Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!

Amoeba Review (X-post from DIY Lights)

I had Scar build me a set of custom lights a few weeks ago, and I wanted to put a review. I saw a custom light that he made for a guy in Brazil with two floods and two spots which got me thinking a little--It would be extra cool if you could control both light patterns independently. I also had a 4,000mah 7.4v battery laying around that would be perfect to power it. I discussed my ideas with Scar and here are the results:

2x XR-E WC spots in the center, 2x SSC P4 U2SWOH floods on the outsides
    Independently controlled
    Being driven at 800ma with 2 drivers
    3.00" L x 1.38"W x .75" H

I also had Jay build a two flood Amoeba for me to use as a helmet mount.

Here are some beam shots I took on a downhill portion of trail. The first picture is the flood beam only.

Here is the spot only.

Here are both of them lit up together.

This shot is both of the bar patterns plus my helmet light. Riding with this much light has been a very eye opening experience!

My goal was to be able to ride technical trails with this setup, and it has worked very well on trails that I would never have dreamed of riding at night only a few years ago. I've done some slow speed technical trails with the bar mount angled down slightly and felt surprisingly comfortable. I'm very happy with the flood pattern on my helmet on the slow speed stuff. I've also done some more high speed technical with the bar mount pointed up just a little bit and I love the setup. I don't feel like I'm riding faster than my headlights, but maybe I'm not riding fast enough

Scar really hit it out of the park on this light! Going above and beyond, he even put a TrailTech connector on the battery I sent him and then dipped it so it's element proof. I would highly recommend an Amoeba if you're looking for an amazing light that you don't have the time or apptitude to build yourself!

Go ride!!!
    scar is the man! and he builds some cool a$$ $hit!!!!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member

good stuff

he's got the good alright...
    -
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.

Your retarded
    I don't typically like to jump on the product praising bandwagon, but in Scar's and Amoeba's case, I can't resist. Above par company/dude and product. I only have very positive things to say about my flood & spot on bars & helmet setup. I even had a small issue with my charger after purchase and it was resolved instantly and hassle free. There aren't many small bike component companies in world that produce an amazing product in the US and have great service to back it up, but Amoeba is one of them. Buy his lights if you don't believe me.
    A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

old skool newbie

made in colorado

Sure, they are made here in CO - but by little people deep in an underground lair in a secret location high in the rocky mountains. Sort of a cross between Willy Wonka and Dr. No.

magical lights
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Amoeba Review (X-post from DIY Lights)-capitalism_child_labor5-500.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

old skool newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy
    Sure, they are made here in CO - but by little people deep in an underground lair in a secret location high in the rocky mountains. Sort of a cross between Willy Wonka and Dr. No.

magical lights
    Sorry for the alleged mis-information. Amoeba lights may not be made in a secret location by little people. Those photos and the 60 Minutes investigation don't prove anything.