Another DARPA project

Perpetually single track

BigDog Parody - Watch more free videos

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ibmkidIII
    HAHAHA... I LOVE IT!

Rolling
    Why not a pack mule?

This reminds me of when the US space program spent millions to develop a pen that worked in space.

The Russians (Soviets) just used a pencil.

That said, I really like the stuff that DARPA funds...really cutting edge stuff actually.

Stiff yet compliant
    A pack mule is not expensive enough.
    My wife has worked on some Darpa projects and they do come up with some cool stuff.
    On the other hand you would be amazed at how much of your tax dollars are spent so tech geeks can play around inventing cool new technology, most of which never gets put to use.

Thread Terrorist
    my black lab is faster.

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by Moustache rider
    On the other hand you would be amazed at how much of your tax dollars are spent so tech geeks can play around inventing cool new technology, most of which never gets put to use.
    Bummer! .........

...have been amazed, I am amazed and will still be amazed.

.....I have no idea what you are talking about except that very little of the government budgets are really spent on research--of any kind relative to war and social programs.

Jackass
    OMG. that things f-ing scary. It sounds jut like The Fly.[SIZE="1"]Help meeeeee........[/SIZE]
    I'm making enemies faster than I can kill them!

MTB B'dos

Good job! Absolutely Fantastic

Personally I know it must have cost loads, but I think it's a very big advance in robotics which has tricle down effects to help loads of industries and people even. I think it's fantastic that they have the logic worked out so advanced that it can recover from slipping on ice or being side swipped etc. just imagine what this could mean for amputees or people with disabilities.

As to why not a pack mule? Well loads of reasons.............
    1 - could be a hazardous environment where a living animal might not be able to survive or have difficulty without having a re-breather/respirator.
    2 - could be used in remote location where the only way in is via a parachute and a mule wouldn't take to kindly to being rigged up to a parachute and probably would break it's legs on landing.
    3 - used where a mule/animal would not survive due to extreems in temperature.

Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    Why not a pack mule?

This reminds me of when the US space program spent millions to develop a pen that worked in space.

That said, I really like the stuff that DARPA funds...really cutting edge stuff actually.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    Personally I know it must have cost loads, but I think it's a very big advance in robotics which has tricle down effects to help loads of industries and people even. I think it's fantastic that they have the logic worked out so advanced that it can recover from slipping on ice or being side swipped etc. just imagine what this could mean for amputees or people with disabilities.

As to why not a pack mule? Well loads of reasons.............
    1 - could be a hazardous environment where a living animal might not be able to survive or have difficulty without having a re-breather/respirator.
    2 - could be used in remote location where the only way in is via a parachute and a mule wouldn't take to kindly to being rigged up to a parachute and probably would break it's legs on landing.
    3 - used where a mule/animal would not survive due to extreems in temperature.
    I think another avenue not covered by your points is off world exploration...look at the twin Mars rovers (Spirit and ...?). Anyway, I was FLOORED at it's ability to recover from ice and kicked! The logic/AI is pretty impressive indeed!
    A while ago, I also saw an artificial muscle that flexed/contracted when flushed w/ some sort of fluid... If this technology was utilized, we can potentially see robots that resemble critters that we're accustomed to...reads: a more natural prosthesis.

My leg feels funny

No matter how many times I hear that it still cracks me up. Just another example as to why to always use the KISS method.

Although I find the current application to be useless and inferior to a donkey in most situations I do think its a great proof of concept and exciting to see how far we've moved in the field of robotics.

Now lets see if I still think that when I'm running for my life from one 10 years from now. (save me John Conner!)

Rolling
    I found this to me a more interesting DARPA thing.

It's not just about military contracts, it's about collaboration, competition and plain old nerd fun.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/darpa/program.html

I almost went to grad school studying robotics but the robotics controls class I signed up for in my senior year in college was full....I wound up taking a laser physics class instead.

Bummer....

mtbr member
    I found this to me a more interesting DARPA thing.

It's not just about military contracts, it's about collaboration, competition and plain old nerd fun.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/darpa/program.html
    The Grand Challenge is still a DARPA event... The urban one/concept is SICK!

friend of Apex
    Pffffffffffffft
    JeffCo would probably require a leash.

All I need is the liddle lady...

Last edited by WKD-RDR; 08-09-2008 at 12:00 PM.
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs