Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Any COS 29er riders have tire suggestions?

Riding my 29er on the Falcon Trail yesterday and am not liking my tires (Exiwolfs). Rear traction is good, but the front tire gets down right scary on loose stuff and tight turns. Anyone have any tire suggestions for local conditions?

Thanks

mtbr member
    I don't have a ton of experience with 29ers (29er noob) - but am running a Prowler up front. Have no complaints whatsoever. Grips very on the corners. Ignitor's are very popular but I haven't tried them yet.
    "Serves you right to suffer." -The Wife (after being 2 hours late)

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Maxxis Ignitor, Panaracer Rampage combo on the rigid ss works fantastic for most days. Changed to a set of 2.4 Racing Ralphs and those were pretty good too. Running Rampages on the WFO and havent' had any issues. All are being run tubeless and all have done pretty good in the Pikes Peak kitty litter.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Ardent 2.4 with the sidewall prot is what I run, ride AFA a lot and good traction up front

The DHF's are great for our trails but no 29er version yet

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Thanks for the tips everyone

mtbr member
    Another vote for the Maxxis Ignitor.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    I'm running 2.2" Kenda Nevgals and I think they're great. I haven't ridden something truely loose yet (i.e. Cap'n Jacks) but they have been really good at the AFA, Stratton and CMSP which are all pretty loose.

mtbr member
    I have run the Ignitors, works well and lasts long. Have had Kenda Small Block Eights, certainly not a great front tire, good on back, fairly narrow so small contact patch.
    This year I put on a Geax Saguro on front and a Hutchinson Python on the back and they are great.

Candlestick Maker
    I've tried several 29er tires and here is my order of perceived front end traction (most to least):

Stout
    Racing Ralph
    Geax Saguaro
    Fastrak
    Exiwolf

All have float to some extent in the loose stuff, just gotta learn to expect it and surf that crap. Or, I could watch this thread and get a better front tire. :-)
    baker

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I run Kenda Nevegals up front and Maxxis Ignitors in the back on both my 29ers. Since implementing this setup a couple years ago, I've had nothing but great results in any loose-type scenario. Had lots of traction probs with the Exiwolfs...

This place is wasteland
    I have found that running my pressure pretty low fixes most of my traction issues. Been running about 26psi on the front tire.

on my 3rd wind...
    Specialized Eskar, 2.2, 2Bliss on my 29er HT is working out well. No issue with wash out unless I am leaning really hard into off-camber corner. It has great compliant feel when riding over rooty and small rocky section too. Ridden my 29er over at AFA falcon few times this year and never had issue with cornering.

I am also fan of DHF but no 29er version yet.
    sth

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I don't know what it is, but I just don't like the Exiwolf as a front tire. As I mentioned earlier, no complaints as a rear tire, but the front Exiwolf just doesn't seem to track well in and out of the turns and has caught me off guard a couple of time. It got better running a lower PSI, but comparing it's tread pattern to the Ignitors and others makes me think it is better as a rear only tire. Thanks for all of the suggestions, going to try Ignitor or Rampage.

hehe ...you said "member"
    Quote Originally Posted by guacamole
    I have found that running my pressure pretty low fixes most of my traction issues. Been running about 26psi on the front tire.
    Second that.
    Don't have UST rims on my 29r, so run ghetto tubeless with Stan's rim strips.
    I find that lower pressure makes as much, if not more, difference than the specific tire when it comes to grip.
    That said, another vote for Ignitors here
    “Me fail english? Thats unpossible.” - Matt Groening

I'm with stupid
    I like to run that trail alot durining a year and the best tires i have run on it is the wtb weirwolf. I have tried many different tires and outside of a full on heavy DH tire the weirwolf is awsome for there. Have not tried the 2010 version yet but the older one rocks.

Grams Light Bikes
    Ardent 2.4, the only tire that also made it through many Pueblo sessions

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Sorry to be slow on the thread. Outta town - but can give some input here. Don't try Falcon sketchy on a 29er Geax Suarro. Or most trails. Price is good, they roll good, they have good volume, they will last a while, but that hard rubber is not grippy on the loose over hardpack that a lot of those corners are on. I would not use a Specialized LK on attempts to do fast laps on it either. Good light tire for medium speeds and endurance, but not hard cornering on Falcon. Use it for the 100K or Solo during the race, not your friend for a sub-hour attempt. Next 29er tire I'll try will be an Eskar - they are sweet on the 26ers at least - don't roll on pavement, but I think they roll better than many on the trail at the right pressures.

I'm trying some 29er WTB Nano's tubeless right now, but unable to roll them on a timed lap on Falcon for a while due to a back injury. They feel better than the same tire on a 26er, but I suspect they will get to sketchy trying to push them on the corners. My fastest laps on Falcon were when it was dry and sketchy, using two nearly new WTB 2.4 mutano's, with light tubes, running the lowest pressure I could without pinching them (27psi or so). They were 3 min faster than DAMP laps on 26er specialized LK and wtb nanoraptors, both run tubeless at 24psi.

fwiw,
    jon

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I agree with Guacamole. It's not just tread, but pressure. What are you running on the Exiwolf? I deal with this issue alot. People come in to the shop looking for new tires because their current set up isn't working. I grab the tire and and they are running upper 40s +. I'm not saying you are though. Just something to think about. I run 2.25 Ardents tubeless in the 26psi range on my 29er. They rock!!
    " 25 + years as a Type 1 Diabetic"
    TYPE1RIDER.org

Hairshirt Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoomie
    Riding my 29er on the Falcon Trail yesterday and am not liking my tires (Exiwolfs). Anyone have any tire suggestions for local conditions?
    Ghetto tubeless Rampage in the mid 20s psi works pretty good on that trail and I'm out there a couple of times a week. Noticeably better than the Ignitor (which I like) and the narrower Ardent (did not like).

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Sorry to bump this back to the top, but have run the Falcon Trail twice now since my last post (among others). I was running the Exiwolfs around 35 psi and have brought them down to 28-30. The are gripping better. Still feel like the Exiwolfs are just not cut out for the front. Doing great on the back though with no complaints. Probably going with the Rampage or Ardent.

Quick question. What is the benefit of the 2.4? The Exiwolfs are 2.3s, just wondering what the pros and cons are of going to 2.4.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    More questions on the 2.4 Ardents: Tubeless or tubed? Stan's Flow rims? Do the fit on a Niner RIP9?
    Anyone tried the Bontrager FR3, 29x2.35?
    Fixing bikes for a living in Montana

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I run Exiwolf's as a rear tire and love them but I definitely think they lack the aggressive side knobs needed for cornering. Personally I run Nevegals in front and have yet to be disappointed. This setup has worked great for me. The Nevegals work great on the corners and the Exiwolf's grip well in most conditions on climbs.

STRAVA!!!!!!
    Mar 2010

Meats

Ardents blow, seriously, forget about that tire! Specialized Captin control up front works great at 35 psi. Small block 8 in the rear, Nevagals are always a good pick but have more rolling resistance.

STRAVA!!!!!!
    Mar 2010
    Your two niner made up the three minutes... not thoes crapy tires and TUBES!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jnordby
    Sorry to be slow on the thread. Outta town - but can give some input here. Don't try Falcon sketchy on a 29er Geax Suarro. Or most trails. Price is good, they roll good, they have good volume, they will last a while, but that hard rubber is not grippy on the loose over hardpack that a lot of those corners are on. I would not use a Specialized LK on attempts to do fast laps on it either. Good light tire for medium speeds and endurance, but not hard cornering on Falcon. Use it for the 100K or Solo during the race, not your friend for a sub-hour attempt. Next 29er tire I'll try will be an Eskar - they are sweet on the 26ers at least - don't roll on pavement, but I think they roll better than many on the trail at the right pressures.

I'm trying some 29er WTB Nano's tubeless right now, but unable to roll them on a timed lap on Falcon for a while due to a back injury. They feel better than the same tire on a 26er, but I suspect they will get to sketchy trying to push them on the corners. My fastest laps on Falcon were when it was dry and sketchy, using two nearly new WTB 2.4 mutano's, with light tubes, running the lowest pressure I could without pinching them (27psi or so). They were 3 min faster than DAMP laps on 26er specialized LK and wtb nanoraptors, both run tubeless at 24psi.

fwiw,
    jon

I'm with stupid
    That trail when it gets damp slows down a ton. corners better but rolls worse, But we can say it's the 29er so that we fell like money well spent. Sauce not drank

Quote Originally Posted by Waafoo
    Your two niner made up the three minutes... not thoes crapy tires and TUBES!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast