Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    276

    Any fly fishing folks on here?

    Hi, I ride the front range quite a bit and am looking to pack a fly rod along with me. I am not looking for large streams...but any suggestions as to smaller streams that you can ride/pack into for an evening or day trip would be great. Also ride in the winter park/fraser area and looking for the same. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...thanks,BR

  2. #2
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,592
    Geez, man - almost every trail has a creek along it at some point. Just go and fish!

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,126
    Waterton canyon is a dirt road alongside the S. Platte for about 6 miles with a light grade. I was up there last weekend and the fishing was great and the ride is enjoyable, not singletrack except at the top on Roxbourough or Colorado Trail. There's also Ceran St Vrain trail but its most likely frozen as well as Peaceful Valley up by Ward.

  4. #4
    Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    Reputation: Godzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2,437
    Any recommendations on where to learn how to fly fish? I found the wallet of Field and Stream's editor lying on the side of 285 last weekend. He gave me a nice rod / reel as a "thank you". Now I just need to learn to use it, fortunately I live within walking distance of Waterton.
    Now with more vitriol!

  5. #5
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,592
    Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla
    Any recommendations on where to learn how to fly fish?
    My recommendation - don't.


  6. #6
    Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    Reputation: Godzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2,437
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    My recommendation - don't.

    Not a big fan of fly fishing?

    I'm good at standing around with a blank look on my face, but don't have the patience to sit still and wait for the fish to come to me.
    Now with more vitriol!

  7. #7
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,592
    Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla
    Not a big fan of fly fishing?
    No... I like it OK. It's just that you gotta be VERY careful not to get completely sucked in. It's a $$ and time pit.

    I'm good at standing around with a blank look on my face, but don't have the patience to sit still and wait for the fish to come to me.
    It's definitely more entertaining than boat/shore fishing... and as long as you don't mind not catching anything it can be a mellow thing to do.

  8. #8
    Bad Andy
    Reputation: andychrysler's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    877
    Josh - I know a guy that used to run a fly fishing guide company - he probably has some contacts - I can check with him for some recommendations in your area if you want.

  9. #9
    Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    Reputation: Godzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2,437
    Quote Originally Posted by andychrysler
    Josh - I know a guy that used to run a fly fishing guide company - he probably has some contacts - I can check with him for some recommendations in your area if you want.
    That would be great - I'll take all the info I can get at this point.
    Now with more vitriol!

  10. #10
    friend of Apex
    Reputation: WKD-RDR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,687
    http://www.coloradofishing.net/goldmedal.htm

    Lots of bike access to the areas along the S Platte
    the area around the N Platte is great.
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

  11. #11
    friend of Apex
    Reputation: WKD-RDR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,687
    http://www.coloradofishing.net/goldmedal.htm

    Lots of bike access to the areas along the S Platte
    the area around the N Platte is great.
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

  12. #12
    Bad Andy
    Reputation: andychrysler's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    877
    Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR
    N Platte is great.
    Is that Mickey's Big Mouth in your Avatar?
    That's one of the others I thought about using.
    The 3rd was Texas Sux. I think ITHNU should go with Texas Sux!

    OP - have you tried a search? - I think I recall this topic coming up a couple times.

  13. #13
    friend of Apex
    Reputation: WKD-RDR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,687
    Quote Originally Posted by andychrysler
    Is that Mickey's Big Mouth in your Avatar?
    That's one of the others I thought about using.
    The 3rd was Texas Sux. I think ITHNU should go with Texas Sux!

    OP - have you tried a search? - I think I recall this topic coming up a couple times.
    Yeah, drank a fair amount of 40 ouncers back in the day.
    Sometimes while I was fishing
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    276
    I am learning to fly fish at this point as well...just going out and trying to figure it out. I ride wateron all the time after work, but prefer hitting the loop than fishing...was curious if anyone know of great rides, with some off the beaten path creeks/streams...with some trout. No worries, I will explore...if anyone wants to fish let me know...BR

  15. #15
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,592
    Quote Originally Posted by BenR
    I am learning to fly fish at this point as well...just going out and trying to figure it out. I ride wateron all the time after work, but prefer hitting the loop than fishing...was curious if anyone know of great rides, with some off the beaten path creeks/streams...with some trout. No worries, I will explore...if anyone wants to fish let me know...BR
    As with any great ride... it'll ALWAYS be better than fishing... so you'll just ride it instead of stopping to fish.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,126
    Ben-I've been flyfishing for about 20 yrs, its a great way to relax and you really can catch fish. Some of the fly shops have free casting clinics on weekends, not sure which ones are by you but check the paper in the sports section for details. You could probably just call some and they would be glad to give you an intro lesson. You don't have to spend a bunch of money, try sportsman's warehouse or even sports authority for reasonable outfits. Waterton has some the best small trout (10-12") fishing in the state and it's a great place to learn. Consider going on Colorado fishing website for some great ideas on which flies to use, etc. and also to possibly hook up w/some of the guys down your way who would be glad to take you up and show you how to fish the river.

  17. #17
    trail waggler
    Reputation: daveM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,425

    Use to, might again...

    Sold my 'father's day St. Croix Imperial to pay some bills..

    There is some potential up here in N. Boulder County, fun descent, tough climb out...

    Fly is to fishing, as mountain is to biking....
    MY dog can lick YOUR dog!

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    270
    if up in the frasier area- head a bit further up by grand lake. between the two lakes is a section of the colorado that i have found to be awesome. you can ride back in there on a flat trail about a mile or so to get to seldom fished areas. riding is not good for mountain biking, but the fishing is awesome!

    also check out lair o the bear. bear creek has some decent little holes with lots of small fish.

    i enjoy the high country summer time fishing the best. after riding in the heat all morning, wetfishing/ standing/ wading/ swimming in the cold streams is a great reward! and catching a few trout is certainly rewarding!

  19. #19
    Bad Andy
    Reputation: andychrysler's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    877
    Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla
    That would be great - I'll take all the info I can get at this point.
    Talked to him today - PM sent.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    276
    Quote Originally Posted by brokefork
    Ben-I've been flyfishing for about 20 yrs, its a great way to relax and you really can catch fish. Some of the fly shops have free casting clinics on weekends, not sure which ones are by you but check the paper in the sports section for details. You could probably just call some and they would be glad to give you an intro lesson. You don't have to spend a bunch of money, try sportsman's warehouse or even sports authority for reasonable outfits. Waterton has some the best small trout (10-12") fishing in the state and it's a great place to learn. Consider going on Colorado fishing website for some great ideas on which flies to use, etc. and also to possibly hook up w/some of the guys down your way who would be glad to take you up and show you how to fish the river.

    Thanks for the help, I already have a bunch of the gear, I used to fish professionally for muskie in the midwest and east coast, so I have sold and traded some gear. I am looking forward to learning it, should be fun...I have read quite a bit on it and it has to be a bit simpler than is represented in the books I have browsed...either way looking forward to it, just need to force my self to get off the bike....thanks Ben

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Pau11y's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,664
    I learned how to cast on a pond. Remember, it's 11 & 1 and not 9 and 3 like you see n00bs on TV. Use the flex of the rod and wait till the line has finished it's travel to and fo before going the other way so you don't whip your line. That's it from my learning experience.
    I learned on some silly heavy stuff (7 wt), enough for Northerns, salmons, and monster trouts.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •