mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Anyone with a 1upUSA bike rack?

Looking for anyone who has one of these 1upUSA bike racks somewhere near Ft. Collins or just north of Denver.. want to see one in person before deciding if they are worth $300 per bike (and I need to carry 3).. reviews are all good but thats a lot of cash to just blindly order one..

Thanks for any info!!

mtbr member
    I have the original one from many years ago. It's funny to me this has come up because I asked a guy in a jeep at a red light on Sunday where he got his. I could see it was pretty new and improved from my earlier version.

The design is very clever and simple and now they accommodate 29 wheels and even fat bike rigs too. They have improved the cinching mechanism which had a tendency to wear and not hold the wheel tight any longer. Plus you can get them in black ano now. I like the racks, one big plus is the weight, like half of the big name stuff. However, Thule unit that clamps down on the front tire I really think is the best design but it is very heavy unfortunately and expensive too.

So...the 1 up is a cool clever compact design with low weight and many features and made well, it's a bit home made-ish but works and...expensive for what it is. The Thule is worth the comparison for functionality and value.

The 1up used to be sold through U Haul if you can believe that, it still might be but I don't think so.

I hope this helps. I live in Denver if you want to see what I have but it is the older version. I built my own receiver part of the system because I wanted to be able to remove or add the second bike easily. You'd have to see it to know what I'm saying here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Renardo View Post
    Looking for anyone who has one of these 1upUSA bike racks somewhere near Ft. Collins or just north of Denver.. want to see one in person before deciding if they are worth $300 per bike (and I need to carry 3).. reviews are all good but thats a lot of cash to just blindly order one..

Thanks for any info!!
    I'm in Fort Collins. Pm me.

mtbr member
    I've got one, 2 trays, in Thornton. Best bike-related purchase I ever made. The rack is awesome and I like being able to ride with just the single tray when it's just me. Folds up tight against the bumper and allows me to lift my tailgate without interference.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    love mine. way better than a thule for smaller cars for sure. only down side is it looks like a hum around carrier when folded up. super easy, quick, and light!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I've had the 2-bike rack for one year now, I like it so much I was anxious to get it on the van as soon as the snow melted I've had Thule and Yakima roof racks, and recently a swagman hitch rack. The 1up is by far the best.

It loads quick with all formats I have in the family (20", 26", 29", 700c, 650c) (for the 20" and 650c you have to adjust the wheel holders with a wrench; it takes less than a minute anyway, but luckily those bikes don't travel much). For all the combos I've loaded so far there's been no problem with interference (29" and 26", 29" and 700C, 26" and 700c, 29" and 20"). The staggered height helps with eliminating interference.

The wheel-only grab is great, the previous swagman rack held down the top tube, and all my bikes were worn through to the metal at one point on the top tube; once I got a few carbon frames that seems like a bad idea.

The clearance with the 1up is good - I was constantly bottoming out with the swagman hitch rack (Quest van, very low rear clearance), but the design of the 1up is much better, I have yet to hit that rack.

It has 4-positions - vertical, 45deg, normal (for carrying) and lowered (for trunk access). The lowered position is a bit of a pain, it is hard to lift the rack back up when you are done; however the rack loads so quick that I don't bother using that position; I just remove the bikes if I need to get into the back. The vertical is good for minimal additional length. I normally keep the rack in the 45deg position when not in use - it is close enough to the back of the van, and allows the back hatch to open.

Definitely a good purchase, and I'm planning on getting 2 more add-ons so I can carry 4.

Richard.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I am still on the fence but the info helps greatly!

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    Love it, I'm in Boulder if you are down here and want to look at it. Works as good or better than any other rack, IMO.

Lots of detailed info in the Car and Biker forum. Like LOTS and LOTS of info. The one huge thread in there is what convinced me to buy it.