Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Anybody interested in an informal local "veloswap"?

I've got a ton of bike parts I'd like to sell but doing them one at a time on mtbr/craigslist/ebay would be a daunting task. I'm not spamming here, just asking if others in my position would want to set up somewhere informally to display our stuff so as to maybe concentrate the buying public into one little event. With beer.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    I'd be down. I live in Breck, but I'm in the front range quite a bit.
    Catalina wine Mixer!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Great idea, I have a few extra parts and know of some people that would be interested as well.

mtbr member
    I would go to buy!

i have chain issues
    I would as well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    My supply is almost a one-man veloswap. Forks, cranks, derailleurs, frames, wheelsets...it's crazy I've accumulated all of this. I've stopped building up bikes every year.

Anybody actually had experience in something like this? Problems I see are: a bunch of stuff out in the open, attention being distracted, stuff walking off (maybe). Cash flowing left and right along with the beer. State sales tax, legally and technically speaking, needing to be collected? The proper venue...I guess it's almost like a glorified garage sale. Who has an 8-car garage we can use as a command post?
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Printing out a list of stuff each person has to sell

I know this is nearing spam level but it'd be great if everyone knew what was gonna be there for sale.

Diggity Dog
    I've just had garage sales in the past, posted it on Craigs and it worked out very well. I had a lot of traffic. Doesn't need to be huge to work.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I'll be there to buy up the goods

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I think it's a great idea. One place to hold it might be a place like the Waterton Canyon parking lot. It's a huge lot, and the park gets a lot of action on the weekends. Granted, it's a mix of mountain bikers, families going up to the dam and back, runners and fishermen. I'm not sure about the legalities and what not; but during the summer a guy with a mobile bike shop sets up for business most weekends. It might be a way not only to sell/buy to folks on this site, but also sell off your kids old bikes, kid trailers and stuff to anybody that walks by. I'm sure beer is allowed in the park area.

mtbr member

I'm in.

I'm just a simple lurker, but even i couldn't even pass up on commenting about an informal veloswap? Seems to me like all the local shops and internet retailers swapped regular affordable parts/bikes with gold plated ones... got lots of stuff to sell and plenty of stuff i could use... where and when?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Waterton Canyon parking lot is a great idea. It's free and tons of riders.
    Set a date and I'll clean out my garage.

Stand back
    Now you mention this - I worked my butt off the last 5 months selling off my extra parts...
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I'm interested. Looking for parts for a new 29er and maybe a kid's bike.

mtbr member
    I'd be down to buy!

This is how it started...
    Great idea. I'm would be in for buying and selling.

Beer, yes with beer.
    Life is about the ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I will have so many mid to high end parts for sale within the next month...so I'm definitely in for getting some stuff sold locally.

My only suggestion is to not get too antsy with this. If you want it to be a success, at least put it 1 to 2 months out. This will give the sellers time to get their stuff ready (including me!), and buyers to plan accordingly (multiple ATM stops).

As for posting what we'll have early...I disagree. You'll start getting people PMing early and trying to make a deal before the swap. It's all about getting there early!

Your bike is incorrigible
    While I'm totally down with the idea, it might not be a wise move to just show up at the Waterton parking lot and start selling stuff out of the back of a car. Might get the rangers interested. I'm thinking maybe the overflow/commuter parking lot below Marshal Mesa.

mtbr member

fwiw

i'm toying w/ the idea of promoting another MTB movie night ('kranked 7' in summer '08), and had thought about including something like this...

regardless, i'd agree that you'd want this on the up & up and not held somewhere renegade-style (like waterton lot). that said, venue is the hard part.

$.02
    -
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gotdirt
    i'm toying w/ the idea of promoting another MTB movie night ('kranked 7' in summer '08), and had thought about including something like this...

regardless, i'd agree that you'd want this on the up & up and not held somewhere renegade-style (like waterton lot). that said, venue is the hard part.

$.02
    Exactly. This might turn out to be a big event with many sellers/buyers. Is there some venue that we could rent (cheap!) that would work? Of course, the more official this gets the more "event insurance" looms larger.

Also, enough advertising that there would be enough buyers to go around. You know, wall-to-wall like at the real Veloswap.

Or, if this starts morphing into some big event and that just turns out to be too much of a legal hassle, how still to hook up all the buyers and sellers in this area.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Talk to Salvagetti's. They might be interested in putting on such an event.

Wilderness exchange down the street does a gear swap on May 22 and is exactly what you guys are talking about but with climbing/skiing gear. It's a free gear swap where Wilderness Exchange makes no money off sales outside in the parking lot but it definitely still boosts business in the store. I don't see why a bike shop wouldn't do the same thing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Here is an idea for someone who is a dreamer. Or someone unemployed....

Set up a movie night at Red Rocks. They have movies there in summer, maybe you can piggyback on their org. Get them to schedule a good MTB movie, and have the NW parking lot open for swapping before the movie begins.

Maybe pull in the roadies by having a double feature with an MTB movie and a road documentary. There are a few good ones around..American Flyers...or Breaking Away.

How about a Race Across The Sky/Breaking Away Double Feature?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

slow
    This was done last year in October in Fort Collins, the weekend before veloswap. It was a great time to hang with locals and pick up some great deals. It was put on by www.YourGroupRide.com upstairs at the Rio Grande restaurant and included food and a bar. More info here: http://www.yourgroupride.com/forum/topic?id=211

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast