Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Any good trails without the large climbs?

I am still not in great shape yet, but working on it. However I like to ride after work, but the climbs at Green Mountain and Lair O Bear, are not that fun when you don't have a ton of time. I was curious if there were any single tracks that are technical without the big climbs...I know, suck it up....any other insight would be great...thanks.

trail waggler
    No.
    MY dog can lick YOUR dog!

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by daveM
    No.
    Was the "No" ride today awesome or what? The weather was perfect.

fyyff
    South Table Mtn from the NREL visitor lot. It's a short climb with trails that run all over the top. Or Dowdy Draw to Community Ditch to Greenbelt Trail to High Plains

VooDoo user.
    I hear Kansas has good flat riding through the corn fields.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    i can vouch to kansas having flat rides. i have spent many miles and hours on cattle trails.

Ride Everything
    Betasso doesn't have a ton of climbing.
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

holding back the darkness
    Heil Valley. North of boulder a short jaunt down lefthand canyon rd. Although I think you'll find the trails with climbs to be better.. more rewarding... more fun.
    **** censorship

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks for the help, I do ride the climbs on the weekends...just looking for some trails when I don't have as much time...I will look into Kansas....

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by BenR
    Thanks for the help, I do ride the climbs on the weekends...just looking for some trails when I don't have as much time...I will look into Kansas....
    You might be blown into Kansas, it sucks.

But how would you get back?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by daveM
    No.

I saw this coming

Thread Terrorist
    flying J Ranch and Mathews Winters.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Flying J Ranch off of 285 south of Evergreen. Some tech spots but nothing too terrible. Roller coaster single track, no big climbs.

mtbr member
    How about the Coyote Song trail out on Deer Creek Canyon road? Short, perfect for an after work ride and I don't recall toooo much climbing on it.
    But really, why not just do the climbs? You'll get in shape faster and get better at climbing. Which is important if you plan to ride in the front range. Lair of the Bear is a nice gradual climb and good for training.
    I drank the 29er koolaid- turns out it was POWERade

!Vamos, flaco!
    Lory State Park up to Horsetooth Mountain Park.
    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I am still not in great shape yet, but working on it. However I like to ride after work, but the climbs at Green Mountain and Lair O Bear, are not that fun when you don't have a ton of time. I was curious if there were any single tracks that are technical without the big climbs...I know, suck it up....any other insight would be great...thanks.
    Lory north of Fort Collins

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Bear Creek Lake Park has very little climbing, and what climbing there is is either very short or there's a road parallel to the trail. There are lots of routes, and a few technical sections (not a lot) but it's a good area to build your fitness so you can tackle the bigger climbs.

mtbr member
    You'll get better much faster if you challenge yourself to the hard climbs instead of sissifying yourself.

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by kosayno
    You'll get better much faster if you challenge yourself to the hard climbs instead of sissifying yourself.
    Its a disease called "pussitis". But your point is perfect, if you want to get in shape, ride up the hill!

skillz to pay billz
    apex.

downhill

Thread Terrorist
    Keystone

trail waggler

We bailed...

Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    Was the "No" ride today awesome or what? The weather was perfect.
    Because of potential crowdage, did a plan 'B' that had me writhing in pain at the end from leg cramps Lotsa fun though!

Give me a shout if you are free next weekend, I might be gettin' some more pads for Whyteboy's proposed ride...
    MY dog can lick YOUR dog!

Yappy little dog!

Yeah, tons of them -- Just click here for descriptions!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Buffalo Creek -- Colorado Trail, out and back from top lot

Lucky Wrecker

I don't think buff creek has anything technical unless you count loose sand as technical. It's fun and fast but it's not a good after work ride unless you can leave the office early. It's ~25 minutes SW of the junction of 470 x 285.

You said it yourself...'suck it up'. Rather than look for trails that don't have tough uphill, I would recommend the opposite. Go hit a few really hard climbs so all of the other trails you hit will suddenly appear easier (both mentally and physically).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast