mtbr member

Idea! Any postholers or stove pipers out there?

Can I ask why? You can get yourself into a ski tour package for a relatively cheap price. Snowshoes can be had for even cheaper. Just a thought...
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

Living the High Life
    This knuckle dragger owns a pair of mountaineering snowshoes, they're on my pack in this photo
    Attached Images Attached Images
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

mtbr member
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

friend of Apex
    but you free-heelers cut such sweet tracks, there's no need
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

Chronic 1st-timer
    Trailwrecker at large

Cycling, FTW!!
    Postholes suck. Whenever I come across a trail that has been postholed up I usually cut my day of skiing short so I can go home and whine about it on the mountain biking forum.
    "When you pay $340 to do a 24 hour race you'll only have enough money to eat mustard sandwiches the rest of the year." -TD

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I can't imagine why anyone would want to post hole around in the winter backcountry, I suppose it's one of the few things that can make slowshoing seem like fun.... I guess a lot of people just don't know any different.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkoInTheBoat
    Postholes suck. Whenever I come across a trail that has been postholed up I usually cut my day of skiing short so I can go home and whine about it on the mountain biking forum.
    I like that you took the time to respond.

Quote Originally Posted by zrm
    I can't imagine why anyone would want to post hole around in the winter backcountry, I suppose it's one of the few things that can make slowshoing seem like fun.... I guess a lot of people just don't know any different.
    Exactly.
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

@2whlfun
    Aug 2008
    IMO snowshoeing is really fun if you take your gps, walk a trail for several miles. ask your gps to draw a straight line to your vehicle then go off trail as the crow flies back to your vehicle. Going over/through whatever is in the way can be a great adventure. Or go snowshoe backpacking,
    2017 SPOT Brand MAYHEM (incoming) 2016 Spot rollik557, 2016 SPOT Brand Zephyr Adventure Bike 55c, Heller 27.7+

Think Circles!
    OK, forgive the guy from San Diego for not knowing this but WTF are we talking about here?

Chronic 1st-timer
    4-legged postholers?
    Trailwrecker at large

Your retarded
    I'm not a back country skier, but let's say I am in this case. What's the correct way to get to the top of the mountain? Skins? Snowshoes? No shoes? Enlighten me because I'm not sure I understand the problem or the solution, seeing as how I have never skied outside of ski area boundaries.
    A trail that’s too difficult wouldn’t exist because it’d never be used. But, trails can exist that’re too difficult for you.

Think Circles!
    OK, from what I just learned on the interweb, postholing is hiking through deep snow in boots..instead of using snow shoes or other means of flotation. This would seem to cause a problem to folks who would like to ski or board the area later due to the large holes left behind.

I've also learned that snowshoeing on XC Ski tracks is frowned upon and that you should snowshoe to the side of the trail.

Man I love Google!

Your retarded
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMW
    ... postholing is hiking through deep snow in boots..instead of using snow shoes or other means of flotation...
    This I knew.
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMW
    I've also learned that snowshoeing on XC Ski tracks is frowned upon and that you should snowshoe to the side of the trail.
    This I just learned.

So I assume post holes and snowshoe tracks kill it for those of you using skins?
    A trail that’s too difficult wouldn’t exist because it’d never be used. But, trails can exist that’re too difficult for you.

Living the High Life
    If you post hole up a skin track it will be smoothed out by the next few free heelin' wieners anyway But its more of an etiquette thing. Its also nice when people don't skin up a boot pack, not everyone one on two planks has skins.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

friend of Apex
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickle
    Enlighten me because I'm not sure I understand the problem...
    The problem in this situation is that the OP has some devivce for accessing the BC that makes it easy. He then frowns upon older devices, such as good old fashioned boots, using his newly made track on public land.

Thats OK though. The OP feels the same way about how superior newer 6" FS rigs are to low-tech rigid rides... so it makes perfect sense to me.

mtbr member
    I use snowshoes going up..... Snowboard going down.. It's a blast.... I try to stay out of XC ski tracks as it does screw them up. Some areas you just can't!

Team Inflexible
    Quote Originally Posted by Funrover
    I use snowshoes going up..... Snowboard going down.. It's a blast.... I try to stay out of XC ski tracks as it does screw them up. Some areas you just can't!
    Funrover..... I have been thinking about trying the snowshoe up and board down backcountry thing for awhile. Even toyed with the idea of getting a split board.

Your from the Springs Right? Any suggestions on some cool spots to check out?

It would be sweet to get my snowboard fix without having to drive 2.5 hours.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR
    The problem in this situation is that the OP has some devivce for accessing the BC that makes it easy. He then frowns upon older devices, such as good old fashioned boots, using his newly made track on public land.

Thats OK though. The OP feels the same way about how superior newer 6" FS rigs are to low-tech rigid rides... so it makes perfect sense to me.
    Obviously, since you bring it up here, my opinion on rigid/FS bikes has left you hurt, my apologies.
    If you are into using old fashioned boots to travel through the snow in the BC, enlighten me.
    If you refer back to my original post I neither complained nor b!tched about people using my “newly made track on public land.” I’m fine with it but don’t understand it.
    What I asked was why you would choose this form of getting out when it seems to be a pretty damn inefficient way to travel through deep snow when there are many options out there.
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

friend of Apex
    Oh, Juggy. I ride a rigid and a FS bike, and I enjoy them both a great deal. I was simply pointing out the hypocrisy.

I never said I was into hiking BC in boots, it just happens sometimes. By 1100 a resort is packed and played, and the day is not done... so we go hike, and I didn't bring the Split.

Simply put, no one should expect me to not walk on thier precious (and temporary) little skin track. Its a level of douchebaggery I can't comprehend. Its not like I'm droppin in above you on a 45 degree chute.

Oh well, we're all someones douchebag at one point or another.

simple
    Splitboarder here. My snowshoes are gathering dust and I don't care.

mtbr member
    Where’s the hypocrisy?
    OK, played out snow, fine. That would be an example of W(hy)TF you go stove piping, this is what I originally asked. Beautiful example, thank you.
    Again, I didn’t complain or even mention you walking or snowshoeing on ski tracks, that was pure assumption on the readers part (feel free to keep bringing it up though). What I’m referring to is an out and back hike in deep snow with nothing on you GD feet other than boots and nothing to descend on. I guess I should have made this clear to begin with but I didn’t think it needed to be stated (since in my OP I mention touring skis and figured it’d be pretty GD clear I wasn’t referring to climbing in these then making turns on something else).
    Have you ever seen someone out with hiking boots on sinking up to their crotch in 4 feet+ of snow? Considering this image, does it seems like an odd question?
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaydude
    Funrover..... I have been thinking about trying the snowshoe up and board down backcountry thing for awhile. Even toyed with the idea of getting a split board.

Your from the Springs Right? Any suggestions on some cool spots to check out?

It would be sweet to get my snowboard fix without having to drive 2.5 hours.

I just kinda go where ever. Berthoud is fun...but a drive If we actually get snow the area by the Crags is fun. ETC ETC.. whenever there is a slope and snow really. I also do resort boarding... meaning I don't back country much, I am still learning places

Awesomist™
    I used to stovepipe back in college, but all it ever got me was a wicked case of the munchies...
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

Half-Man, Half-Ounce
    May 2008
    Only the colo NATIVEs get to posthole a skin track.

friend of Apex
    Quote Originally Posted by jugdish
    Where’s the hypocrisy?
    If someone wants to make it harder on themselves (no skins, or no susp), so be it. Why do you care?

Have you ever seen someone out with hiking boots on sinking up to their crotch in 4 feet+ of snow?
    Yes.
    Considering this image, does it seems like an odd question?
    Yes it does, even stranger to create a thread about it....
    which led to my apparent confusion of WTF you were talkin about, my apologies

Again, I didn’t complain or even mention you walking or snowshoeing on ski tracks,
    Sweet. Carry on.

friend of Apex
    Quote Originally Posted by tehBondo
    Only the colo NATIVEs get to posthole a skin track.
    I'm really open to everyone gettin in the action

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR
    If someone wants to make it harder on themselves (no skins, or no susp), so be it. Why do you care?

Well, I guess you got me there. Although I don't think it's the same thing I can see where you're coming from.
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Postholing through really deep snow is one HELL of a workout.

Awesomist™
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    Postholing through really deep snow is HELL.
    Fixed that for ya.

Punch it, Chewie.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Full Trucker
    Fixed that for ya.
    You apparently approached the task with the wrong frame of mind.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickle
    I'm not a back country skier, but let's say I am in this case. What's the correct way to get to the top of the mountain? Skins? Snowshoes? No shoes? Enlighten me because I'm not sure I understand the problem or the solution, seeing as how I have never skied outside of ski area boundariesThis I knew.

This I just learned.

So I assume post holes and snowshoe tracks kill it for those of you using skins?
    I don't know if correct is an applicable term, so much as efficient. Skis are by far the most efficient way to get around in the winter backcountry. From a stand point of enjoying yourself and getting a good workout, slowshoing or even postholing could be and are to some people, fun (I suppose some people think hitting themselves on the head with a hammer is fun also, but that's a topic for a different thread).

Postholing a skin track does make a mess of the skin track or XC ski trail for everyone who comes later on skis. Think of a horse chewing up a trail on a muddy day. Yes, with enough bike use afterwards it will eventually smooth out, but before that happens, it doesn't make much of a difference for those who come afterwards. Like a horse chewed up single track, you can ride it, but few would argue that the trail isn't all f**ked up. It's the same with a skin trail. Most would consider it quite rude and inconsiderate.

The caveat is if a trail gets a lot of use, like dozens of uses a day, it gets so packed out and wide that it no longer matters as much although boot packers and to a lesser extent slowshoers, will and do, often leave big holes which can be a nuisance and a danger to skiers coming down the trail. Many of the place I ski have a well packed out main access trail that one might be able to walk on with minimum breaking through, then you branch out to lesser used skin tracks that slowshoers or boot packers will make a mess of if they use them.

Fortunately, people postholing in just boots in the true backcountry, as opposed to boot packs out of ski areas or roadside (sidecountry or some call it slackcountry), is very very rare; it doesn't take long for someone sinking up to their knees or crotch to realize that it isn't much fun, is exhausting and painfully slow . Usually people who do this are snowboarders unfamiliar with the backcountry and learn that they need either snowshoes or skis. A large percentage of snowboarders who are serious about the BC go to splitboards.

Boot packs in the side country are a different story, they are usually short and used by many. Boot packs make very poor ski routes and although I don't go to too many places where boot packing is the norm, I would imagine that very few skiers skin boot packs since the holes reduce the grip and thus climbing power of skins.

trail waggler

I REALLY hate...

Those little yellow postholes, must be left by chinamen with real skinny legs...
    MY dog can lick YOUR dog!

mtbr member
    I don't know if correct is an applicable term, so much as efficient. Skis are by far the most efficient way to get around in the winter backcountry. From a stand point of enjoying yourself and getting a good workout, slowshoing or even postholing could be and are to some people, fun (I suppose some people think hitting themselves on the head with a hammer is fun also, but that's a topic for a different thread).

Postholing a skin track does make a mess of the skin track or XC ski trail for everyone who comes later on skis. Think of a horse chewing up a trail on a muddy day. Yes, with enough bike use afterwards it will eventually smooth out, but before that happens, it doesn't make much of a difference for those who come afterwards. Like a horse chewed up single track, you can ride it, but few would argue that the trail isn't all f**ked up. It's the same with a skin trail. Most would consider it quite rude and inconsiderate.

The caveat is if a trail gets a lot of use, like dozens of uses a day, it gets so packed out and wide that it no longer matters as much although boot packers and to a lesser extent slowshoers, will and do, often leave big holes which can be a nuisance and a danger to skiers coming down the trail. Many of the place I ski have a well packed out main access trail that one might be able to walk on with minimum breaking through, then you branch out to lesser used skin tracks that slowshoers or boot packers will make a mess of if they use them.

Fortunately, people postholing in just boots in the true backcountry, as opposed to boot packs out of ski areas or roadside (sidecountry or some call it slackcountry), is very very rare; it doesn't take long for someone sinking up to their knees or crotch to realize that it isn't much fun, is exhausting and painfully slow . Usually people who do this are snowboarders unfamiliar with the backcountry and learn that they need either snowshoes or skis. A large percentage of snowboarders who are serious about the BC go to splitboards.

Boot packs in the side country are a different story, they are usually short and used by many. Boot packs make very poor ski routes and although I don't go to too many places where boot packing is the norm, I would imagine that very few skiers skin boot packs since the holes reduce the grip and thus climbing power of skins.
    Thank you for taking the time to articulate that!
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

Old, stale, negative
    Skinning is my favorite part and I don't give a crap how much you suffer on the way up. Post hole away. I'll step over and have a great day regardless.

"Oldfart from Wayback"
    Yes, when it's too steep for any other means to climb uphill.

Cycling, FTW!!

Yeah!! Posthole stoke

I always get a laugh when snowboarders follow my splitboard tracks into the sidecountry and end up having to follow my skin track out.

However, I'm not laughing too much when I'm the one doing the walking.

Damn Elk

Damn Dogs

Damn Climbers

*Note to self- Don't "follow" Sandy around the slackcountry.

Will the drama ever stop?
    "When you pay $340 to do a 24 hour race you'll only have enough money to eat mustard sandwiches the rest of the year." -TD

Awesomist™
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    You apparently approached the task with the wrong frame of mind.
    Meh it's okay, the only time I have postholed this season was OUT of a gully I wound up in by bombing down a sweet tree run at Grand Targhee...

Punch it, Chewie.

Living the High Life
    What's the term for when you get stuck and are chest deep and still can't touch the ground? I crawled out with my lower legs spread out and keeping weight spread across my board using my hands. Took me 10 minutes to crawl 50 feet. Of course that wasn't on a boot pack, but I am wondering if there is a term out there for it.

Much bigger than a post hole, maybe grenade hole?

Stiff yet compliant
    was why you would choose this form of getting out when it seems to be a pretty damn inefficient way to travel through deep snow when there are many options out there.
    It doesn't require any special skill.
    It doesn't require any special equipment.

As far as efficiency goes. The most efficient thing would be to sit on the couch and watch TV. Can you imagine some people venture out into the woods not because they are trying to get somewhere, but because they just want to be out in the woods?

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithnu
    What's the term for when you get stuck and are chest deep and still can't touch the ground? I crawled out with my lower legs spread out and keeping weight spread across my board using my hands. Took me 10 minutes to crawl 50 feet. Of course that wasn't on a boot pack, but I am wondering if there is a term out there for it.

Much bigger than a post hole, maybe grenade hole?
    A typical day of BC snowboarding?

Living the High Life
    A typical day of BC snowboarding?
    Actually I was in bounds at Jackson Hole over Christmas. They got 110" in 10 days. Best week snowboarding of my life. I just got stuck in a little ditch, anything less than waist deep and I would have been fine. A small price to pay.

On one slope I had to point it with no turns because I was damn near chest deep, the tip of my board was still a foot or two under the snow. I've never had that happen anywhere, I didn't even think a person could ride through snow that deep

Found the blog link...http://www.jacksonholewy.com/communi...e-century.aspx

From the blog "thigh-deep powder on groomed runs"

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    *Note to self- Don't "follow" Sandy around the slackcountry.

Will the drama ever stop?

OMFG...........................that is pure GOLD.

thanks for that.

it is so refreshing to see that douchbaggery is alive and well in the world, not just on MTBR.
    getting butt hurt over rude and disrespectful behavior
    rhetorical question: is it really wrong to want to see somebody perpertrate a hate crime??
    EricN
    The flood of fixed gear bikes, small t-shirts, and womens jeans will saturate craigslist