin on.

skillz to pay billz
    ear buds are the new apex shuttle

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    To each his own- I like the sound of crunching dirt, chirping birds, the paws of mtn Lions, and the footsteps of crazed mountain people if possible

I'll hit Dakota Ridge soon. I am dreading the first ride anywhere though

Jackass
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOby
    ear buds are the new apex shuttle

Do we get to Clothesline people with iPods now?
    I'm making enemies faster than I can kill them!

Inflexable...
    That would make a great avatar...
    Tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic...

mtbr member
    May 2006

This train has been derailed by an evil little ipod.

Btw, nice pics and thanks for the trail update. I havent been on DR in a while. I need to charge up my ipod for that ride.
    Attached Images Attached Images

friend of Apex
    Quote Originally Posted by Three Phase
    This train has been derailed by an evil little ipod.

Btw, nice pics and thanks for the trail update. I havent been on DR in a while. I need to charge up my ipod for that ride.
    Hey thanks 3P
    Thats all I wanted to do was give trail update on one of my faves....not get in a flame war with the trail Nazis about what I can and cant do, sheesh. The trolls are lurking, I shoulda known.
    MW side is still a mess in spots, especially in the little canyons, but the Ridge is muy bien, senior

The Dog.
    I'd hardly call my comment trolling. If you and DanO want to wear iPods, that's totally your right. Heck, if you guys want to wear thongs while riding, that's also your right. I just don't think it is fair to expect anyone else's attention if they can't get yours, though the thongs would probably just get you extra attention...

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    I don't ride with my iPod, but after this thread I now feel compelled to.

icegeek is hot
    Quote Originally Posted by zzsean
    I don't ride with my iPod, but after this thread I now feel compelled to.
    Me too.

FWIW, I used to hold some fairly stong beliefs against wearing iPods on the trail, mostly due to many run-ins with completely oblivious (yet ironically indignant) startled hikers who wear them ... but a very wise person (who also happens to be one of the most considerate riders you'll ever meet) clued me in on the notion of riding with only one ear bud in. If you do that, and keep your volume in check, I promise your hearing and trail attention is more than sufficient to ride responsibly. Try it, you'll see.

I'm liking the whole riding with music thing these days. Thought I'd hate it, but come to find out, I don't at all, and sometimes it's just the compromise I need to get my lazy ass out the house and on a real bike. So if you see riders/runners doing their thing with only one earbud in, preferably on the ear that's to inside of the trail, you might wanna give 'em a little slack because they're prolly much less attention-impaired than you think.

friend of Apex
    I'd hardly call my comment trolling. If you and DanO want to wear iPods, that's totally your right. Heck, if you guys want to wear thongs while riding, that's also your right. I just don't think it is fair to expect anyone else's attention if they can't get yours, though the thongs would probably just get you extra attention...
    You have posted ZERO about DR conditions, which was the thread topic, originally.
    Just writing about what you think other riders should do, and babbling about some fantasy you have about seeing guys ride in thongs.
    I call troll.

friend of Apex

DanOs 0.02

Not to leave the villain out, I sent ol' DanO a link to this thread.
    His response....

[SIZE="4"]'WTF who are these tools???'[/SIZE]

icegeek is hot
    [SIZE=4]'WTF who are these tools???'[/SIZE]

Hilarity.

The Dog.
    You have posted ZERO about DR conditions, which was the thread topic, originally.
    Just writing about what you think other riders should do, and babbling about some fantasy you have about seeing guys ride in thongs.
    I call troll.
    Look, I'm genuinely sorry for leading the thread astray. Didn't mean to troll.

Here's where I had already posted about DR conditions:
    Mathew Winters trail report - 02/28/08

..ouch
    Quote Originally Posted by TVC15
    Me too.

FWIW, I used to hold some fairly stong beliefs against wearing iPods on the trail, mostly due to many run-ins with completely oblivious (yet ironically indignant) startled hikers who wear them ... but a very wise person (who also happens to be one of the most considerate riders you'll ever meet) clued me in on the notion of riding with only one ear bud in. If you do that, and keep your volume in check, I promise your hearing and trail attention is more than sufficient to ride responsibly. Try it, you'll see.
    +1.. I find the one earbud method works nicely when I'm riding alone and want some tunes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Yes, Dakota ridge is fine right now, rode it yesterday, there is mud, but both the ridge and red rocks are totally ridable. green mtn though is bone dry as long as you stay on the main trails. I think i'll be turning my ipod up even louder now. most of you guys couldn't catch me on the downhill to tell me to turn it off anyway.

The Dog.
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtgrl
    most of you guys couldn't catch me on the downhill to tell me to turn it off anyway.
    That's not when I pass people...

mtbr member
    eagerly awaiting trail reports of Dakota after last night's little snow. keep us updated if you go out there.

Ive got tentative Friday afternoon plans to just ride the ridge out and back instead of connecting with M. Winters but dont want to ride in a bunch of mud and screw up the trails.

I imagine it will be pretty nice since its so sandy up there usually anyways. Hopefully the water makes it a little tackier than normal

Goofing off?
    I ride with my portable music device in my camelback everytime:

http://www.8trackheaven.com/Images/emerson8tr.jpg

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast