Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Idea! Any postholers or stove pipers out there?

Can I ask why? You can get yourself into a ski tour package for a relatively cheap price. Snowshoes can be had for even cheaper. Just a thought...
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

Living the High Life
    This knuckle dragger owns a pair of mountaineering snowshoes, they're on my pack in this photo
    Attached Images Attached Images
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

friend of Apex
    but you free-heelers cut such sweet tracks, there's no need
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

Chronic 1st-timer
    Les grimpées, je m'en fou!

Cycling, FTW!!
    Postholes suck. Whenever I come across a trail that has been postholed up I usually cut my day of skiing short so I can go home and whine about it on the mountain biking forum.
    "When you pay $340 to do a 24 hour race you'll only have enough money to eat mustard sandwiches the rest of the year." -TD

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I can't imagine why anyone would want to post hole around in the winter backcountry, I suppose it's one of the few things that can make slowshoing seem like fun.... I guess a lot of people just don't know any different.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkoInTheBoat
    Postholes suck. Whenever I come across a trail that has been postholed up I usually cut my day of skiing short so I can go home and whine about it on the mountain biking forum.
    I like that you took the time to respond.

Quote Originally Posted by zrm
    I can't imagine why anyone would want to post hole around in the winter backcountry, I suppose it's one of the few things that can make slowshoing seem like fun.... I guess a lot of people just don't know any different.
    Exactly.
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

Trips for Kids Denver
    IMO snowshoeing is really fun if you take your gps, walk a trail for several miles. ask your gps to draw a straight line to your vehicle then go off trail as the crow flies back to your vehicle. Going over/through whatever is in the way can be a great adventure. Or go snowshoe backpacking,
    " I'm not inclined to resign to maturity "

Think Circles!
    OK, forgive the guy from San Diego for not knowing this but WTF are we talking about here?

Chronic 1st-timer
    4-legged postholers?
    Les grimpées, je m'en fou!

Your retarded
    I'm not a back country skier, but let's say I am in this case. What's the correct way to get to the top of the mountain? Skins? Snowshoes? No shoes? Enlighten me because I'm not sure I understand the problem or the solution, seeing as how I have never skied outside of ski area boundaries.
    A trail that’s too difficult wouldn’t exist because it’d never be used. But, trails can exist that’re too difficult for you.

Think Circles!
    OK, from what I just learned on the interweb, postholing is hiking through deep snow in boots..instead of using snow shoes or other means of flotation. This would seem to cause a problem to folks who would like to ski or board the area later due to the large holes left behind.

I've also learned that snowshoeing on XC Ski tracks is frowned upon and that you should snowshoe to the side of the trail.

Man I love Google!

Your retarded
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMW
    ... postholing is hiking through deep snow in boots..instead of using snow shoes or other means of flotation...
    This I knew.
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMW
    I've also learned that snowshoeing on XC Ski tracks is frowned upon and that you should snowshoe to the side of the trail.
    This I just learned.

So I assume post holes and snowshoe tracks kill it for those of you using skins?
    A trail that’s too difficult wouldn’t exist because it’d never be used. But, trails can exist that’re too difficult for you.

Living the High Life
    If you post hole up a skin track it will be smoothed out by the next few free heelin' wieners anyway But its more of an etiquette thing. Its also nice when people don't skin up a boot pack, not everyone one on two planks has skins.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

friend of Apex
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickle
    Enlighten me because I'm not sure I understand the problem...
    The problem in this situation is that the OP has some devivce for accessing the BC that makes it easy. He then frowns upon older devices, such as good old fashioned boots, using his newly made track on public land.

Thats OK though. The OP feels the same way about how superior newer 6" FS rigs are to low-tech rigid rides... so it makes perfect sense to me.

mtbr member
    I use snowshoes going up..... Snowboard going down.. It's a blast.... I try to stay out of XC ski tracks as it does screw them up. Some areas you just can't!

Team Inflexible
    Quote Originally Posted by Funrover
    I use snowshoes going up..... Snowboard going down.. It's a blast.... I try to stay out of XC ski tracks as it does screw them up. Some areas you just can't!
    Funrover..... I have been thinking about trying the snowshoe up and board down backcountry thing for awhile. Even toyed with the idea of getting a split board.

Your from the Springs Right? Any suggestions on some cool spots to check out?

It would be sweet to get my snowboard fix without having to drive 2.5 hours.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR
    The problem in this situation is that the OP has some devivce for accessing the BC that makes it easy. He then frowns upon older devices, such as good old fashioned boots, using his newly made track on public land.

Thats OK though. The OP feels the same way about how superior newer 6" FS rigs are to low-tech rigid rides... so it makes perfect sense to me.
    Obviously, since you bring it up here, my opinion on rigid/FS bikes has left you hurt, my apologies.
    If you are into using old fashioned boots to travel through the snow in the BC, enlighten me.
    If you refer back to my original post I neither complained nor b!tched about people using my “newly made track on public land.” I’m fine with it but don’t understand it.
    What I asked was why you would choose this form of getting out when it seems to be a pretty damn inefficient way to travel through deep snow when there are many options out there.
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

friend of Apex
    Oh, Juggy. I ride a rigid and a FS bike, and I enjoy them both a great deal. I was simply pointing out the hypocrisy.

I never said I was into hiking BC in boots, it just happens sometimes. By 1100 a resort is packed and played, and the day is not done... so we go hike, and I didn't bring the Split.

Simply put, no one should expect me to not walk on thier precious (and temporary) little skin track. Its a level of douchebaggery I can't comprehend. Its not like I'm droppin in above you on a 45 degree chute.

Oh well, we're all someones douchebag at one point or another.

simple
    Splitboarder here. My snowshoes are gathering dust and I don't care.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Where’s the hypocrisy?
    OK, played out snow, fine. That would be an example of W(hy)TF you go stove piping, this is what I originally asked. Beautiful example, thank you.
    Again, I didn’t complain or even mention you walking or snowshoeing on ski tracks, that was pure assumption on the readers part (feel free to keep bringing it up though). What I’m referring to is an out and back hike in deep snow with nothing on you GD feet other than boots and nothing to descend on. I guess I should have made this clear to begin with but I didn’t think it needed to be stated (since in my OP I mention touring skis and figured it’d be pretty GD clear I wasn’t referring to climbing in these then making turns on something else).
    Have you ever seen someone out with hiking boots on sinking up to their crotch in 4 feet+ of snow? Considering this image, does it seems like an odd question?
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaydude
    Funrover..... I have been thinking about trying the snowshoe up and board down backcountry thing for awhile. Even toyed with the idea of getting a split board.

Your from the Springs Right? Any suggestions on some cool spots to check out?

It would be sweet to get my snowboard fix without having to drive 2.5 hours.

I just kinda go where ever. Berthoud is fun...but a drive If we actually get snow the area by the Crags is fun. ETC ETC.. whenever there is a slope and snow really. I also do resort boarding... meaning I don't back country much, I am still learning places

Awesomist™
    I used to stovepipe back in college, but all it ever got me was a wicked case of the munchies...
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

Half-Man, Half-Ounce
    May 2008
    Only the colo NATIVEs get to posthole a skin track.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast