mtbr member
    Jan 2004

anybody doing the SR 50 or the Breck 100?

I'm on the fence for 1 of these races. SR 50 is cheaper but part of the course appears to consist of pushing your bike through river rock- type terrain, which does not appeal to me as much. I'd do the Breck 100K option but (gulp) the price is pretty dang steep. Of course that's what I have a job for I guess. Opinions?

SS Chimp
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy
    I'm on the fence for 1 of these races. SR 50 is cheaper but part of the course appears to consist of pushing your bike through river rock- type terrain, which does not appeal to me as much.
    The SR does not contain an unplesent amount of hike-a-bike. If price is the deciding factor I would suggest the SR and even if price is not the issue I would suggest the SR...it is a fantastic race.
    all single...all the time

mtbr member
    Do the SR you won't regret it I promise!!!
    Ride Fast, Take Chances!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I don't mind some hike a bike

I'm actually pretty good at it but I was envisioning an above timberline, slow, agonizing grind on cobbles & babyheads, but people seem to like the race.

mtbr member
    I'm actually pretty good at it but I was envisioning an above timberline, slow, agonizing grind on cobbles & babyheads, but people seem to like the race.
    Instead of envisioning that, you should envision absolute beauty around you, with BRIGHT wildflowers and amazing people cheering you on!!! Every blood, sweat and tear you endure is worth the ride at SR. Oh I don't recall any babyheads up there and I was just there last weekend.

Whatever you decide you never know until you experience it yourself.
    Ride Fast, Take Chances!

mtbr member

Good job!

I'm on the fence for 1 of these races. SR 50 is cheaper but part of the course appears to consist of pushing your bike through river rock- type terrain, which does not appeal to me as much. I'd do the Breck 100K option but (gulp) the price is pretty dang steep. Of course that's what I have a job for I guess. Opinions?
    SR 50 website?
    I have one firm belief about the American political system, God is a Republican and Santa Claus is a Democrat P.J. O'Rourke

pin 'er up
    Quote Originally Posted by sandan
    SR 50 website?
    It is the same as the Leadville 100;
    http://leadvilletrail100.com
    Scroll down to the "Pick your event below" area in the middle.
    Black Sheep...where it'ss at!!
    "I'm not known for my patience. Patience is a polite quality and often appropriate, but it rarely gets things done. Impatience, however, is the hunger for results and intolerance for excuses and delays." LA

mtbr member

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by miSSionary
    It is the same as the Leadville 100;
    http://leadvilletrail100.com
    Scroll down to the "Pick your event below" area in the middle.
    thanks
    I have one firm belief about the American political system, God is a Republican and Santa Claus is a Democrat P.J. O'Rourke

pin 'er up
    No worries!!
    "I'm not known for my patience. Patience is a polite quality and often appropriate, but it rarely gets things done. Impatience, however, is the hunger for results and intolerance for excuses and delays." LA

mtbr member
    May 2006

split the difference, the larmamie enduro is 70 miles and reasonably priced

pin 'er up
    Quote Originally Posted by fsrftc
    split the difference, the larmamie enduro is 70 miles and reasonably priced
    The SR50 is reasonably prised, you get a finisher's medal and a silver cuff AND you get some of the best views around in the highest city in the continental United States!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I'm in the Enduro aleady

just looking for some suffering to tide me over until then.

mtbr member

anf if you're REALLY on a budget

There's a free race in Crested Butte as well:

http://www.active.com/event_detail.c...EE&affiliate=0

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

bad weather advice for race?

I'll have my gore tex rain jacket with me. Should I bring arm warmers? Knee warmers? If the rain comes in that high its pretty cold I assume.

pin 'er up
    I'll have my gore tex rain jacket with me. Should I bring arm warmers? Knee warmers? If the rain comes in that high its pretty cold I assume.
    Yes, the jacket is a GREAT idea!! I always have full rain gear, riding up that high...you have no idea when the weather will change. If you are 6+ hours on that course you will see rain at some point. I over-pack at times but I will have a jacket and arm warmers at the minimum, and yes, rain up there is COLD.
    Cheers,
    miSSionary

Now Uploading

Breck 100

Not sure what everybody decided, but there were 98 racers at the Breck 100 Saturday. The photos are up. Beautiful weather in the mountains for a cross-country marathon race, and sure beat this 100+ degree heat down here in Denver.

Cheers,

Dave
    [SIZE=2]Just Passing Through: eatin' dirt & crappin' dust[/SIZE]