Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Any one also a roadie in here?

Well i am not. and i have a few words for you all. What is your problem!?!?! what gives you guys the right to ride 5 people wide on the road. Yeah so I was driving from loveland to boulder the other day (yes i know its boulder but it was ON THE WAY) not on the highway but the back way for those of you who know it and there was some stupid roadie race going on. the very very few who rode single file i greatly respected. but 99% of the time they were at least two or three wide. not only is it painfully annoying, but its illegal. and then to have the nerve to give me some dirty look when im going around (sometimes honking, granted) or even send a cute little bird my way. i even almost ran over some idiot in the other lane (riding double wide of course) going around a lone rider in my lane. That dingle-berry wouldn't have gotten almost nailed by a three-ton tahoe if he would have simply ridden single file. ok now im done
    poli=many. tics=bloodsucking creatures. so what does that make politicians?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb_crzd47
    ...but 99% of the time they were at least two or three wide...
    Prone to exaggeration are we?

skillz to pay billz
    And I thought I had too much coffee this morning...

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    i even almost ran over some idiot in the other lane (riding double wide of course) going around a lone rider in my lane. That dingle-berry wouldn't have gotten almost nailed by a three-ton tahoe if he would have simply ridden single file. ok now im done
    Why were you passing anybody with oncoming traffic in the other lane? Last I checked that is just as illegal and even more stupid!

Slopestyle Rider
    Roadies annoy the hell out of me too but I try to keep it to myself (although it's hard) on the forums.

Next time a roadie flips you off for honking at them for doing something wrong. Do what I do... Pull your car over, get out and wait for them. I've never had one stop and wanna "discuss" the situation. Running them over or buzzing too close to one won't make them change their attitude but a possible ass-kicking may.

The advice I just gave you was horrible advice, and don't follow it as I do stupid stuff sometimes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Sometimes you just have to deal with roadie traffic...doesn't mean you should endanger them or oncoming traffic.

I passed a roadie on Sunday morning riding about a foot outside the bike lane...kinda made me think WTF, but I'm not going buzz him or move into oncoming traffic or get pissed off and honk or yell at him...what does that accomplish?

And if you knew it was a race, I'm assuming you knew it was a race because that's what you said and there were probably signs posted, why is there even something to complain about?

!Vamos, flaco!
    Let's gain some perspective. Think about these questions:

How much do these group ride actually inconvenience you?

Do you arrive at you destination later than you would have or do you just speed up after going around them and then end up sitting at the same light you would have hit anyway?

Are these roadies that much more of an inconvenice to you that additional cars would be?

Are these roadies as much of an inconvenience to you in you car as you are to hikers and other trail users are when you're mountain biking?

Is is really that bad that people are using the public rights-of-way in a non-typical fasion?

Why are you so stressed out?
    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

!Vamos, flaco!
    Quote Originally Posted by joelalamo45
    Roadies annoy the hell out of me too but I try to keep it to myself (although it's hard) on the forums.

Next time a roadie flips you off for honking at them for doing something wrong. Do what I do... Pull your car over, get out and wait for them. I've never had one stop and wanna "discuss" the situation. Running them over or buzzing too close to one won't make them change their attitude but a possible ass-kicking may.

The advice I just gave you was horrible advice, and don't follow it as I do stupid stuff sometimes.
    Talk about launching a missle to kill a mouse.

Have you considered that there's no difference between "roadies" and mountain bikers riding to the trail.

Slopestyle Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Pabs
    Talk about launching a missle to kill a mouse.

Have you considered that there's no difference between "roadies" and mountain bikers riding to the trail.
    Dude... use your humor detector. I was kidding.

!Vamos, flaco!
    Quote Originally Posted by weimie
    I passed a roadie on Sunday morning riding about a foot outside the bike lane...kinda made me think WTF, but I'm not going buzz him or move into oncoming traffic or get pissed off and honk or yell at him...what does that accomplish?
    As a cyclist that rides on the road for fun and commuting, I can say that "bike lanes" are often just the shoulder of roads and are very inconsistent. They generally have potholes, obstructions, and a lot more debris. It's often safer to ride on the white line where you have a good line and are visible to cars.

Of course, I cannot speak to the specific situation you mentioned.

!Vamos, flaco!
    Dude... use your humor detector. I was kidding.
    No worries.

I guess I don't think that endangering cyclists (even solo roadies) is very funny considering that it happens to me very frequently.

mtbr member
    do you know how i know your gay?

because your a scroadie
    "touchyoself"

enlightened.
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by crakkillsdaily
    do you know how i know your gay?

because your a scroadie
    Quality post.

Team Inflexible
    Last time I checked scrodies love sporting spandex and little hats. Makes me wonder????

Slopestyle Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by athalliah
    Quality post.
    Yes it was.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    As a cyclist that rides on the road for fun and commuting, I can say that "bike lanes" are often just the shoulder of roads and are very inconsistent. They generally have potholes, obstructions, and a lot more debris. It's often safer to ride on the white line where you have a good line and are visible to cars.

Of course, I cannot speak to the specific situation you mentioned.
    I commute to work everyday so I know the conditions of the bike lanes, at least on my route to work and they're pretty bad right and I have at times stayed or rode outside the bike lane to avoid something.....but that's also why I switched to hardcased tires.

But I didn't honk, yell or buzz him because he was doing it and it didn't make me angry....cause I was on my way to ride somewhere myself

..ouch
    How much do these group ride actually inconvenience you?
    Try driving up Lefthand Canyon during a weekend and then re-ask this question.

Do you arrive at you destination later than you would have or do you just speed up after going around them and then end up sitting at the same light you would have hit anyway?
    Yes.. I live in Ned. One moronic roadie on Canyon Rd can build up a line 10 cars long and add a good 15 minutes to the drive. I don't care how fast you _think_ you are, you're still friggin slow compared to a car.

Are these roadies that much more of an inconvenice to you that additional cars would be?
    Yes.. cars are usually spaced out where I can pass them. A roadie builds up a line of cars that can't be passed.

Are these roadies as much of an inconvenience to you in you car as you are to hikers and other trail users are when you're mountain biking?
    On a mountainbike I yield right of way and move over when someone faster comes up behind me. I also smile at fellow trail users and tend to get along cordially with other people in my sport.

Is is really that bad that people are using the public rights-of-way in a non-typical fasion?
    If it's a busy mountain road with no shoulders.. don't be an idiot. Seriously.

Why are you so stressed out?
    I'm not.. until I have to spend 10 minutes of an otherwise nice day following some moron's florescent spandex ass.. Plus men shaving their legs makes me a bit nauseous.

Overall I'm supportive of anyone on any type of bike.. but abusing the use of the road is no different than abusing the use of a trail.. it makes you an idiot. Brightly colored spandex just helps draw attention to it.

Slopestyle Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by thump
    Try driving up Lefthand Canyon during a weekend and then re-ask this question.

Yes.. I live in Ned. One moronic roadie on Canyon Rd can build up a line 10 cars long and add a good 15 minutes to the drive. I don't care how fast you _think_ you are, you're still friggin slow compared to a car.

Yes.. cars are usually spaced out where I can pass them. A roadie builds up a line of cars that can't be passed.

On a mountainbike I yield right of way and move over when someone faster comes up behind me. I also smile at fellow trail users and tend to get along cordially with other people in my sport.

If it's a busy mountain road with no shoulders.. don't be an idiot. Seriously.

I'm not.. until I have to spend 10 minutes of an otherwise nice day following some moron's florescent spandex ass.. Plus men shaving their legs makes me a bit nauseous.

Overall I'm supportive of anyone on any type of bike.. but abusing the use of the road is no different than abusing the use of a trail.. it makes you an idiot. Brightly colored spandex just helps draw attention to it.
    OWNED!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    One moronic roadie on Canyon Rd can... ...add a good 15 minutes to the drive.

A roadie builds up a line of cars that can't be passed.

uhhhhh... ...bullsh!t

..ouch
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt Disney's Frozen Head
    uhhhhh... ...bullsh!t
    Really? Care to wager? Come drive between Ned and Boulder with me this weekend if the weather's nice.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Really? Care to wager? Come drive between Ned and Boulder with me this weekend if the weather's nice.
    Yes really. You're pulling stuff out of your a$$ and I'm calling you on it

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Well I just got back from my road ride so I had some time to think more about this. Since today is Ride of Silence day (www.rideofsilence.org) I tried to think of all the people I know that have kill on their bikes on the road over the years. I was sort of surprise that all the riders I know who do stupid things every day on their bikes that piss people off, the ones that are six feet under were riding right and legal on the road the day they died. Drunk drivers, people going the wrong way on a one way street, passing in a no passing zone, drivers falling asleep, speeding, the list goes on. I'm sorry that I may force you to slow down for a couple minutes at most during your day, but it'll save you from seeing what's left behind after an accident.

joelalamo45
    "Pull your car over, get out and wait for them."

Please do. It will make it easier for me to tell the Cops your Plate Number.

Remember your three ton Tahoe pushes alot of wind off it when you pass me at 50+ MPH, please give a bike some room when you pass.

..ouch
    Yes really. You're pulling stuff out of your a$$ and I'm calling you on it
    Curvy, steep mountain road that has no shoulder along much of it + heavy springtime traffic + a few idiot roadies that ride several feet inside the lane. Why is it hard for you to understand how this works?

Team Inflexible
    uhhhhh... ...bullsh!t
    Quality post

Slopestyle Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by SAHD
    Well I just got back from my road ride so I had some time to think more about this. Since today is Ride of Silence day (www.rideofsilence.org) I tried to think of all the people I know that have kill on their bikes on the road over the years. I was sort of surprise that all the riders I know who do stupid things every day on their bikes that piss people off, the ones that are six feet under were riding right and legal on the road the day they died. Drunk drivers, people going the wrong way on a one way street, passing in a no passing zone, drivers falling asleep, speeding, the list goes on. I'm sorry that I may force you to slow down for a couple minutes at most during your day, but it'll save you from seeing what's left behind after an accident.

joelalamo45
    "Pull your car over, get out and wait for them."

Please do. It will make it easier for me to tell the Cops your Plate Number.

Remember your three ton Tahoe pushes alot of wind off it when you pass me at 50+ MPH, please give a bike some room when you pass.
    Do you look like this?
    Attached Images Attached Images

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Every time someone rides on the road.... God kills a kitten.

!Vamos, flaco!
    "Try driving up Lefthand Canyon during a weekend and then re-ask this question."

A swell subjective answer, but the inconvinience you're talking about boils down to having to pay more attention, use the steering wheel more often, and drive slightly slower. Heaven help you.

"Yes.. I live in Ned. One moronic roadie on Canyon Rd can build up a line 10 cars long and add a good 15 minutes to the drive. I don't care how fast you _think_ you are, you're still friggin slow compared to a car."

Think about your logic here. It's somehow the fault of the lone roadie and not traffic volume. I've driven and biked up that road plenty of times. The traffic volume, curves, and steep section near Boulder Falls do far more to slow you down than a roadie does. Further, as much as a cyclist may or may not be at "fault" in your view, traffic ofen slows greatly becasue people are nervous and poor drivers. more fundamentally, the cyclist (like all citiznes) has a right to use the road under Colorado law.

"Yes.. cars are usually spaced out where I can pass them. A roadie builds up a line of cars that can't be passed."

This just again shows your skewed view. I've driven a lot of canyons and its far easier to pass a cyclist slow compared to a car than it is to pass a car (even assuming that they are spaced out--which, in my experince, they are not) that is going much closer to your speed.

"On a mountainbike I yield right of way and move over when someone faster comes up behind me. I also smile at fellow trail users and tend to get along cordially with other people in my sport."

Most roadies are the same. Most are not racers out to break into cat.3 and ruin your weekend. Most are no different thatn you and me. A few bad apples should not be allowed to spoil the bunch. If that were the case, mountain biking is screwed as well.

"If it's a busy mountain road with no shoulders.. don't be an idiot. Seriously."

See my previous answer.

"I'm not.. until I have to spend 10 minutes of an otherwise nice day following some moron's florescent spandex ass.. Plus men shaving their legs makes me a bit nauseous."

It came across otherwise. Think about it. Ten minutes? That's really not very long and it's an absolute worst case scenario.

Further, you lose credibility in this argument with silly statements a like the one you make here. If I found being not in great cardio shape and drinking and smoking *** to be offensive, does that mean I'm free to paint all mountain bikers negatively? Moreover, lots of mountain bikers shave.

"Overall I'm supportive of anyone on any type of bike.. but abusing the use of the road is no different than abusing the use of a trail.. it makes you an idiot. Brightly colored spandex just helps draw attention to it."

You overall opinions belie your consiliatory statement here. "Everyone esle is ok as long as I'm not inconvenienced at all?"

BY the way, I see just as many fasion mistakes on the tail as on the road.

The really sad thing about your posts is that they rely on an utterly subjective assumption that there are roadies and mountain bikers. We're all just cyclists.

!Vamos, flaco!
    OWNED!
    No, he was just renting. Lease is over.

!Vamos, flaco!
    Do you look like this?
    Ned and Tomac looked just as stoopid in the 80s.

Heck, everyone looked stoopid in the 80s.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    No, I'm not as "sexy" or as fast as Pigg was

mtbr member
    Well i am not. and i have a few words for you all. What is your problem!?!?! what gives you guys the right to ride 5 people wide on the road. Yeah so I was driving from loveland to boulder the other day (yes i know its boulder but it was ON THE WAY) not on the highway but the back way for those of you who know it and there was some stupid roadie race going on. the very very few who rode single file i greatly respected. but 99% of the time they were at least two or three wide. not only is it painfully annoying, but its illegal. and then to have the nerve to give me some dirty look when im going around (sometimes honking, granted) or even send a cute little bird my way. i even almost ran over some idiot in the other lane (riding double wide of course) going around a lone rider in my lane. That dingle-berry wouldn't have gotten almost nailed by a three-ton tahoe if he would have simply ridden single file. ok now im done

CRY ME A RIVER ..............D!CKFACE!

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    Wow you guys had a lot of time today, probably took longer to type all that bs, than it did waiting to pass safely. If you left a little earlier you might not be 10 minutes late. Don't blame me I ride single file. More and more people are going to be riding to work or ??? Lets give em a brake. You never know they might have two great kids at home waiting for them.

I tried to get sappy, sorry...

troll2.jpg
    Last edited by PBR me!; 05-21-2008 at 02:38 PM.
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by longman
    CRY ME A RIVER ..............D!CKFACE!

mtbr member
    You know I do ride a road bike sometimes, but typically I run a shuttle while doing it.

Lighten up and go riding guys.
    Now if you're wonderin' what I think of it all, just read the back of this postcard. - WSP

..ouch
    Blah blah blah... blah blah.. blah.
    Yup.. okay. Please try to stay to the side of the road so I can pass easily and I'll give you plenty of room while doing so.

The really sad thing about your posts is that they rely on an utterly subjective assumption that there are roadies and mountain bikers. We're all just cyclists.
    Meh.. I don't really care what type of bike you're on. I differentiate between cyclists and asshats. People that ride in the middle of the road lane are asshats.. so are mtbr's that widen the trail. It's not confined to any one subset, this thread just happens to be about the roadie version.

Thread Terrorist
    uhhhhh... ...bullsh!t
    and then they get passed, have an accident and kill the roadie. It happened in golden a few weeks ago.

!Vamos, flaco!
    Meh.. I don't really care what type of bike you're on. I differentiate between cyclists and asshats. People that ride in the middle of the road lane are asshats.. so are mtbr's that widen the trail. It's not confined to any one subset, this thread just happens to be about the roadie version.
    That's a fine distinction, but generally what I read in this thread, and what I hear on this board, a distinction is made between roadies and mountain bikers--not idiots and non-idiots.

skillz to pay billz
    darn, I'm out of popcorn

Now with 10% more!

Great!

I just sat and read this thread while eating dinner. Way better than anything on tv! Keep it going!

..ouch
    That's a fine distinction, but generally what I read in this thread, and what I hear on this board, a distinction is made between roadies and mountain bikers--not idiots and non-idiots.
    That could be b/c you're on MTBR. But true.. we should be focusing on more important things.. like why a man would choose to wear spandex.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles

My thoughts exactly!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Muff
    My thoughts exactly!
    HAHA! I bet you and skaredshtles spent hours on the phone working that comeback out...what a double act! you should be on stage. awesome

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by longman
    HAHA! I bet you and skaredshtles spent hours on the phone working that comeback out...what a double act! you should be on stage. awesome
    Don't try to deflect this. It's all you....

mtbr member
    Don't try to deflect this. It's all you....
    no, I insist, you win

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Well damn, I don't drive Left Hand that often, 4 maybe five times a year. The times I do drive the Boulder/Jeffco county canyons are usually in the summer and on a weekend and I don't recall ever being held up too bad by cyclists. When they are climbing they usually keep to the far right and aren't that hard to get by safely. When they are descending they are not going too much slower than the car traffic and once again, it usually isn't that hard to safely get by. I certainly don't think I'm being delayed all that much by cyclists. Large packs blocking traffic outside of the context of a sanctioned and permitted race is a different issue, but I've never encountered anything like this on my occasional forays on front range roads.

Maybe I'm just a chill kind of guy but someone slowing me and my automobile doesn't make me pop a vein or anything. Road rage is such an ugly and pointless affliction. Plus, a lot of you guys need to get over your sexual insecurity about Lycra and shaved legs. Especially since a lot of you are the first ones to jump down throat and label close minded anyone that ridicules the baggy outfits that so many snowboarders and DHers wear.

friend of Apex
    Every time someone rides on the road.... God kills a kitten.
    Thanks a$$! I just spit up a gulp of my Odells IPA... stuff aint cheap

I love springtime in the Rockies

..ouch
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm
    Well damn, I don't drive Left Hand that often, 4 maybe five times a year. The times I do drive the Boulder/Jeffco county canyons are usually in the summer and on a weekend and I don't recall ever being held up too bad by cyclists.
    You're kidding right? Most any Sat/Sun morning during spring you can count 200+ cyclists going up this road. It's a fairly constant stream. At the top they congregate on the road in front of the Ward general store like the place is giving away free Schick Quattros.

Plus, a lot of you guys need to get over your sexual insecurity about Lycra and shaved legs. Especially since a lot of you are the first ones to jump down throat and label close minded anyone that ridicules the baggy outfits that so many snowboarders and DHers wear.
    DH baggies cover armour. It's typical for men to wear loose fitting shorts as street clothing. What's the functional point of lycra and shaving?

Roadie shorts are no less disturbing than Speedos at the public pool.

enlightened.
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by IndecentExposure
    and then they get passed, have an accident and kill the roadie. It happened in golden a few weeks ago.
    You really should get your facts straight on this one. The man who was killed was solo and killed by an oncoming vehicle. The postal truck wasn't passing a cyclist but simply a bad driver.

----

You all claim to know where these cyclists are that are killing your petro groove. So then in these areas be mindful, don't speed and please don't buzz me, blast your horn at me, scream at me, throw crap at me, clip me with your side view mirror or run over/kill me. Actually, please don't do this anywhere you see me or another cyclist. Really, how would you feel if you killed someone? You're being a d!ck and totally disrespectful of life. I am just trying to get to work so backdafugoff. Seriously, you people scare the sheet out of me when you pull crap like this. You're in a freaking vehicle that outweighs me ten times over. Stop thinking of just yourselves. Put your wife, your daughter, your sister, your mother in my position on the road. She can feel the heat of your engine as you pass. She wonders can she maintain her trajectory on only a few inches of pavement between her and a rutted drop to a drainage ditch as you're trying to see just how close you can get with your vehicle at 45 mph. Every part of her is scared that you're trying to kill her. Would you do this to someone you love? Because someone loves that person whose life you're placing in the balance. They probably don't appreciate it; I know I sure as hell don't.

friend of Apex
    ridicules the baggy outfits that so many snowboarders wear.
    Do drag us into this mess, brutha. We just love to ride the fluff in comf, brah

friend of Apex
    Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR
    Do drag us into this mess, brutha. We just love to ride the fluff in comf, brah

Screw off you stupid hippie! I wear brighter colors so folks dont hit me on the road, and it fits tighter so I can ride to work faster, have a few more minutes with my family.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast