Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Yappy little dog!

Another new way to deal with equestrians

Government Legalizes Horse Slaughter for Human Consumption

Author: madeline bernstein
    Published: November 28, 2011 at 2:52 pm

Horse slaughter plants are legal again in the United States. Restrictions on horse meat processing for human consumption have been lifted.

In a bipartisan effort, the House of Representatives and the United States Senate approved the Conference Committee report on spending bill H2112, which among other things, funds the United States Department of Agriculture. On November 18th, as the country was celebrating Thanksgiving, President Obama signed a law, allowing Americans to kill and eat horses. Essentially, one turkey was pardoned in the presence of worldwide media while in the shadows, buried under pages of fiscal regulation, millions of horses were sentenced to death.

Horse slaughter has been prohibited in the United States as funding for inspections of horses in transit and at slaughter houses was non-existent. This worked because the horse meat cannot be sold for human consumption without such inspections. The House version of the bill retained the de-funding language and the Senate version did not. The conference committee charged with reconciling the two opted to not include it. The result is that it is now legal to slaughter horses for humans to eat.

Notwithstanding that 70% of Americans oppose horse slaughter, that President Obama made a campaign promise to permanently ban horse slaughter and exports of horses for human consumption (horses can be sent to Mexico and Canada), that documentation of animal cruelty, slaughterhouse stench, fluid runoff and negative community impact exists, it is taxpayers that will bear the costs!

Wyoming state representative Sue Wallis and her pro-slaughter group estimate that between 120,000 and 200,000 horses will be killed for human consumption per year and that Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, Nebraska, North Dakota, Georgia and Missouri, are considering opening slaughter plants.

During these trying times, is the only thing that Democrats and Republicans can agree on is that Americans need to eat horses?

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    I never would have guessed Argentina as a major horse meat producer since the beef is soooo good down there(best steak I ever had) but look at Mexico at #2.

Anyone want to bet those are US horses taken across the border b/c we had no processing plants here domestically?

It's sweeter than beef like venison so they say.

Country Animals Production in metric tons
    Major Horse meat Production Countries, 2005[25][dated info]
    China 1,700,000 204,000
    Mexico 626,000 78,876
    Kazakhstan 340,000 55,100
    Mongolia 310,000 38,000
    Argentina 255,000 55,600
    Italy 213,000 48,000
    Brazil 162,000 21,200
    Kyrgyzstan 150,000 25,000
    Worldwide
    Totals
    4,727,829 720,168

..ouch
    I've wondered how horse meat would taste every time I have to pay the feedstore bill for my daughter's pony.. hmmmm.

mtbr member
    So... what are you saying Schnauzers? Will I be seeing you on the trail like this at a bike/equestrian encounter?

Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    So... what are you saying Schnauzers? Will I be seeing you on the trail like this at a bike/equestrian encounter?

That's funny. Just the thought of eating horse meat makes me gag. I suppose if someone slipped it by and said it was lamb, I probably couldn't tell.

Rigid in Evergreen
    This story sounds like a plant by the Adopt an Unwanted Pony Foundation.

mtbr member
    Pretty sad in my opinion that we pay elected officials to waste time on crap like this.
    Last edited by 2wheelsnotfour; 11-30-2011 at 06:08 PM.

will hike for trail
    Apr 2006

Yum

Horse tastes good!

Rigid in Evergreen
    Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsnotfour View Post
    Pretty sad in my opinion that we pay elected officials to was time on crap like this.
    To be fair, this was just a tiny little part of a $125.5B annual appropriations bill.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by hackmonkey View Post
    Horse tastes good!
    Agreed. I have only had it in Europe, for obvious reasons. But a horse steak in a nice garlic sauce with a Belgian Ale. Tasty.

Hopefully dog food is next.

Chronic 1st-timer

Coming soon to the frozen aisle of your local supermarket.
    Les grimpées, je m'en fou!

Your bike is incorrigible
    Generally, I just pick the oats out of the horse droppings and eat those. Spare the horses and recycle at the same time is my motto.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guyechka View Post
    Generally, I just pick the oats out of the horse droppings and eat those. Spare the horses and recycle at the same time is my motto.
    I refer to really hawt weemon as "peanuts" under the same premise, but at least wee bee the same species
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

I refer to really hawt weemon as "peanuts" under the same premise, but at least wee bee the same species
    Hey, the people in the Nazi death camps did it, so I figure it's good enough for me. Plus, it gets rid of any invasive plant species that might have sneaked into the horsey food.

mtbr member
    Hey, the people in the Nazi death camps did it, so I figure it's good enough for me. Plus, it gets rid of any invasive plant species that might have sneaked into the horsey food.
    Man, you invoked the Nazis card pretty quick! This would be an discussion ender, except...
    The only flaws, you're not endangered of being melted and you also have grocery stores...even if they'll start having Seabiscuit (sp?) steaks in the butcher display.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Uh, yeah... Let' me point out an important distinction here. Jews are human beings, like you and me. Horses are livestock, like cows pigs goats sheep birds and deer elk antelope that we already harvest by the million.

WTF? I was raised in a religion effing pretty close to Jew.

Quote Originally Posted by anomad View Post
    Uh, yeah... Let' me point out an important distinction here. Jews are human beings, like you and me. Horses are livestock, like cows pigs goats sheep birds and deer elk antelope that we already harvest by the million.

WTF? I was raised in a religion effing pretty close to Jew.
    Hello, I AM Jewish.

Let me explain. I'm vegetarian. I like the horses, don't mind them on trails. I think it's just as absurd to resort to eating their droppings as eating them. That's my attempt at sarcasm that obviously did not come across. In other words, I'd rather eat the recycled oats than the horse.

Now it's time to bash vegetarians... I've opened two cans of worms.

mtbr member
    Being a vegetarian for health reason is different than being vegetarian for political reasons. Also, a vegetarian diet is not one of necessity, rather one of choice.

I'd say this might go a long way to eliminating the feral horse and burro populations that are destroying natural places in the West.

Quote Originally Posted by rogbie View Post
    I'd say this might go a long way to eliminating the feral horse and burro populations that are destroying natural places in the West.
    Ah, but the burro population in Red Rocks, Nevada is protected. No eating them. Also, the wild horse population on top of Grand Mesa outside of Grand Junction is protected. The only way you're going to get to eat a horse is if you choose to eat Susie the quarter horse who stepped in a prairie dog hole and went lame.

mtbr member
    The feral horses/burros should be eliminated. They cause more harm than their history and heritage make up for. Not to mention the cost for managing the feral horse/burro population is far greater than the amount spent on protecting the endangered species whose habitat the feral animals destroy.

The BLM may as well make a profit off these destructive animals, since they cost hundreds of thousands of dollars a year to manage.

Currently the West is 12,000 animals over its manageable limit. If deer/elk populations were that far over their limits extra hunting licenses would be issued to bring it down, why not the horses as well?

Quote Originally Posted by rogbie View Post
    The feral horses/burros should be eliminated. They cause more harm than their history and heritage make up for. Not to mention the cost for managing the feral horse/burro population is far greater than the amount spent on protecting the endangered species whose habitat the feral animals destroy.

The BLM may as well make a profit off these destructive animals, since they cost hundreds of thousands of dollars a year to manage.

Currently the West is 12,000 animals over its manageable limit. If deer/elk populations were that far over their limits extra hunting licenses would be issued to bring it down, why not the horses as well?
    It's the same damned reason I get in trouble pestering the prairie dogs: people think they're cute. Well, you take a big animal like a horse or burro that people can romanticize about being "wild", and you've got a problem convincing those people that the animals have overpopulated or are causing a lot of destruction. Deer and elk are ubiquitous in the west; therefore, killing a few thousand is not going to make a difference. We'll still see them. But most people believe that horses and burros are limited in number and are in isolated locations (read "far from people"), so they are not causing any problem. Out of sight, out of mind. You don't get many people complaining that the wild horses are eating the bark off their trees and killing them. Put another way, the statistics don't impress unless there is constant, visible evidence.

Ka-coo-ka-cha!
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live. ~Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

www.yeticycles.com

mtbr member
    So, why is it we here in this nation can become so incensed w/ eating horses and/or dogs and not give a flying phvck about cows, while Hindus get so bent out of shape about cows?

I say, do as my culture does (Chinese)...if it has a circulatory system, it has been in a wok and then a dinner plate at some point in history.

╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    So, why is it we here in this nation can become so incensed w/ eating horses and/or dogs and not give a flying phvck about cows, while Hindus get so bent out of shape about cows?

I say, do as my culture does (Chinese)...if it has a circulatory system, it has been in a wok and then a dinner plate at some point in history.

mtbr member

conspiracy?

Allowing horses to be slaughtered in the US for human consumption may be a sneaky way to Eventually add Horses to the Endangered Species List and prohibit the killing of horses and end development/exploration on gazillions of acres of public land where said horses roam.

...Naw - I'm sure allowing horses to be slaughtered for human consumptions is all about creating Jobs. Yeah, that's the ticket. Forget about what I wrote above - go Occupy a Horse.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast