Wish I was riding
    Oct 2004

Any sweet trails near Estes?

Going up to Estes this weekend, and was thinking about bringing the bike. Anyone know if there are any good trails around there? If so, let me know...greatly appreciated. Thanks. peace.

Please God...don't make me have to tell my kids someday that "the most incompetent and dangerous president in living memory" was re-elected in the first election I could vote in.
    http://politicalhumor.about.com/libr...bushresume.htm

Card Carrying Member
    You want ride suggestions or political retort? I'm confused.

Wish I was riding
    Oct 2004
    A little of both would be lovely :-)

Time is not a road.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Addict
    Going up to Estes this weekend, and was thinking about bringing the bike. Anyone know if there are any good trails around there? If so, let me know...greatly appreciated. Thanks. peace.

Please God...don't make me have to tell my kids someday that "the most incompetent and dangerous president in living memory" was re-elected in the first election I could vote in.
    http://politicalhumor.about.com/libr...bushresume.htm
    Define "near". On the way to Estes you'll pass Hall Ranch in Lyons, Lion's Gulch btwn Lyons and Estes or Devil's Backbone, if your'e coming thru Loveland on 34. Some others know of a trail at Crosier Mtn in Drake on the way up 34 also. As far as know, there's nothing in Estes Park proper, but you could ride up Fall River Road in RMNP.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by chad1433
    Define "near". On the way to Estes you'll pass Hall Ranch in Lyons, Lion's Gulch btwn Lyons and Estes or Devil's Backbone, if your'e coming thru Loveland on 34. Some others know of a trail at Crosier Mtn in Drake on the way up 34 also. As far as know, there's nothing in Estes Park proper, but you could ride up Fall River Road in RMNP.
    http://www.trailcentral.com/trails/trails_estes.shtml

Bodhisattva
    Crosier. Maybe 10 miles north of Estes. Killer ride. There are two loops, one big & one small which both start from the same place. The big loop entails a minimum of 2 hrs of climbing, if you're fast, then 45 minutes of very technical DH singletrack which is scary when wet. The short loop entails about an hour or so of climbing & 20 minutes of also excellent, although a bit less technical, singletrack.
    It's best to do the big loop with a buddy.
    Life....the original terminal illness

a mountain biker
    Notice its usualy liberals bashing conservitives other then the other way around. Whens the last time you saw a bumper sticker bashing Kerry?

Time is not a road.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Addict
    A little of both would be lovely :-)
    Mark, it looks like you guys will be doing some maint. at the Backbone instead?

ride
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    Crosier. Maybe 10 miles north of Estes.
    I don't think it's even that. There's 3 trailheads for Crosier, one behind the stables in Glen Haven, one a little bit lower, and one about 6 miles even farther down. To get to the first one will take maybe 7-10 minutes from Lake Estes if you're in a car.

The Glen Haven trailhead is definitely the most climb-able. If you head to Crosier, make sure to go all the way to the top of Crosier Mountain. You'll probably have to hike a couple of spots, but the downhill back to the main junction is sweet. Very steep and rocky.

Lions Gulch is about the same amount of drive time. You'll head out on 36 and climb. Once you hit the top and start to descend, the trailhead is just a few miles down the road on your right. Can't miss it. It starts as an out and back but has some cool loops at the top of the Gulch. Lot's of historic homesites as well. Here's little write up of Lion Gulch. Check it out:

http://www.redstonecyclery.com/Lion%20Gulch.htm

Enjoy your ride, whatever you do.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    There's also the Sourdough trail, but its a bit south of Estes

http://www.mtbr.com/trails/Colorado/SourdoughTrail.html
    "If you suck, that means I'm better. The more you suck, the better I am. So. Let me count the ways you suck." - Scribb

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelninja
    There's also the Sourdough trail, but its a bit south of Estes

http://www.mtbr.com/trails/Colorado/SourdoughTrail.html
    Think Sourdough is white? I was wanting to try it out this weekend, but wasn't sure if it was high enough to be white yet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdub
    Think Sourdough is white? I was wanting to try it out this weekend, but wasn't sure if it was high enough to be white yet.
    It might be. I don't know. I'm currently without a bike.

Aggressive XC - Anything better than the 575?
    "If you suck, that means I'm better. The more you suck, the better I am. So. Let me count the ways you suck." - Scribb

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelninja
    It might be. I don't know. I'm currently without a bike.

Aggressive XC - Anything better than the 575?
    Sorry to hear about the bike man, getting something stolen totally sucks.
    Might try PMing Biff n Bonk from this forum, I rode with him at Devil's Backbone last weekend and he had a Yeti 575. Sweet ride, I've been kind of looking at one of those frames myself.

Biff n Bonk
    http://forums.mtbr.com/member.php?u=251330

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SevenInches
    Notice its usualy liberals bashing conservitives other then the other way around.
    Well, that's because the republicans don't have any dirt on the democrats, and the democrats are only telling the truth.

Card Carrying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SevenInches
    Notice its usualy liberals bashing conservitives other then the other way around. Whens the last time you saw a bumper sticker bashing Kerry?
    Not directed at you alone...

take it here

Card Carrying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr
    If you head to Crosier, make sure to go all the way to the top of Crosier Mountain. You'll probably have to hike a couple of spots, but the downhill back to the main junction is sweet. Very steep and rocky.
    If you don't go to the top, you've wasted a trip there IMO. AMAZING view, perfect grub spot and like ignaz said, steep and rocky on the way down.