Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Anybody interested in an informal local "veloswap"?

I've got a ton of bike parts I'd like to sell but doing them one at a time on mtbr/craigslist/ebay would be a daunting task. I'm not spamming here, just asking if others in my position would want to set up somewhere informally to display our stuff so as to maybe concentrate the buying public into one little event. With beer.
    So it seems to me to be, this thing that I think I see.

mtbr member
    I'd be down. I live in Breck, but I'm in the front range quite a bit.
    Catalina wine Mixer!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Great idea, I have a few extra parts and know of some people that would be interested as well.

mtbr member
    I would go to buy!

i have chain issues
    I would as well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    My supply is almost a one-man veloswap. Forks, cranks, derailleurs, frames, wheelsets...it's crazy I've accumulated all of this. I've stopped building up bikes every year.

Anybody actually had experience in something like this? Problems I see are: a bunch of stuff out in the open, attention being distracted, stuff walking off (maybe). Cash flowing left and right along with the beer. State sales tax, legally and technically speaking, needing to be collected? The proper venue...I guess it's almost like a glorified garage sale. Who has an 8-car garage we can use as a command post?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Printing out a list of stuff each person has to sell

I know this is nearing spam level but it'd be great if everyone knew what was gonna be there for sale.

Diggity Dog
    I've just had garage sales in the past, posted it on Craigs and it worked out very well. I had a lot of traffic. Doesn't need to be huge to work.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I'll be there to buy up the goods

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I think it's a great idea. One place to hold it might be a place like the Waterton Canyon parking lot. It's a huge lot, and the park gets a lot of action on the weekends. Granted, it's a mix of mountain bikers, families going up to the dam and back, runners and fishermen. I'm not sure about the legalities and what not; but during the summer a guy with a mobile bike shop sets up for business most weekends. It might be a way not only to sell/buy to folks on this site, but also sell off your kids old bikes, kid trailers and stuff to anybody that walks by. I'm sure beer is allowed in the park area.

mtbr member

I'm in.

I'm just a simple lurker, but even i couldn't even pass up on commenting about an informal veloswap? Seems to me like all the local shops and internet retailers swapped regular affordable parts/bikes with gold plated ones... got lots of stuff to sell and plenty of stuff i could use... where and when?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Waterton Canyon parking lot is a great idea. It's free and tons of riders.
    Set a date and I'll clean out my garage.

Stand back
    Now you mention this - I worked my butt off the last 5 months selling off my extra parts...
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I'm interested. Looking for parts for a new 29er and maybe a kid's bike.

mtbr member
    I'd be down to buy!

This is how it started...
    Great idea. I'm would be in for buying and selling.

Beer, yes with beer.
    Life is about the ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I will have so many mid to high end parts for sale within the next month...so I'm definitely in for getting some stuff sold locally.

My only suggestion is to not get too antsy with this. If you want it to be a success, at least put it 1 to 2 months out. This will give the sellers time to get their stuff ready (including me!), and buyers to plan accordingly (multiple ATM stops).

As for posting what we'll have early...I disagree. You'll start getting people PMing early and trying to make a deal before the swap. It's all about getting there early!

Your bike is incorrigible
    While I'm totally down with the idea, it might not be a wise move to just show up at the Waterton parking lot and start selling stuff out of the back of a car. Might get the rangers interested. I'm thinking maybe the overflow/commuter parking lot below Marshal Mesa.

mtbr member

fwiw

i'm toying w/ the idea of promoting another MTB movie night ('kranked 7' in summer '08), and had thought about including something like this...

regardless, i'd agree that you'd want this on the up & up and not held somewhere renegade-style (like waterton lot). that said, venue is the hard part.

$.02
    -
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gotdirt
    i'm toying w/ the idea of promoting another MTB movie night ('kranked 7' in summer '08), and had thought about including something like this...

regardless, i'd agree that you'd want this on the up & up and not held somewhere renegade-style (like waterton lot). that said, venue is the hard part.

$.02
    Exactly. This might turn out to be a big event with many sellers/buyers. Is there some venue that we could rent (cheap!) that would work? Of course, the more official this gets the more "event insurance" looms larger.

Also, enough advertising that there would be enough buyers to go around. You know, wall-to-wall like at the real Veloswap.

Or, if this starts morphing into some big event and that just turns out to be too much of a legal hassle, how still to hook up all the buyers and sellers in this area.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Talk to Salvagetti's. They might be interested in putting on such an event.

Wilderness exchange down the street does a gear swap on May 22 and is exactly what you guys are talking about but with climbing/skiing gear. It's a free gear swap where Wilderness Exchange makes no money off sales outside in the parking lot but it definitely still boosts business in the store. I don't see why a bike shop wouldn't do the same thing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Here is an idea for someone who is a dreamer. Or someone unemployed....

Set up a movie night at Red Rocks. They have movies there in summer, maybe you can piggyback on their org. Get them to schedule a good MTB movie, and have the NW parking lot open for swapping before the movie begins.

Maybe pull in the roadies by having a double feature with an MTB movie and a road documentary. There are a few good ones around..American Flyers...or Breaking Away.

How about a Race Across The Sky/Breaking Away Double Feature?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

slow
    This was done last year in October in Fort Collins, the weekend before veloswap. It was a great time to hang with locals and pick up some great deals. It was put on by www.YourGroupRide.com upstairs at the Rio Grande restaurant and included food and a bar. More info here: http://www.yourgroupride.com/forum/topic?id=211

holding back the darkness
    I'm in. Sounds cool.
    Let's not get too carried away. Don't "morph" this into a major event like veloswap, because then it will develop all the sucky problems of velowap.
    We can pretty much set up shop anywhere, all that would be needed is a parking lot and the right of public assembly.... What we don't have is the right to public intoxication, so the beer might be the issue. Someone's garage is probably the best bet for anything "informal", or a small town hall or community center. Dammit, back in Wisco I could rent the town hall for $30 and get a 1/2 barrel for $40.

Thread Terrorist
    I can check with Pedal Pushers here in Golden. They've got a nice sized lot we could bring our stuff to display. Let me know.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Sounds like everyone is for this and have good ideas. I know I started this thread but I guarantee you others here are more connected with shops and such than me. Beer out in a parking lot could be problematic, a sale connected with an establishment selling food and beer (who have their own rules about drinks in their parking lot) sounds good. Doing this in a parking lot that is dedicated to that shop/restaurant is key, not to be stepping on other establishments parking toes, as it were.

Whoever might aid this thing (a shop, a restaurant) would have to know we'd be giving back to them in more ways than exposure, like a percentage of the sales. They might refuse but ethically I'd think it'd be the right thing to do.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Can we have it up on 28?
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

ARC Driver
    I would be there to buy and sell. Any proposed dates yet?

Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    Whoever might aid this thing (a shop, a restaurant) would have to know we'd be giving back to them in more ways than exposure, like a percentage of the sales. They might refuse but ethically I'd think it'd be the right thing to do.
    I disagree. I won't be giving a tithe to a shop/establishment. I see no ethical ramifications in that.
    Again, thought you wanted to keep it informal? The giveback would be in the opportunity for said establishment to build a relationship with new customers and foster a community spirit among them, all of which is good for business in the long run. The opportunity to get potential customers in their parking lots, maybe come in to use the bathroom, check out the store, maybe they see something they like... maybe it's just an opportunity to show new customers the shop and some good friendly employees who like to talk about bikes.
    Everybody wins in that situation. No tithing necessary. If said shop is not interested, no problem.
    Come to think of it.. the Lions park in Golden is reservable, there's a pavilion and you can bring a keg (permit needed). I had my wedding rehearsal dinner there. I think it cost us about $120 for the whole shingdig. But now we're talking complexity again. Someone would have to do that reserving. And now there might be a entry fee involved. I dunno. I put in a call to Larry Rock with the City of Golden and left a VM. I'll see what he has to say.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by chongo
    I just sent an email to a guy at frankenbike with questions and also a linky to this thread.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by subliminalshiver
    I disagree. I won't be giving a tithe to a shop/establishment. I see no ethical ramifications in that.
    Again, thought you wanted to keep it informal? The giveback would be in the opportunity for said establishment to build a relationship with new customers and foster a community spirit among them, all of which is good for business in the long run. The opportunity to get potential customers in their parking lots, maybe come in to use the bathroom, check out the store, maybe they see something they like... maybe it's just an opportunity to show new customers the shop and some good friendly employees who like to talk about bikes.
    Everybody wins in that situation. No tithing necessary. If said shop is not interested, no problem.
    Come to think of it.. the Lions park in Golden is reservable, there's a pavilion and you can bring a keg (permit needed). I had my wedding rehearsal dinner there. I think it cost us about $120 for the whole shingdig. But now we're talking complexity again. Someone would have to do that reserving. And now there might be a entry fee involved. I dunno. I put in a call to Larry Rock with the City of Golden and left a VM. I'll see what he has to say.
    Yeah, well, that's a $120 "tithe" to the city of Golden. What's the difference?

Your bike is incorrigible
    Are there going to be "events", like raffles or roller races? As long as it's going down, might as well make it BIG!

Yeah, well, that's a $120 "tithe" to the city of Golden. What's the difference?
    Well... you're right... money is money. But a user fee is different from a "cut", and a fixed fee is likely to be a significantly smaller chunk of the proceeds than if even just the people in this thread show up and exchange money.
    No worries though. I'm just throwing out my $.02 and a suggestion or two. Just trying to keep things simple. I dig the shop plan, I'm just saying that we shouldn't need to pay a shop for providing them free publicity and serving up a parkinglot full of customers. It's like walking in there and paying extra for a tube, just because.
    "Sure, that tube is $5, but since you guys are so cool and all, I'll think I'll give you $7. No, really, just take the extra $2.. really.... I mean it".
    The park idea is just an idea, with clear-cuts costs and provides a neutral area in a scenic location with a little bit of parking and a simple on-line reservation process.
    And the possibility of beer.

Quote Originally Posted by Guyechka
    Are there going to be "events", like raffles or roller races? As long as it's going down, might as well make it BIG!
    Sure.. but no clowns. Clowns are creepy.

mtbr member
    When I was working out at the Commerce City refinery I drove by the western stockshow complex a lot. They have a HUGE parking lot! Or, how's about Golden High School parking lot, right across the road from Pedal Pusher and there's the Philly Cheese Steak place to grab a bite, and a coffee shop to get a fix

I say renegade the thing. But the bad thing is how do we police ourselves and not let any stolen crap show up at this pow-wow?
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I just got this email reply from Chris down in Texas. They're hoping to sponsor, if that's the word, Frankenbike swaps all over the US of A. See if this works:

Hey,

Don't worry about insurance. The location you set up at has it's own insurance (a bike shop, bar, etc..) We bring business to each location we set up at... we have never paid a location, we never will, still, they make money from our events. Frankenbike sellers take cash from buyers. Some larger sellers take credit cards, but not very much is bought that is not bought with cash. We like to rotate from a cool bar or food place to a LBS. We base our location choices on the heat (if it's the middle of summer, we make sure to hold the event at a location with shade verses a hot black top parking lot)

Q: Do you want to organize monthly Frankenbike swap meets up there? I'll set you up with a user name and password so you can control the posts for your city... Just like Drew in Asheville and Henry in San Antonio and me in Austin.

We'd have to talk on the phone and make sure all questions are answered but it is our goal to have Frankenbike swap meets all over the country. We are about to launch in El Paso, Texas and San Fransisco, CA.

Chris Gross
    FrankenBike.net
    2308 E. Cesar Chavez
    Austin, Texas 78702
    512-694-6529

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    This is already getting beyond informal.

Talking about fees, percentage cuts, stolen mechandise, etc.
    My thought...there will be no policing. An honor system is enough to say that nothing is stolen. If you find the person you're dealing with sketchy...don't buy it.

Crap...it's the same thing as a yard sale on the sidewalk. I don't think you need a permit for that. If someone lives on a cul-de-sac somewhere, we could even use that street, and get permission to hold a block party. On a non thru-street, I doubt that'll be a problem.

http://www.bmxcolorado.com/ puts on a BBQ and swap meet every year down in castle rock. Maybe whoever takes hold of this thing can get in touch with their coordinator to see how they went about it. The website has photos and all.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Keeping stolen Bikes, Parts, Gear frm being sold or bought

We take pictures of everyone and all the stuff they are selling and post it to our url after the event. (Note: We just changed urls so all the pictures are doen for about a week but they'll be there soon)

I say renegade the thing. But the bad thing is how do we police ourselves and not let any stolen crap show up at this pow-wow?[/QUOTE]

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankenBike.org
    We take pictures of everyone and all the stuff they are selling and post it to our url after the event. (Note: We just changed urls so all the pictures are doen for about a week but they'll be there soon)
    <= that one's from my left big toe

But by that idea, can't we, the CO/FR crew, just take a crap-ton of pics and post them up here on a stickied thread to keep everyone on the up and up and not have to pay a fee? Just about everyone has a cell camera these days...

I'm w/ gearwhine. This thread has migrated from informal to an "official" event.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

ARC Driver
    The more complex this thing gets, the less likely it is to happen. We just need a space to set our parts at for a few hours.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y
    <= that one's from my left big toe

But by that idea, can't we, the CO/FR crew, just take a crap-ton of pics and post them up here on a stickied thread to keep everyone on the up and up and not have to pay a fee? Just about everyone has a cell camera these days...

I'm w/ gearwhine. This thread has migrated from informal to an "official" event.
    100% you can do that. NOTE: None of the other frankenbike organizers pay any fees. I just add their city to our url, give them a user name and password and walk them through the steps on how to control their cities content. We don't sell ad space, never will, and each city organizer has total autonomy. No fees, no cookies, no BS at all. Just pick your location, post it, post your pics of the past event, post the new location,.... keep it simple.

Thread Terrorist
    How about...

Golden (Central)
    Pedal Pushers has a huge lot we can mark off
    ???
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by IndecentExposure
    How about...

Golden (Central)
    Pedal Pushers has a huge lot we can mark off
    ???
    Sounds great. Can you talk to Pedal Pushers to see what they think of the idea? Is their lot shared by other businesses that need to be alerted?

mtbr member
    Sounds great. Can you talk to Pedal Pushers to see what they think of the idea? Is their lot shared by other businesses that need to be alerted?
    It's also right next to Golden High School...HUGE lot!
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Got Shroomies?
    Hate to Wizz on your parade - just some info to consider - http://www.colorado.gov/oed/industry...IndDetail.html

Goofing off?
    I'm in. I have some parts and would like to buy some as well.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Wow. In 47 posts it's become Veloswap.
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by calzonical
    Hate to Wizz on your parade - just some info to consider - http://www.colorado.gov/oed/industry...IndDetail.html
    All product sales are subject to sales tax. Contact the Department of Revenue regarding sales tax licensing regardless of whether a business sells retail, wholesale, on consignment or at events. See FYI Sales #55, Flea Markets.

I personally am not "a business" so I have no tax liabilities...as in private party sales. I'm not selling a motorized vehicle.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast