mtbr member

Any Riding in Rifle????

Going riding tomorrow probably in Grand Junction but I have heard there are some good trails in Rifle. Anybody done some riding there and where?????

Stand back
    I've done some riding north of I-70 by Rifle - a great flowy trail from what I remember (it's been 6+ years ago). It started right by the campsite we stayed at, near a stream, and was a little ways off the highway (maybe 15 min drive). Sorry I can't be more specific...
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mtbr member
    Was it the THREE FORKS trail? North of Rifle Gap State Park?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wormvine
    Going riding tomorrow probably in Grand Junction but I have heard there are some good trails in Rifle. Anybody done some riding there and where?????
    been out on the NW side of town (parking lot by the FS building, just off the NW bypass road if I remember right) several times, gravel to fire road down to some ST, can make a couple of loops, however these particular trails not same class as most of the GJ stuff
    ---------------
    me have blog

forever lost in the desert, except when in the mountains

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Go North of town, and look for the JQS road. This road heads West again, and will take you to the top of the Roan Plateau. Once up there, trails and roads everywhere - out to the Anvil Points that overlook I-70 and North into the wilderness up there. It, uh, is a climb - 4000' if you hop on your bike in town and go. Worth the views alone to go up there.

Tons of really nice trails off the JQS road down lower, on the South side. The Rifle Fat Tire Classic race is held on those trails (or was), and a lot of motorized/motorcycle trails to play on that follow the tops of the bluffs - tons to explore.

Get on maps.google, scroll up highway 13 (main road North out of Rifle), to the JQS road. Then hit the satellite view - you will see all the dirt roads and trails to the South of JQS, and on top of the plateau.

There is a bike shop in town - in downtown off the main drag - in a downstairs of one of the old buildings. Watch for the sign on your left as you head North in town - those folks can point you around.

jon

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies. Got sorta snowed out this morning, But I will def be looking at some rides their in the months to come.