Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Any one also a roadie in here?

Well i am not. and i have a few words for you all. What is your problem!?!?! what gives you guys the right to ride 5 people wide on the road. Yeah so I was driving from loveland to boulder the other day (yes i know its boulder but it was ON THE WAY) not on the highway but the back way for those of you who know it and there was some stupid roadie race going on. the very very few who rode single file i greatly respected. but 99% of the time they were at least two or three wide. not only is it painfully annoying, but its illegal. and then to have the nerve to give me some dirty look when im going around (sometimes honking, granted) or even send a cute little bird my way. i even almost ran over some idiot in the other lane (riding double wide of course) going around a lone rider in my lane. That dingle-berry wouldn't have gotten almost nailed by a three-ton tahoe if he would have simply ridden single file. ok now im done
    poli=many. tics=bloodsucking creatures. so what does that make politicians?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb_crzd47
    ...but 99% of the time they were at least two or three wide...
    Prone to exaggeration are we?

skillz to pay billz
    And I thought I had too much coffee this morning...

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb_crzd47
    i even almost ran over some idiot in the other lane (riding double wide of course) going around a lone rider in my lane. That dingle-berry wouldn't have gotten almost nailed by a three-ton tahoe if he would have simply ridden single file. ok now im done
    Why were you passing anybody with oncoming traffic in the other lane? Last I checked that is just as illegal and even more stupid!

Slopestyle Rider
    Roadies annoy the hell out of me too but I try to keep it to myself (although it's hard) on the forums.

Next time a roadie flips you off for honking at them for doing something wrong. Do what I do... Pull your car over, get out and wait for them. I've never had one stop and wanna "discuss" the situation. Running them over or buzzing too close to one won't make them change their attitude but a possible ass-kicking may.

The advice I just gave you was horrible advice, and don't follow it as I do stupid stuff sometimes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Sometimes you just have to deal with roadie traffic...doesn't mean you should endanger them or oncoming traffic.

I passed a roadie on Sunday morning riding about a foot outside the bike lane...kinda made me think WTF, but I'm not going buzz him or move into oncoming traffic or get pissed off and honk or yell at him...what does that accomplish?

And if you knew it was a race, I'm assuming you knew it was a race because that's what you said and there were probably signs posted, why is there even something to complain about?

!Vamos, flaco!
    Let's gain some perspective. Think about these questions:

How much do these group ride actually inconvenience you?

Do you arrive at you destination later than you would have or do you just speed up after going around them and then end up sitting at the same light you would have hit anyway?

Are these roadies that much more of an inconvenice to you that additional cars would be?

Are these roadies as much of an inconvenience to you in you car as you are to hikers and other trail users are when you're mountain biking?

Is is really that bad that people are using the public rights-of-way in a non-typical fasion?

Why are you so stressed out?
    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

!Vamos, flaco!
    Quote Originally Posted by joelalamo45
    Roadies annoy the hell out of me too but I try to keep it to myself (although it's hard) on the forums.

Next time a roadie flips you off for honking at them for doing something wrong. Do what I do... Pull your car over, get out and wait for them. I've never had one stop and wanna "discuss" the situation. Running them over or buzzing too close to one won't make them change their attitude but a possible ass-kicking may.

The advice I just gave you was horrible advice, and don't follow it as I do stupid stuff sometimes.
    Talk about launching a missle to kill a mouse.

Have you considered that there's no difference between "roadies" and mountain bikers riding to the trail.

Slopestyle Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Pabs
    Talk about launching a missle to kill a mouse.

Have you considered that there's no difference between "roadies" and mountain bikers riding to the trail.
    Dude... use your humor detector. I was kidding.

!Vamos, flaco!
    Quote Originally Posted by weimie
    I passed a roadie on Sunday morning riding about a foot outside the bike lane...kinda made me think WTF, but I'm not going buzz him or move into oncoming traffic or get pissed off and honk or yell at him...what does that accomplish?
    As a cyclist that rides on the road for fun and commuting, I can say that "bike lanes" are often just the shoulder of roads and are very inconsistent. They generally have potholes, obstructions, and a lot more debris. It's often safer to ride on the white line where you have a good line and are visible to cars.

Of course, I cannot speak to the specific situation you mentioned.

!Vamos, flaco!
    Quote Originally Posted by joelalamo45
    Dude... use your humor detector. I was kidding.
    No worries.

I guess I don't think that endangering cyclists (even solo roadies) is very funny considering that it happens to me very frequently.

mtbr member
    do you know how i know your gay?

because your a scroadie
    "touchyoself"

enlightened.
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by crakkillsdaily
    do you know how i know your gay?

because your a scroadie
    Quality post.

Team Inflexible
    Last time I checked scrodies love sporting spandex and little hats. Makes me wonder????

Slopestyle Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by athalliah
    Quality post.
    Yes it was.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    As a cyclist that rides on the road for fun and commuting, I can say that "bike lanes" are often just the shoulder of roads and are very inconsistent. They generally have potholes, obstructions, and a lot more debris. It's often safer to ride on the white line where you have a good line and are visible to cars.

Of course, I cannot speak to the specific situation you mentioned.
    I commute to work everyday so I know the conditions of the bike lanes, at least on my route to work and they're pretty bad right and I have at times stayed or rode outside the bike lane to avoid something.....but that's also why I switched to hardcased tires.

But I didn't honk, yell or buzz him because he was doing it and it didn't make me angry....cause I was on my way to ride somewhere myself

..ouch
    How much do these group ride actually inconvenience you?
    Try driving up Lefthand Canyon during a weekend and then re-ask this question.

Do you arrive at you destination later than you would have or do you just speed up after going around them and then end up sitting at the same light you would have hit anyway?
    Yes.. I live in Ned. One moronic roadie on Canyon Rd can build up a line 10 cars long and add a good 15 minutes to the drive. I don't care how fast you _think_ you are, you're still friggin slow compared to a car.

Are these roadies that much more of an inconvenice to you that additional cars would be?
    Yes.. cars are usually spaced out where I can pass them. A roadie builds up a line of cars that can't be passed.

Are these roadies as much of an inconvenience to you in you car as you are to hikers and other trail users are when you're mountain biking?
    On a mountainbike I yield right of way and move over when someone faster comes up behind me. I also smile at fellow trail users and tend to get along cordially with other people in my sport.

Is is really that bad that people are using the public rights-of-way in a non-typical fasion?
    If it's a busy mountain road with no shoulders.. don't be an idiot. Seriously.

Why are you so stressed out?
    I'm not.. until I have to spend 10 minutes of an otherwise nice day following some moron's florescent spandex ass.. Plus men shaving their legs makes me a bit nauseous.

Overall I'm supportive of anyone on any type of bike.. but abusing the use of the road is no different than abusing the use of a trail.. it makes you an idiot. Brightly colored spandex just helps draw attention to it.

Slopestyle Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by thump
    Try driving up Lefthand Canyon during a weekend and then re-ask this question.

Yes.. I live in Ned. One moronic roadie on Canyon Rd can build up a line 10 cars long and add a good 15 minutes to the drive. I don't care how fast you _think_ you are, you're still friggin slow compared to a car.

Yes.. cars are usually spaced out where I can pass them. A roadie builds up a line of cars that can't be passed.

On a mountainbike I yield right of way and move over when someone faster comes up behind me. I also smile at fellow trail users and tend to get along cordially with other people in my sport.

If it's a busy mountain road with no shoulders.. don't be an idiot. Seriously.

I'm not.. until I have to spend 10 minutes of an otherwise nice day following some moron's florescent spandex ass.. Plus men shaving their legs makes me a bit nauseous.

Overall I'm supportive of anyone on any type of bike.. but abusing the use of the road is no different than abusing the use of a trail.. it makes you an idiot. Brightly colored spandex just helps draw attention to it.
    OWNED!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    One moronic roadie on Canyon Rd can... ...add a good 15 minutes to the drive.

A roadie builds up a line of cars that can't be passed.

uhhhhh... ...bullsh!t

..ouch
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt Disney's Frozen Head
    uhhhhh... ...bullsh!t
    Really? Care to wager? Come drive between Ned and Boulder with me this weekend if the weather's nice.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Really? Care to wager? Come drive between Ned and Boulder with me this weekend if the weather's nice.
    Yes really. You're pulling stuff out of your a$$ and I'm calling you on it

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Well I just got back from my road ride so I had some time to think more about this. Since today is Ride of Silence day (www.rideofsilence.org) I tried to think of all the people I know that have kill on their bikes on the road over the years. I was sort of surprise that all the riders I know who do stupid things every day on their bikes that piss people off, the ones that are six feet under were riding right and legal on the road the day they died. Drunk drivers, people going the wrong way on a one way street, passing in a no passing zone, drivers falling asleep, speeding, the list goes on. I'm sorry that I may force you to slow down for a couple minutes at most during your day, but it'll save you from seeing what's left behind after an accident.

joelalamo45
    "Pull your car over, get out and wait for them."

Please do. It will make it easier for me to tell the Cops your Plate Number.

Remember your three ton Tahoe pushes alot of wind off it when you pass me at 50+ MPH, please give a bike some room when you pass.

..ouch
    Yes really. You're pulling stuff out of your a$$ and I'm calling you on it
    Curvy, steep mountain road that has no shoulder along much of it + heavy springtime traffic + a few idiot roadies that ride several feet inside the lane. Why is it hard for you to understand how this works?

Team Inflexible
    uhhhhh... ...bullsh!t
    Quality post

Slopestyle Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by SAHD
    Well I just got back from my road ride so I had some time to think more about this. Since today is Ride of Silence day (www.rideofsilence.org) I tried to think of all the people I know that have kill on their bikes on the road over the years. I was sort of surprise that all the riders I know who do stupid things every day on their bikes that piss people off, the ones that are six feet under were riding right and legal on the road the day they died. Drunk drivers, people going the wrong way on a one way street, passing in a no passing zone, drivers falling asleep, speeding, the list goes on. I'm sorry that I may force you to slow down for a couple minutes at most during your day, but it'll save you from seeing what's left behind after an accident.

joelalamo45
    "Pull your car over, get out and wait for them."

Please do. It will make it easier for me to tell the Cops your Plate Number.

Remember your three ton Tahoe pushes alot of wind off it when you pass me at 50+ MPH, please give a bike some room when you pass.
    Do you look like this?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast