bacon! bacon! bacon!

American Hiking Society doesn't want to share trails...

Total FB backfire: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...&type=1&ref=nf

Long story short - AHS doesn't want bikes to be allowed on any trails that they are currently not allowed on. It blew up in their faces.

I sent the AHS a love-note expressing my opinion on the matter: Contact Us | American Hiking SocietyAmerican Hiking Society

You should too.

ridin dirtay
    Oh my, what fun.

https://www.facebook.com/AmericanHiking

American Hiking Society Phone Number (Toll Free): 1-800-972-8608

the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

mtbr member
    That's working out great for them. I've already emailed them, thanking them for their support of IMBA. I need to call them tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    From the "be careful what you wish for" files. Imagine that.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Some pure gold in there

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Ok, photoshoppers....can anyone do a chop of their 'boot' logo with HATE over the tread instead of HIKE?

We could go so viral with that.
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Wow, that actually gives me hope...
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Total FB backfire: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...&type=1&ref=nf

Long story short - AHS doesn't want bikes to be allowed on any trails that they are currently not allowed on. It blew up in their faces.

I sent the AHS a love-note expressing my opinion on the matter: Contact Us | American Hiking SocietyAmerican Hiking Society

You should too.
    I've got $1 that says they get what they want.

Let me put 2 + 2 together for everyone.

The AHS sponsors/organizes National Trails Day... which in turn is sponsored by:
    The North Face -
    Merrell -
    Medical Adventure Kits -
    Columbia -
    Gregory -
    Gerber -
    REI -
    YMCA -
    American Park Network -
    Backpacker Magazine -
    Boy Scouts of America -
    United States Forest Service -
    Federal Highway Administration -
    National Park Service -
    Bureau of Land Management -
    US Fish & Wildlife Service -

The AHS is just a lobbying body for its' member corporations.

Note the beltway locations(VA,MD) for the AHS BOD: Board of Directors | American Hiking SocietyAmerican Hiking Society and if you look at their Linkedin profiles you will see that some are registered lobbyist in MD and VA.

The former CEO of REI, Sally Jewell, is now head of several of the Federal agencies listed above, and one might assume that the AHS has a good friend in high places to pursue its' anti-MTB agenda...

...or more correctly assume that the Department of Interior now has someone with corporate and special interest ties, in addition to personal beliefs, who will carry out a far-left leaning environmentalist agenda... i.e. the AHS is doing what elitist Progressives in the Obama Administration want it to do using the DOI and Sally Jewell.

These elitists want to create their private Utopias on public lands and they will use groups like the AHS as front groups to whip up public support to do so. Just like Obama did in his elections.

It's back asswards as to how a representative government is supposed to work and it's all right there in front of you to see. Posting Luv letters on FB will get you nowhere with these people.

And yeah you under 30 kids probably think I'm nuts, just like I thought my poly-sci prof was nuts when I was in college in D.C. in the late 80's and he told us that shortly after 2000 we would have the largest recession in American history and it would last for a decade... I'm good with that.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    And stay off the lawn!
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    National Scenic Trails

Arizona National Scenic Trail The Arizona National Scenic Trail (ANST) traverses the State from Mexico to Utah. The ANST is intended to be a primitive, long distance trail that highlights the state's topographic, biologic, historic, and cultural diversity.

Continental Divide National Scenic Trail
    The Continental Divide National Scenic Trail (CDNST) traverses along the Rocky Mountains from Canada to Mexico. It navigates dramatically diverse ecosystems through mountain meadows, granite peaks, and high-desert surroundings. The nature and purposes of the CDNST are to provide for high-quality scenic, primitive hiking and horseback riding opportunities and to conserve natural, historic, and cultural resources along the CDNST corridor.

Florida National Scenic Trail
    The Florida National Scenic Trail (FNST) extends from Big Cypress National Preserve in South Florida through Florida's three national forests to Gulf Islands National Seashore in the western panhandle. The FNST passes through America's only subtropical landscape as well as globally significant scrub and longleaf pine ecosystems.

Pacific Crest National Scenic Trail
    The Pacific Crest National Scenic Trail (PCNST) spans California desert valleys to Northwestern rain forests, offering hikers and equestrians a wide variety of climate and terrain. It crosses California, Oregon, and Washington, with starting points in Canada and Mexico. The PCNST has the greatest elevation change of any of the National Scenic Trails, from near sea level to the crest of the Sierra and Cascade mountain ranges.

Pacific Northwest National Scenic Trail
    The Pacific Northwest National Scenic Trail (PNNST) extends from the northern Rocky Mountains to the Pacific Ocean. The PNNST is intended to be a primitive, long distance trail that offers a variety of back-country scenery and outdoor adventure.

Nez Perce (Nee Me Poo) National Historic Trail
    The Nez Perce National Historic Trail commemorates the flight of the Nez Perce Indians from their homeland in the Pacific Northwest to Canada to escape capture by the U.S. military. Using an indirect escape route as dictated by terrain and strategy, the Nez Perce passed through four states and traveled from Wallowa Lake, Oregon, to the Bear Paw Battlefield near Chinook, Montana.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Your defeatist attitude will get you nowhere in life....or anywhere new on your bike.
    So, they are organized, and on the move...so what.
    I see this as a good wake-up call to GET organized, politically active, and seize power from the HOHA lobby...not an opportunity to just 'curl up and die', as you seem to be advocating.
    Wake up!
    Some places are doing this.
    Teton Valley Idaho's two mayors are mt. Bikers, activists, and organizers, and are actively pressuring the local FS to listen, and it's working. And this is in one of the reddest of red states!
    Uncle, what have YOU personally done for advocacy?

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    This reminds me to the effort they made a couple years ago to close down a whole bunch of 4x4 trails. Someone is ALWAYS going to be *****in'

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Jackasses. I replied to their post. How incredibly selfish. Maybe some mountain bikers are rude, but so are some drivers, road bikers and hikers for that matter. They just want to make the world about themselves, everyone else be damned. Screw them.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleTrail View Post

The AHS sponsors/organizes National Trails Day... which in turn is sponsored by:
    The North Face -
    Merrell -
    Medical Adventure Kits -
    Columbia -
    Gregory -
    Gerber -
    REI -
    YMCA -
    American Park Network -
    Backpacker Magazine -
    Boy Scouts of America -
    National Park Service -

Note the beltway locations(VA,MD) for the AHS BOD: Board of Directors | American Hiking SocietyAmerican Hiking Society and if you look at their Linkedin profiles you will see that some are registered lobbyist in MD and VA.

The former CEO of REI, Sally Jewell, is now head of several of the Federal agencies listed above, and one might assume that the AHS has a good friend in high places to pursue its' anti-MTB agenda...

...or more correctly assume that the Department of Interior now has someone with corporate and special interest ties, in addition to personal beliefs, who will carry out a far-left leaning environmentalist agenda... i.e. the AHS is doing what elitist Progressives in the Obama Administration want it to do using the DOI and Sally Jewell.

These elitists want to create their private Utopias on public lands and they will use groups like the AHS as front groups to whip up public support to do so. Just like Obama did in his elections.

It's back asswards as to how a representative government is supposed to work and it's all right there in front of you to see. Posting Luv letters on FB will get you nowhere with these people.

And yeah you under 30 kids probably think I'm nuts, just like I thought my poly-sci prof was nuts when I was in college in D.C. in the late 80's and he told us that shortly after 2000 we would have the largest recession in American history and it would last for a decade... I'm good with that.
    Listen to your Uncle, he has it right. It's time for IMBA, to stand up and fight, and for us mountain bikers to boycott these companies unless they defund this hate group.

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    When I'm forced to quit riding after a few more injuries, I'm totally gonna sign that and keep you scuzzy bikers off my trails.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

It really makes em mad when you tell them "hiking" is just "walking"

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleTrail View Post

The North Face -
    Merrell -
    Medical Adventure Kits -
    Columbia -
    Gregory -
    Gerber -
    REI -
    YMCA -
    American Park Network -
    Backpacker Magazine -
    Boy Scouts of America -
    National Park Service -

That's some vintage Uncle trail conspiracy theory stuff there.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Name:  AHS.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  55.9 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    PS request

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Sloth View Post
    Name:  AHS.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  55.9 KB
    Nice!
    Time to forum cross-pollenate!

And then we eat them."

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004

And then we eat them."

OSCMTB
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleBitey View Post
    It really makes em mad when you tell them "hiking" is just "walking"
    Hiking is just walking where it's okay to pee. Sometimes old people go hiking by accident.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkley View Post
    Hiking is just walking where it's okay to pee. Sometimes old people go hiking by accident.
    +1

Where we should go,
    We just ride...