Big Boned

Another false alarm?

Well, here's your advance storm fizzle report, live from the high country.

So far, nothing but freezing rain. My deck is all fun and slippery, but there hasn't been any actual snow just yet.

It's cold. It's foggy. But I'm betting this "big storm" is going to be vanish like a fart in the wind. I hope so, cuz I'm not prepared to mothball the bikes just yet.

Either way, I had fun riding Centennial Cone on my KM today with cyclocross tires (tubeless!). Out and back to the overlook from the south lot in 1:50. Not bad.
    Never rub another man's rhubarb.

The Dog.
    Quote Originally Posted by Manmountain Dense
    KM today with cyclocross tires (tubeless!).
    Whoa! Backup. More info needed. Rims, tires, success rate.

Big Boned
    First off, spoke too soon, it's snowing now. Lightly.

I'm running Stan's ZTR Arch rims with a set of IRD CrossFire wire-bead tires, two scoops of goop in each, and they're working really well so far. I had less success with a previous attempt with a pair of Michelin Muds, but that was because the tires were old and they had some pre-existing holes that the sealant couldn't fix.

The CrossFire's are nice because 1) they're wire bead so I can take the pressure up around 60 without worries, and 2) they're basically a scaled-down version of the Panaracer Fire tread, which I like a lot in the 2.4 FR version.

The first time I took these tires onto a trail, though, I did put a hole in the sidewall that I had to patch internally. It was a really nasty trail with lots of sharp rocks, and the hole was small, but the higher pressure of the CX tire prevented the sealant from stopping the bleeding. Once it got down around 30 PSI, it sealed, but was really mushy.

But today, they rode great. CC is the perfect trail for CX tires, smooth and packed. If any issues do arise with the beads or sidewalls, I'm planning to score a pair of the new Hutchinson tubeless-ready CX tires, once they're available.

http://www.bikemannetwork.com/biking/p/COMPTRCR/TR2439

Mainly, I went with this set-up for fire road riding and grocery runs (rigid fork, disc brakes, B.O.B., 1x8 gearing with a 30 x 12/32), and apart from the one sidewall issue on a particularly rocky trail, no sweat. Bottom line -- good for trails without many sharp rocks, not so great if there are any rocks that could damage the sidewall.

--EDIT-- I should add that other riders would probably be able to run much lower pressure and eliminate any issues with the sealant not working on small holes. I'm 220 lbs, so I have to run a higher pressure. I would guess that a 150 lb rider could run 45 psi and never have a problem... /EDIT

TEAM TOPEAK - ERGON
    Quote Originally Posted by Manmountain Dense
    So far, nothing but freezing rain. My deck is all fun and slippery, but there hasn't been any actual snow just yet.
    Got some snow in FoCo. Just a hair under 4 inches. Pictures is from 7 AM on Wednesday.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feeding your addiction
    Quote Originally Posted by KERKOVEJ
    Got some snow in FoCo. Just a hair under 4 inches. Pictures is from 7 AM on Wednesday.
    Yep. Looks like a Pugsley ride is in order today

Larry
    Mountain High Cyclery
    larry@mtnhighcyclery.com
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by KERKOVEJ
    5 inches on the west side of Ft Collins as of 7:00am

Stand back
    Probably 2-3" so far in Golden, but it's coming down pretty good right now. I'm guessing a cx bike probly kills it in <6" of new fluffy snow. Maybe that's my next new rig...
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

VooDoo user.
    4" of snow and still commin down in NED.

Big Boned
    Yeah, I jinxed it. I'm at Loveland right now, 3 inches of fresh on 18 inches of ice. Should be interesting. Or not!

Thread Terrorist
    There's always Pueblo

skillz to pay billz
    Magnolia was all plowed by 7am but that didn't stop people from running into the ditch in two spots.

I guess it's true, 4wd isn't 4 wheel stop. Love my studded tires on the 2wd
    Last edited by nOOby; 11-21-2007 at 08:58 AM.

Golden this a.m.

Ed

mtbr member

Covered in Longmont

3-4" in Longmont.... BAH!