Motion activated

Any LBS discounting 07' FS bikes?

I have a relative coming over from Australia at the end of the month and he wants to buy a new bike to take back. Most likely something around the 120-140mm travel mark for $1500 give or take. Size will be a 19 or 20"

I know that's a pretty tight budget for a bike with a decent fork, shock and brakes so I was hoping to get something on close out. Anyone notice something at their LBS that fits that description?

We'll probably checkout all the usual Denver suspects (performance, wheatridge, westside, REI, mojo, denverspoke etc). Since he's coming for a skiing holiday, he'll only be in Denver for a day, so any leads would be much appreciated.
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

Thread Terrorist
    Check out Mojo. They might have some older stock their trying to unload.

Otherwise, March is the month of big tent sales.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member
    May 2005

Close out 07 bikes

Lee's Cyclery on Harmony in Fort Collins has 2 Gary Fisher Hi Fi bikes that where both ridden lightly as demos for sale in and above that price range. One is a HiFi Pro and the other I think is a HiFi Deluxe. call and ask for Heath or Nigel Saturday or Sunday.

mtbr member
    May 2005

forgot the size

Both are 21" bikes

Motion activated
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. I think a 21" might be too large, but I'll checkout the geo on the fisher website.

Living the High Life
    West Side Bike on Colfax near Wadsworth has 1 or 2 20" Enduros for $2000 right now instead of $2500. But they might come down a bit since there's snow outside.

I bought one and its a great all mountain / trail type of bike.

It comes with some nice parts, x-9's Juicy 5's, and a Float RL 130mm fork.

Motion activated
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithnu
    West Side Bike on Colfax near Wadsworth has 1 or 2 20" Enduros for $2000 right now instead of $2500. But they might come down a bit since there's snow outside.

I bought one and its a great all mountain / trail type of bike.

It comes with some nice parts, x-9's Juicy 5's, and a Float RL 130mm fork.
    Thanks for the heads up, I checked that bike out today. Looks pretty sweet for the price, but I think the enduro frame might be a touch too much bike.

I saw a C-dale prophet today that looks like a pretty nice balance between price, travel and weight. Trance X at west side looks good too.

MK_
    carpe mañana
    I think Randall Scott cycles in Boulder are running a 07 closeout. You would be looking at an Iron Horse MKIII.

_MK

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Golden Bike Shop has a bunch of last year's bikes in the house. I know they have quite a few Kona's they are looking to move that should be around your price range and are decent rigs for the price. They also have a Med. Intense 5.5 demo for sale. Nice guys, tell them Kevin sent you.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Performance at 88th and Wads

The Performance at 88th and Wadsworth had some sweet deals on Iron Horse and Rocky Mountain last time I was there.

Although I must say, their stock has gone way downhill since they were Supergo.

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve71
    Thanks for the heads up, I checked that bike out today. Looks pretty sweet for the price, but I think the enduro frame might be a touch too much bike.

I saw a C-dale prophet today that looks like a pretty nice balance between price, travel and weight. Trance X at west side looks good too.
    Yeah, the Trance X would be a great trail bike too. West Side Bike has a lot of mid-high end trail bikes.

MTB B'dos
    Steve, can't believe after you ride a Reign that you wouldn't know and be looking mainly at the GIANTs for a price to parts bike. I think you could pick up a '07 Reign3 or maybe a Trance3 for that price. Not sure about the TranceX's as I thought they were actually early for '08. If he could get TranceX for around that price it's get him rolling on a good quality frame worthy of upgrades later on. You do remember that people are putting 130mm+ forks on the normal Trances right
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

Motion activated
    Quote Originally Posted by MK_
    I think Randall Scott cycles in Boulder are running a 07 closeout. You would be looking at an Iron Horse MKIII.

_MK
    Thanks MK, I'll give them a call tomorrow and see what they've got.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Ending
    Golden Bike Shop has a bunch of last year's bikes in the house. I know they have quite a few Kona's they are looking to move that should be around your price range and are decent rigs for the price. They also have a Med. Intense 5.5 demo for sale. Nice guys, tell them Kevin sent you.
    Thanks, I checked them out today and they have a nice Kona Dawg in a 19" for a good price.

Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit
    The Performance at 88th and Wadsworth had some sweet deals on Iron Horse and Rocky Mountain last time I was there.

Although I must say, their stock has gone way downhill since they were Supergo.
    I'm with you 100% on the supergo thing. I went their yesterday hoping to find something, but they just had a bunch of so-so bikes in the 5" travel range.

Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    Steve, can't believe after you ride a Reign that you wouldn't know and be looking mainly at the GIANTs for a price to parts bike. I think you could pick up a '07 Reign3 or maybe a Trance3 for that price. Not sure about the TranceX's as I thought they were actually early for '08. If he could get TranceX for around that price it's get him rolling on a good quality frame worthy of upgrades later on. You do remember that people are putting 130mm+ forks on the normal Trances right
    I think the Reign is too much bike and the 07' Trances are not enough (4" of travel). The 08' Trance X is pretty sweet for the $. I like the fact that it has a coil fork and a 180mm rotor up front.

However this guys is around 200lb, so I think he'd really benefit from a TA fork. Unfortunately at this price point it isn't going to happen. The Cannondale with the 140mm TPC lefty is probably going to be a stiffer fork than anything from fox with 32mm stanchions. I also like the two HA settings (69/67) on the cannondale frame. I seriously doubt he's going to upgrade anything on the bike, so I have to look at the overall package.

It's a shame 2k bikes ain't speced with TA forks.

MTB B'dos
    Well if you can score a C'dale Prophet for around that coin with a decent spec it sounds like it would do him fine. Still think the Lefty's look weird, but they are a good product and stiff. Still like my Maestro/CVA suspension though, maybe if you find a local shop you could see about maybe doing a fork swap for a bit more and they keep the OEM fork.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve71
    I think the Reign is too much bike and the 07' Trances are not enough (4" of travel). The 08' Trance X is pretty sweet for the $. I like the fact that it has a coil fork and a 180mm rotor up front.

However this guys is around 200lb, so I think he'd really benefit from a TA fork. Unfortunately at this price point it isn't going to happen. The Cannondale with the 140mm TPC lefty is probably going to be a stiffer fork than anything from fox with 32mm stanchions. I also like the two HA settings (69/67) on the cannondale frame. I seriously doubt he's going to upgrade anything on the bike, so I have to look at the overall package.

It's a shame 2k bikes ain't speced with TA forks.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Prophet

My son has a Prophet and loves it. I ride it quite a bit, too.

The 'Large' size is not really all that large. I'm 5'8" and can ride it comfortably, with one size shorter stem than stock.

The Lefty is very stiff. Keep in mind you won't find a spare front wheel just anywhere. And stems are expensive and limited in selection.

Some Prophets have Marzocchi forks standard now.

Team Velveeta™

Absolute Salida

If you want to show him what Colorado's Outback looks like, head up to Salida and check out Absolute's closeouts:

http://absolutebikes.com/clearance.php
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"