Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 30
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    276

    Any good trails without the large climbs?

    I am still not in great shape yet, but working on it. However I like to ride after work, but the climbs at Green Mountain and Lair O Bear, are not that fun when you don't have a ton of time. I was curious if there were any single tracks that are technical without the big climbs...I know, suck it up....any other insight would be great...thanks.

  2. #2
    trail waggler
    Reputation: daveM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,425
    No.
    MY dog can lick YOUR dog!

  3. #3
    Rolling
    Reputation: lidarman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,119
    Quote Originally Posted by daveM
    No.
    Was the "No" ride today awesome or what? The weather was perfect.

  4. #4
    fyyff
    Reputation: day-o's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    113
    South Table Mtn from the NREL visitor lot. It's a short climb with trails that run all over the top. Or Dowdy Draw to Community Ditch to Greenbelt Trail to High Plains

  5. #5
    VooDoo user.
    Reputation: TIMBERRR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,394
    I hear Kansas has good flat riding through the corn fields.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    29
    i can vouch to kansas having flat rides. i have spent many miles and hours on cattle trails.

  7. #7
    Ride Everything
    Reputation: GRAVELBIKE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,333
    Betasso doesn't have a ton of climbing.
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

  8. #8
    holding back the darkness
    Reputation: subliminalshiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,710
    Heil Valley. North of boulder a short jaunt down lefthand canyon rd. Although I think you'll find the trails with climbs to be better.. more rewarding... more fun.
    **** censorship

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    276
    Thanks for the help, I do ride the climbs on the weekends...just looking for some trails when I don't have as much time...I will look into Kansas....

  10. #10
    Rolling
    Reputation: lidarman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,119
    Quote Originally Posted by BenR
    Thanks for the help, I do ride the climbs on the weekends...just looking for some trails when I don't have as much time...I will look into Kansas....
    You might be blown into Kansas, it sucks.

    But how would you get back?

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: YETI_Chris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    988
    Quote Originally Posted by daveM
    No.

    I saw this coming

  12. #12
    Thread Terrorist
    Reputation: IndecentExposure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,837
    flying J Ranch and Mathews Winters.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    165
    Flying J Ranch off of 285 south of Evergreen. Some tech spots but nothing too terrible. Roller coaster single track, no big climbs.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MtbRN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    892
    How about the Coyote Song trail out on Deer Creek Canyon road? Short, perfect for an after work ride and I don't recall toooo much climbing on it.
    But really, why not just do the climbs? You'll get in shape faster and get better at climbing. Which is important if you plan to ride in the front range. Lair of the Bear is a nice gradual climb and good for training.
    I drank the 29er koolaid- turns out it was POWERade

  15. #15
    !Vamos, flaco!
    Reputation: Pabs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,358
    Lory State Park up to Horsetooth Mountain Park.
    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    271
    Quote Originally Posted by BenR
    I am still not in great shape yet, but working on it. However I like to ride after work, but the climbs at Green Mountain and Lair O Bear, are not that fun when you don't have a ton of time. I was curious if there were any single tracks that are technical without the big climbs...I know, suck it up....any other insight would be great...thanks.
    Lory north of Fort Collins

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    133
    Bear Creek Lake Park has very little climbing, and what climbing there is is either very short or there's a road parallel to the trail. There are lots of routes, and a few technical sections (not a lot) but it's a good area to build your fitness so you can tackle the bigger climbs.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kosayno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    965
    You'll get better much faster if you challenge yourself to the hard climbs instead of sissifying yourself.

  19. #19
    Thread Terrorist
    Reputation: IndecentExposure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,837
    Quote Originally Posted by kosayno
    You'll get better much faster if you challenge yourself to the hard climbs instead of sissifying yourself.
    Its a disease called "pussitis". But your point is perfect, if you want to get in shape, ride up the hill!

  20. #20
    skillz to pay billz
    Reputation: nOOby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,556
    apex.

















    downhill

  21. #21
    Thread Terrorist
    Reputation: IndecentExposure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,837
    Keystone

  22. #22
    trail waggler
    Reputation: daveM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,425

    We bailed...

    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    Was the "No" ride today awesome or what? The weather was perfect.
    Because of potential crowdage, did a plan 'B' that had me writhing in pain at the end from leg cramps Lotsa fun though!

    Give me a shout if you are free next weekend, I might be gettin' some more pads for Whyteboy's proposed ride...
    MY dog can lick YOUR dog!

  23. #23
    Yappy little dog!
    Reputation: schnauzers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,881
    Quote Originally Posted by BenR
    I am still not in great shape yet, but working on it. However I like to ride after work, but the climbs at Green Mountain and Lair O Bear, are not that fun when you don't have a ton of time. I was curious if there were any single tracks that are technical without the big climbs...I know, suck it up....any other insight would be great...thanks.

    Yeah, tons of them -- Just click here for descriptions!

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    462
    Buffalo Creek -- Colorado Trail, out and back from top lot

  25. #25
    Lucky Wrecker
    Reputation: miwoodar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    103
    Quote Originally Posted by BenR
    I am still not in great shape yet, but working on it. However I like to ride after work, but the climbs at Green Mountain and Lair O Bear, are not that fun when you don't have a ton of time. I was curious if there were any single tracks that are technical without the big climbs...I know, suck it up....any other insight would be great...thanks.

    I don't think buff creek has anything technical unless you count loose sand as technical. It's fun and fast but it's not a good after work ride unless you can leave the office early. It's ~25 minutes SW of the junction of 470 x 285.

    You said it yourself...'suck it up'. Rather than look for trails that don't have tough uphill, I would recommend the opposite. Go hit a few really hard climbs so all of the other trails you hit will suddenly appear easier (both mentally and physically).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •