Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

alpine touring beginner gear

looking for advice on gear, pretty much beginner in this but i used to be decent resort skier, i switched to snowboard when i was 18 and was doing snowboarding up until now (i am 35). want to start my kid with skiing next winter and thinking of getting new gear (or used) for next season. not a huge fan of resorts anymore but with kid, most likely most of the skiing (and hiking) will consist of resort skiing. dont really need top models, more likely just beginner models. any suggestions welcome.
    HuRa
    architecture and interior design
    website facebook

Paste eater
    Check wilderness exchange for a used set up. I like the marker duke or barron bindings. They are heavy, but if you're like me, it's more about the down then the up. Also, if you're doing resort skiing they are still great. Ebay is another good option.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I wouldn't so much separate it into "beginner" vs "top models" so much. Unless you get into the ultra light rando race equipment, the binding systems are all pretty much general use.
    For BC skiing I'd go with some sort of a mid fat (85-100mm underfoot) fairly light ski. The really fat skis might make tricky snow conditions easier, but you're hauling around a lot of extra weight that all adds up. with every step.
    You don't have to go with ultra light mohair race type skins. Most of the skin manufacturers are pretty competitive with each other in their general use skins.
    with boots comfort is of course most important. I have the Dynafit One which is pretty light with a good range of motion and I really like the way it skis. You don't really need heavy four buckle boots unless you want to do a lot of resort skiing.

If you're looking used, I'd look for a non abused pair of mid fats with Dynafit bindings. Unless you're counting ounces get bindings with brakes rather than leashes. If you buy used skins, don't get skins that have large sections of plush worn off. I like the BD STS tail attachment system, I'd avoid skins that have no tail hook. Don't worry too much about the glue - you can always re-glue.
    Boots with moldable liners are INO a must for all day comfort.

Needless to say, also take the time to equip and educate yourself and your kid on avalanche safety.

Awesomist™
    Pretty much what those other guys said. Also to reiterate: there's really no "beginner level" vs. "top level" AT stuff that I've seen... meaning it's ALL expensive. Look for good used stuff to get into it though. I've had friends find really good deals for decent equipment on Craig's List even, just gotta know what you're looking for. You may give Fritschi bindings a look, it seems a lot of people covet the Marker Duke/Baron, the newer Salomon/Atomic AT bindings, and of course the Dynafit/tech stuff so the Fritschi bindings might be found a bit cheaper. Also also to reiterate: there is NO REPLACEMENT for proper Avi gear and knowledge in the backcountry.
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

mtbr member
    how about this offer?
    he is my ht and same size feet.
    HuRa
    website facebook

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Newer tech bindings are 100% fine for resort riding. I have had zero problems with un-wanted release with my Dynafit Vertical ST for 3 years now in BC and in bounds (except when they get clogged with snow). Whoever says they are bad are just believing the hype that was true about them from pre-2007. If you get some of the newer models...they're good enough for all-around use, but still are primarily designed for backcountry.

If you plan on getting into more aggressive skiing...jumps, drops, or even just really aggressive groomers. I'd probably steer away from the tech stuff, and go with barons or fritschis or something.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Full Trucker View Post
    Pretty much what those other guys said. Also to reiterate: there's really no "beginner level" vs. "top level" AT stuff that I've seen... meaning it's ALL expensive. Look for good used stuff to get into it though. I've had friends find really good deals for decent equipment on Craig's List even, just gotta know what you're looking for. You may give Fritschi bindings a look, it seems a lot of people covet the Marker Duke/Baron, the newer Salomon/Atomic AT bindings, and of course the Dynafit/tech stuff so the Fritschi bindings might be found a bit cheaper. Also also to reiterate: there is NO REPLACEMENT for proper Avi gear and knowledge in the backcountry.
    The Marker, Salomon, etc bindings are seriously heavy duty bindings intended for slackcountry more than extended BC touring. Lots of people use their regular alpine boots with them They'll work, but they wouldn't be my first choice for more extended BC skiing.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    It would work. It's not a particularly lightweight setup, the boots especially are not what I'd call svelte AT boots. If that's not as important to you and the boots fit, or can be made to fit it would be a decent deal. If you really get into BC skiing you'll probably eventually want to upgrade but you gotta start somewhere and this is less than half of what a set up with decent quality new gear would cost.

Personally though I'd hold out for something lighter but that's just me. I'm not a total weight weenie Neither my AT or tele set up(s) are light compared to the real light weight stuff, but a couple pounds on your feet make a big difference when you're slogging out the vertical.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    I'm gonna be the guy who asks:

Are you planning to spend the $1000 for beacon, probe, shovel and avy education?

If not - just get yourself some alpine gear, not AT gear.

mtbr member
    SS, i only have one life, dont I. . responses here made me reevaluate and i am going to hold on till next fall/winter do more research, save up a bit and get what i really want.
    HuRa
    website facebook

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brankulo View Post
    SS, i only have one life, dont I. . responses here made me reevaluate and i am going to hold on till next fall/winter do more research, save up a bit and get what i really want.
    Forget SS, he's in it for the instant satisfaction...NTTAWWT...you do what you wanna do. I'm on your page, except I'm going full tele. Have been piecing together bits since 2 years ago (only have bindings right now). This summer will be boots and skis. First year on tele will be in resort. But the end goal is to not have to buy a season pass and just go trucking in the BC. I just can't imagine that, having had over 17 years on alpine, switching to free-heel will be THAT difficult...but I guess this coming winter will tell

Edit: and I still anticipate SS will have probs keeping up w/ me, even free-heeling
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    , except I'm going full retard.

Edit: and I still anticipate SS will have probs keeping up w/ me, even free-heeling

Never go full retard...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post

Never go full retard...
    You couldn't keep up w/ when I had shin issues/Lange-bang...had to hold back to keep from waiting at the lift base for full-retard ever...
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    You couldn't keep up w/ when I had shin issues/Lange-bang...had to hold back to keep from waiting at the lift base for full-retard ever...
    I think you underestimate teh telemark.

mtbr member
    I think you underestimate teh telemark.
    We shall see won't we? Maybe the old dog has new tricks...Name:  smiley_moon.gif
Views: 478
Size:  5.4 KB
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    We shall see won't we? Maybe the old dog has new tricks...Name:  smiley_moon.gif
Views: 478
Size:  5.4 KB
    [snork]

Damned free heel forest faeries.

mtbr member
    [snork]

Damned free heel forest faeries.
    Come SS, join the dark side!
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Come SS, join the dark side!
    Hell will freeze over prior to any nonsense like that.

mtbr member

Wanna get to this level...

Hell will freeze over prior to any nonsense like that.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Stand back
    Alpine is for people who can't telemark.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    gotta find my old world telemark mogul championships video from 1992.

My bump *** days are well in my past but I still find it more comfortable to ski bumps free heel rather than locked. Go figure.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser View Post
    Alpine is for people who can't telemark.
    And telemark is for people who...

Oh, never mind. It's too easy.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I have been messing with different setups and think I have finally found something that will stick. I use alpine gear for resorts. For out of bound skiing I use some madshus annom tele skis with tele boots and touring tele bindings. I'm not that great at tele but if you can alpine ski you can probably do well enough to have fun on tele. The skis have waxless bases like an xc ski and they do pretty well without the need for skins. I'm not going off easy trails that are mostly rolling terrain and low chance of an avalanche. It's also nice to be able to use the setup to xc ski with my wife. I can't stand regular xc skis and these have a lot of the same benefits and you still have some control.

One thing that I have experienced with BC skiing so far is the barriers to get don't involve gear. I have hadv such a hard time getting advice out of people. I'm not sure if they don't want people to crowd out their sport or they just want to be elitist bit it's been difficult. I guess they forget that at one point they were in the same boat until they got a break. Or maybe I just haven't met the right people.
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    If I told you I saw a unicorn ****ing a leprechaun trail side, you'd probably be suspicious.

Stand back
    Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    and telemark is for people who...

Want big quads
    ftfy
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser View Post
    ftfy
    You know how you can tell someone that telemarks?

Oh... don't worry - they'll tell YOU.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast