Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Another "Where Do I Ride" thread

1K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  sleestak 
#1 ·
I have been commuting up to Broomfield (from the springs) for work lately and decided to take advantage of the fact that I am up here and sample some of the local trail. The other day I did a quick lap around Flatirons Vista for lunch the other day - nothing spectacular, but when I got to the backside, I noticed a few trails branching off from there.

So on my way home to the Springs, I am going to take the "back way" down to Golden > 470 > I-25.

Options I am currently considering:
  • Mathew Winters >> Dakota Ridge
  • Mt. Falcon
  • White Ranch

These are just based on what I have read online ... I have never ridden any of these places. My usual spots in the springs are Palmer Park, The Chutes, Buckhorn, Falcon Trail, Red Rock >> Section 16, etc.

So basically, anything that will be 10 miles or such - techy is good. Cast your vote, let me know of any changes to the areas listed above, or tell me I am dumb and point me somewhere else.

See less See more
#4 ·
^^ Lol, I luckily only do it a few times a week. I have a 6mo old at home and my riding is down to about 3 times a week. Figured that while I am up here I might as well sample some trail up this way. Besides, I just installed a low-normal derailleur and I am dying to give it a go.

Thursdays will most likely be my day to do so, but perhaps another day in the week here and there as well.

So one vote for Dakota ...

#6 ·
you can't go wrong at any of those...each offering their own type of ride.
MW-DR is a fun loop but the most tech out of all of them (especially on top of the ridge) but it's fun to park at the lot with the footbridge to green mtn and start up zorro first.

Falcon is a beast of a climb (not so techy) and lots of really cool stuff up top to explore (if you've got the energy after the climb). But you could link to Lair o Bear if you want to loop back down to Morrison via 74. I call it Falcon-Bear-Beer since a frosty one at Morrison Inn is always a good time.

WR has a big climb (wider like a road) and then lots of different loops up top (mustang is a lot of fun) as is Short and Long horn. Just do all of them and then you can answer your own thread

#8 ·
I thought about 2 of those 3 for my after work ride today as well. But I'm going to Deer Creek, a steep climb but the top loops are fun and its a great descent.

Of those I'd probably go with DK/MW. I love Dakota Ridge, ride it north to south. Mt Falcon isn't as bad a climb as everyone says, but it is 1,400 vert in one shot so its not exactly easy either. And White Ranch will have less people.

#11 ·
Ithnu said:
I thought about 2 of those 3 for my after work ride today as well. But I'm going to Deer Creek, a steep climb but the top loops are fun and its a great descent.
I was reading and debating on that one as well and I remember seeing video of people trying to clean the wall ... there was a lot of fail.

Ithnu said:
Mt Falcon isn't as bad a climb as everyone says, but it is 1,400 vert in one shot so its not exactly easy either.
Sounds a bit like the Falcon trail on the AFA, and I'm ok with that. Just didn't sound very tech.

Hmmm ... decisions, decisions.

#12 ·
Do you want a long climb (Falcon) or tech (Dakota Ridge)?

I'm nothing special going up, that wall section at Deer Creek has always been walked by me. Its also close to my work so that's really the main reason I'm heading there.

Otherwise I'd suggest Dakota. The cool thing is if you park between there and GM you can always do a short loop on Green Mountain if you feel the need for more riding.

#13 ·
If I were to do Mathew Winters & Dakota, which is the best way to go? I was thinking of going MW >> Red Rocks >> Dakota ... or is it better the other way?

White Ranch is running a tight second right now and no crowd sounds good. Just hoping I remember all the instructions on looping it because it sounds like going the wrong way on some of these trails could kinda suck.

#15 ·
sleestak said:
If I were to do Mathew Winters & Dakota, which is the best way to go? I was thinking of going MW >> Red Rocks >> Dakota ... or is it better the other way?

White Ranch is running a tight second right now and no crowd sounds good. Just hoping I remember all the instructions on looping it because it sounds like going the wrong way on some of these trails could kinda suck.
I'd personally park down at the Red Rocks #3 entrance and ride UP through Red Rocks, MW, then finish with Dakota Ridge & DH to the car. Or as someone else suggested - start at the Rooney Road Green Mountain lot and head up Zorro to start, left on Dakota -> RR -> MW -> finish with the first section of Dakota -> Zorro DH to the car.

#16 ·
Go to White Ranch and try:
UP: Belcher -> Longhorn -> Shorthorn -> Longhorn -> Top Lot
DOWN: Top Lot -> Sawmill -> Belcher -> Maverick -> Longhorn (all the way down) -> Whippletree -> Belcher

MW/Dakota Ridge is sweet too. Do clockwise to emphasize the tech downhill and counterclockwise to emphasis the tech climbing. Start at north lot by hwy. If going clockwise cross the HWY & go up Dakota Ridge, if counter start on the MW trail and go across some bridge). On the MW side, ride the trail that goes to the top, not the one that traverses the east side of the mountain (I think Red Rocks is the shortcut one).

#19 · (Edited)
Awesome ride yesterday! Thanks to all who pitched in with some info. As recommended, I pedaled the route up Zorro and up the stairs. Then left at dakota and up the stairs (which were freshly drizzled on/slick). Ran into some guys hiking who I spoke to briefly and they joked about picking me up later. There was a light rain, but the rocks were fresh and dry.

There were parts of Dakota that I admittedly un-clipped and was ready to bail, lol. I ended up going over the bars once, slow-motion style, and came out unscathed other than the shifter that left a knot on my knee. I can see how it would get a bit easy with repetition and learning the lines...some aren't so clear and felt a bit random.

That last climb up the jeep hill and back to zorro was the icing on the cake, though. You climb a fair amount going that route and that steep blast will certainly get those legs burning. My phone tells me some 1500ft ascending over the course of the ride, but I take that as a rough guestimate. I will def head back after I hit a few others on the list, but what a way to open up my "tour" of the trails in this neck of the woods! Thanks

Here's my data from my phone: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...432,-105.19671&spn=0.031301,0.041628&t=h&z=15

click the last link on the left to see the details
damn I'm slow, but I did take a phone call mid-ride (wife / don't even)

#20 ·
1. You missed Morisson Slide...:nono:
- - - next time.
2. Did you clean the stairs of Zorro (down)? (I am assuming you didn't ride up them?!)
3. What time were you heading out of the lot for your ride? I was there with the fam. about 5:15 for some trailwork on GM.

#21 ·
1. Yes, I missed it. I didn't even notice it until I hit the other end and I probably would have preferred it due to traffic.

2. I made it, but I wouldn't call it "clean" since I dabbed. I halved some teeth on my big ring in the process and I have to say that I didn't just go barreling down them, it took some debate. There is one section I almost bit it on those stairs and it's due to the spacing and pace of your decent. Tried to go up but only got to the third step before I realized it was fruitless.

3. Good question, probably 5:20'ish?! ... I had just hit the trail when it started to drizzle a bit. Then it cleared up nicely. Probably passed through

#22 ·
You weren't the guy in the blue subi having a safety meeting were ya?
If so, sorry - looked like I "surprised" you!
Let us know how the rest of your rides go.
Keep an eye on the TITS threads too - usually on Thursdays, and some of the guys are.....OK - I guess.

:lol:

#23 ·
LOL, no sir that certainly was not me. I was in a black Forester XT - old-trusty FSR. I did manage to change in the lot afterwords though ... what can I say, I still have that surfing mentality of just changing right there in the open, lol.

Had I been invited to said safety meeting, I would certainly have attended though. You can never be too safe, ya know!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.