Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 33
  1. #1
    DWF
    DWF is offline
    Non Dual Bliss
    Reputation: DWF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,241

    Anybody ride the entire CT as an out & back?

    After riding the CT from Denver to Durango last summer, I'm thinking of Denver to Durango & return to Denver adventure this summer. Unsupported. Any experience with this out there? Anybody here ridden the CT from Durango to Denver? I'm thinking those first few days from Durango are going to be rugged. I'd be interested in hearing of anybody's experience, words of wisdom, lessons learned, etc. with this.
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

  2. #2
    Perpetually single track
    Reputation: ibmkidIII's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,165
    Quote Originally Posted by DWF
    After riding the CT from Denver to Durango last summer, I'm thinking of Denver to Durango & return to Denver adventure this summer. Unsupported. Any experience with this out there? Anybody here ridden the CT from Durango to Denver? I'm thinking those first few days from Durango are going to be rugged. I'd be interested in hearing of anybody's experience, words of wisdom, lessons learned, etc. with this.
    getting "stuck" on top of a 12,000 foot ridge in a snow/thunder storm because your shuttle vehicle is now in front of you and if you stop moving or turn back you may end up a short blurb in the season's stats...that's my experience...my words of wisdom...don't do what I did....

  3. #3
    holding back the darkness
    Reputation: subliminalshiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,712
    I like you, DWF but you're crazy man, crazy.
    Last year, did your travels take you over Ophir pass and into Ouray? I saw some guys riding that looked outfitted for such a trip.

  4. #4
    hehe ...you said "member"
    Reputation: jake7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,118
    DWF, what resource did you use for the trip?
    I was looking at the CT Map book:

    I'm planning to ride part of the CT ... No, not the whole thing (I'm in agreement with subliminalshiver ... you are a crazy person )

    Jake
    “Me fail english? Thats unpossible.” - Matt Groening

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    439
    Quote Originally Posted by DWF
    After riding the CT from Denver to Durango last summer, I'm thinking of Denver to Durango & return to Denver adventure this summer. Unsupported. Any experience with this out there? Anybody here ridden the CT from Durango to Denver? I'm thinking those first few days from Durango are going to be rugged. I'd be interested in hearing of anybody's experience, words of wisdom, lessons learned, etc. with this.
    Have you tried bikepacking.net? Lots of related info there, and plenty of people on the forums with tons of experience who think no question is crazy.

  6. #6
    zrm
    zrm is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,663
    Quote Originally Posted by DWF
    After riding the CT from Denver to Durango last summer, I'm thinking of Denver to Durango & return to Denver adventure this summer. Unsupported. Any experience with this out there? Anybody here ridden the CT from Durango to Denver? I'm thinking those first few days from Durango are going to be rugged. I'd be interested in hearing of anybody's experience, words of wisdom, lessons learned, etc. with this.

    I don't think you're crazy. In fact, if you have the time I think it's a pretty cool idea. (I want to do it, I want to do it) If you've already done it once, I'd guess you have a pretty good idea of what's ahead of you and the kind of demands on gear that a trip like that has. you can mail stuff ahead of you general delivery to points along the way.

    Do it!

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kosayno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    967
    Good luck on the trip whatever you take. I'm gonna attempt it again this year. Considering doing from Durango back to Denver this time.

  8. #8
    DWF
    DWF is offline
    Non Dual Bliss
    Reputation: DWF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,241
    Denver to Durango seems to be the common way to do it, and it's a great ride. I was more curious about how the trail is to ride in reverse. I think it'd be harder from Durango to Denver.

    I'm doing it. Out & back. 3-weeks.
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

  9. #9
    DWF
    DWF is offline
    Non Dual Bliss
    Reputation: DWF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,241
    Quote Originally Posted by jake7
    DWF, what resource did you use for the trip?
    I was looking at the CT Map book:

    I'm planning to ride part of the CT ... No, not the whole thing (I'm in agreement with subliminalshiver ... you are a crazy person )

    Jake
    We used the CT book and the Databook which was used more often. We didn't use maps, Elroy/Funkmaster bought the GPS waypoints and loaded them up on his super fancy GPS. It's all plotted on Google Earth.

    The books are all here: http://www.coloradotrail.org/store.html
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kosayno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    967
    Quote Originally Posted by DWF
    Denver to Durango seems to be the common way to do it, and it's a great ride. I was more curious about how the trail is to ride in reverse. I think it'd be harder from Durango to Denver.

    I'm doing it. Out & back. 3-weeks.
    When are you doing it? I'm doing it in mid July. Who knows, maybe we'll cross paths.

  11. #11
    DWF
    DWF is offline
    Non Dual Bliss
    Reputation: DWF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,241
    Quote Originally Posted by kosayno
    When are you doing it? I'm doing it in mid July. Who knows, maybe we'll cross paths.
    Same'ish. Right now I'm planning on a 17 July departure.
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

  12. #12
    post-ride specialist
    Reputation: icegeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4,013
    I'd buy you a beer in DGO, but that might be violating the "unsupported" notion...
    Since when did Need have anything to do with this?

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kosayno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    967
    Quote Originally Posted by DWF
    Same'ish. Right now I'm planning on a 17 July departure.
    I'll be leaving either July 11 or 12, or July 18 or 19.

    I'd buy you a beer in DGO, but that might be violating the "unsupported" notion...
    That would fall under "trail magic". No violation will occur.

  14. #14
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,701
    Is that old dude still providing a cooler full of sodas at North Pass? That was pretty cool...

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kosayno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    967
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    Is that old dude still providing a cooler full of sodas at North Pass? That was pretty cool...
    He said he would be there again this year.

  16. #16
    DWF
    DWF is offline
    Non Dual Bliss
    Reputation: DWF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,241
    Quote Originally Posted by kosayno
    He said he would be there again this year.
    Yeah and don't forget the cooler as you come into Leadville!
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

  17. #17
    hehe ...you said "member"
    Reputation: jake7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,118
    Quote Originally Posted by DWF
    We used the CT book and the Databook which was used more often. We didn't use maps, Elroy/Funkmaster bought the GPS waypoints and loaded them up on his super fancy GPS. It's all plotted on Google Earth.

    The books are all here: http://www.coloradotrail.org/store.html
    cool - thanks for the tip on the databook. I was looking at that on the website.

    Have a great trip. Sounds awesome
    “Me fail english? Thats unpossible.” - Matt Groening

  18. #18
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,701
    Quote Originally Posted by kosayno
    He said he would be there again this year.
    Damn... he's been doing that a LOOOONG time. I happily accepted his generosity when I thru-hiked in '96.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kosayno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    967
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    Damn... he's been doing that a LOOOONG time. I happily accepted his generosity when I thru-hiked in '96.
    Are we talking about Mr. Trail Angel?

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: FunkMaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    137
    Quote Originally Posted by kosayno
    Are we talking about Mr. Trail Angel?
    I think his trail name was "apple"

  21. #21
    DWF
    DWF is offline
    Non Dual Bliss
    Reputation: DWF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,241
    Quote Originally Posted by FunkMaster
    I think his trail name was "apple"
    It was and according to the GPS, we went by him at 2,300-mph.
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kosayno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    967
    Quote Originally Posted by DWF
    It was and according to the GPS, we went by him at 2,300-mph.
    We must've the first bikers that came through cuz he thought we were extrememly fast hikers when we first showed up on his infra-red until until he actually met us. You guys musta been haulin ass cuz he only clocked us at 2,200 mph only. Those sodas he had were the best ever.

  23. #23
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,701
    Quote Originally Posted by kosayno
    Are we talking about Mr. Trail Angel?
    I dunno. All I know was there was a cooler and it had icy-cold pop. Best pop EVER.

  24. #24
    "Oldfart from Wayback"
    Reputation: onbelaydave's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,680

    It could be "Burntfoot"

    A good friend of mine in Gunny plays "Trail Angel" all the time down that way leaving coolers of pop out for hikers.

  25. #25
    DWF
    DWF is offline
    Non Dual Bliss
    Reputation: DWF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,241
    I talked to hikers heading out on the CT on Saturday for Durango. Seems awfully early to be starting out and I hope they don't get caught in the heavy spring snow.
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •