mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Any bike resorts around ft. collins.

hey guys so I might be going to Colorado State University next year... and I haven't seen any bike resorts around. Here in Idaho the closest bike resort is 1.5 hrs away. Any near ft. Collins??

I ride mostly dh and freeride so...
    Quote Originally Posted by ilikemybike011
    You don't like a fork because it's popular? That's the most retarded reason I have ever heard of.

"Oldfart from Wayback"

I don't do lift riding

But from what I've gathered here, Keystone is awesome. From Ft. Collins is 2 hrs if you don't hit any traffic.

But what do you "need" resorts for with all the perfect Front Range riding available a pedal away from CSU. Ride west a couple of miles, climb as you can, push if you have to, and then enjoy perfect, 'natural' downhills.

Thread Terrorist
    Fort Collins is a biking resort.

That said, if you're looking for lift accessable riding, you'll have to wait until summer, and drive into Summit county.

OMG!
    check out the thread called "shuttling maxwell"

2 hours to summit? you must mean by personal airplane. it's at least 3 to frisco if you don't hit traffic (and drive fast as ****). add 20 or so to keystone.

sol vista is about 1.5hours if you go through rmnp

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by adjunkie

2 hours to summit? you must mean by personal airplane. it's at least 3 to frisco if you don't hit traffic (and drive fast as ****). add 20 or so to keystone.
    Huh??????

It's 154 miles from my place in Loveland to my place in Eagle-Vail. If traffic is moving, I do it in 2:15. I've gotten to Frisco & Keystone lots of times in under 2 hrs.

This, of course, does not include the ever-unpredictable traffic factor.

Shuttling Maxwell....funny stuff

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Do you take a covered wagon?

what nice teeth you have
    I am saying it will take you 2:30 to get to keystone. and thats mainly b/c it takes me 20 mintutes just to get out of fort collins and onto the interstate. Get on the email listserve for these guys You don't have to pay anything to get on it. Send them an email for people to carpool with to keystone in the summer and for people to ride with. And consider getting a good trial bike. Depending on how mild the winter is you can ride almost year round. We also have some dirt jumps and a pump track at Lory state park (15 minutes away) and a BMX track in town, if you are into that.

Edit: you also have to watch out for the going home traffic, OUT of the mountains on sunday afternoon/evening. Eastbound I-70 is a parking lot. Doesn't matter if its summer or winter.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Don't forget about this

friend of Apex
    Ummm, I guess, never went that way to get to WP/Silvercreek...Usually that rd is slow, and add $15 NP fee
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Never over 2 hours to get to Keystone unless there's a traffic jam or you drive like a grandma. Be sure to go over Loveland pass instead of through Silverthorn. Do that in winter too! If that road is open it's always in great shape cuz of all the haz-mat traffic on it.

I've never had a problem coming out of the mountains in summer. Just Sunday afternoons on boarding days...

Pointless rant: Am I the only one not that impressed with the skills park up here in the Fort? I mean, it's fun to ride but not big enough or interesting enough to make it a destination. It is really cool that the city did this, and I wouldn't expect them to do anything crazier, but it's like 2 feet off the ground. Not some sort of holy grail.

what nice teeth you have

Drive thru RMNP for free.

Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR
    Ummm, I guess, never went that way to get to WP/Silvercreek...Usually that rd is slow, and add $15 NP fee
    It is a slow drive. Mileage wise its very short. There is some crazy weather at the top of Trail Ridge Road.
    You can get out of the fee a couple of ways.
    1) Buy the annual pass. $35 for RMNP
    2) The all National parks pass for $80.
    2) Ask for the tri-county waiver. RMNP lets residents of larimer (fort collins residents), Grand, and ?? counties drive through the park for free, so long as you are not there to use the park, and are only driving through. You need to have a Colorado Driver's license with the address up to date and the address has to be in one of the three counties to use the waiver. It helps if you have the vehicle loaded with bikes. They will know your probably headed to winter park cause you can't ride in RNMP.

what nice teeth you have
    Quote Originally Posted by andykrow
    Pointless rant: Am I the only one not that impressed with the skills park up here in the Fort? I mean, it's fun to ride but not big enough or interesting enough to make it a destination. It is really cool that the city did this, and I wouldn't expect them to do anything crazier, but it's like 2 feet off the ground. Not some sort of holy grail.
    I am impressed. I still find it hard to believe the city actually built that. It just strikes me as very progressive in a semi- conservative state(CO).

Edit: I also think it shows that the local government listened to their consituents when they decided to build the park. Bravo to the City.

..ouch

It's certainly not a north shore park, but huge kudos to the city for even giving this a shot. You really can't knock it until you toss up a couple pics of you hucking the taller trunk on the SE side or wheely dropping off the arch. I think it's nice for honing your tech/trials skills during winter, especially if you get creative. I wish Boulder could think a little outside the box like this.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by thump
    I wish Boulder could think a little outside the box like this.
    Sometimes, wishes just might come true:

http://www.boa-mtb.org/news/Valmont%20Park.php

A semi-permanent cross course, how cool is that?
    Last edited by splitter_66; 11-14-2007 at 06:41 AM.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by nadinno78
    I am impressed. I still find it hard to believe the city actually built that. It just strikes me as very progressive in a semi- conservative state(CO).
    I think it's pretty cool - utilizing trees that would have just gone to the chipper and making a fun spot. I admit my skills suck there, but it is fun and will be fun when my son and I can ride our bikes there from our house (1 mile), have a picnic, hook up with Momma and sis, then ride back home. After living on the east coast 20 years of my life, I know how fortunate I am to be here and have all this so close.

That said, I heard a rumor that the city has purchased a bunch of land in the CSU Equine/CDC area butting up to the foothills. I heard more trails were going to be built there...any truth to this rumor?
    Niner Bikes employee. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Niner-...3652275?ref=ts
    Front Range Forum Moderator

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by 2melow
    That said, I heard a rumor that the city has purchased a bunch of land in the CSU Equine/CDC area butting up to the foothills. I heard more trails were going to be built there...any truth to this rumor?
    Don't know about more trails, but the land deal looks to be on track. This story was in the paper a while back, and is on the CSU website:

Excerpt:

October 18, 2007

Colorado State University and the City of Fort Collins have entered into contracts to exchange land, providing the university with an opportunity to create a prime research center close to I-25 and the city an opportunity to expand a premier foothills natural area.

Parcel at southwest corner of Prospect Road and I-25

The transaction will provide CSU a 143-acre parcel at the southwest corner of Prospect Road and I-25. In exchange, the City's Natural Areas Program will obtain 267 acres at the northern end of the Foothills Campus, which expands the Reservoir Ridge Natural Area.

The deal is scheduled to close on Nov. 20, 2007.

Whole story can be found here: http://today.colostate.edu/index.asp...ory_id=1003072

..ouch
    Quote Originally Posted by splitter_66
    Sometimes, wishes just might come true:

http://www.boa-mtb.org/news/Valmont%20Park.php
    Yep.. I'm hoping for "option 1". It'll be interesting to see how "north shore" they'll be willing to go with this.

Thread Terrorist
    We checked it out last Sunday. It seemed either easy, or really hard. Regardless, it is a balance track and less of anything else. There seemed to be a ton of kids (I mean under 6). Parents pushing them to ride all the bridges... of course, they'd crash, and cry...

I have mixed feelings. There could have bee so much more with trials based stuff.

I'll have a video posted of it soon.

IE