a dad
    Jan 2004

almost got run over at apex today..literally

so this really goes out to the a$$wipes who were bombing Apex around 3:15 today...

i was on the very bottom, just starting out, you know where there are those blinds corners....A$$wipe one comes by too fast but not blind so not a big deal, A$$wipe two just about hits me on a semi blind corner but still no big deal...but A$$wipe three comes around a blind corner and locks em up three inches from hitting me and flys off the trail (without his bike, i definately got a laugh out of it)...i told him to slow down but then asked if he was OK...

many problems here...busy time of day for sure, the bottom is the busiest, you just don't bomb that part...no one said how many more riders...etc, etc...

was a great day though, super tacky in the forest and perfect temps...
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

lucky enough
    Too bad these guys were just thinking of themselves and not being courteous to other trail users. That's what got Boulder's trails closed 20 years ago.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

I had the same experience (remember "infesting"?)

on those same corners only it was two idiots endangering me and everyone else on Apex, not three. Wonder if was the same guys?

That's what she said
    Apr 2006
    I have no problems with downhill riders but also think they should do their riding on downhill courses. I don't know how many times I have almost been run off Mount Falcon because some DH wants to see how fast he can go and they stop for NOBODY. Ok well let me back up and say SOME DH riders act this way, I don't want to put all of them in one category because that is not fair. I know some great DH people that would never do this. Anyway the problem is the trails are crowded along the front range and the mountain bike community should not be bombing down hills at crazy speeds especially around blind corners. That's my soap box for the day.

mtbr member
    At no time did anyone say anything about downhill riders. I assumed it was girls on SS hardtails.

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulbiker
    At no time did anyone say anything about downhill riders. I assumed it was girls on SS hardtails.
    Mmmm... girls on SS hardtails
    Now with more vitriol!

eci
    im actually going with lycra clad xc'ers on fully rigid single speeds

Perpetually single track
    Quote Originally Posted by snowskilz
    im actually going with lycra clad xc'ers on fully rigid single speeds
    I'm gonna go ahead and call BS on that one. We all know the lycra clad weenies would have gone directly for Billy...none of this going off the trail to avoid him.
    The more out of shape you are, the steeper the hill looks.

a dad
    Jan 2004
    frankly i don't care if people shuttle apex or whatever or what kind of bike they ride etc..but if you are on a blind corner you just gotta take it easy, ESPECIALLY when you are near the trailhead where most of the traffic is and when its a busier time of day..i love to go fast, but people gotta use some common sense...i passed 3-4 hikers in that area too and i am sure they weren't pleased..... but it was great to see that guy go flying, he went pretty far..
    BBZ

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

what I thought

Quote Originally Posted by billybobzia
    frankly i don't care if people shuttle apex or whatever or what kind of bike they ride etc..but if you are on a blind corner you just gotta take it easy, ESPECIALLY when you are near the trailhead where most of the traffic is and when its a busier time of day..i love to go fast, but people gotta use some common sense...i passed 3-4 hikers in that area too and i am sure they weren't pleased..... but it was great to see that guy go flying, he went pretty far..
    when it happened to me. I'd just passed a few older hikers including a really old guy (I thought as I rode past him, how cool he's still out hiking at his age) when BLAM! the offenders were on me in a instant BLAM! they were past me! My first thought was for the little old guy. Doesn't matter if they skillfully avoided him at a hundred mph, it was just wrong to put him and others in that situation.

"I want it now!"
    hey wait...i'm one of those girls on the ss hardtails and i always yield the right-of-way to uphill riders, equestrians and hikers. so....if i ran someone off the trail it was unintentional and i appologize. can i blame it on my crappy brakes? probably not! sorry.

a dad
    Jan 2004
    yeah today at white ranch someone blew by us really fast going downhill (we were off the trail fixing a chain) and i thought it was a little disrespectful (imagine how that looks to a non biker)...i mean i always slow down when approaching others, you never know when you are gonna lose your line or whatever...
    BBZ

KSC
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I could have written this thread. The same thing happened to me (except nobody flew off their bike) at the exact same place Friday on Apex. I don't think the people were a--wipes at all, but it's easy to get overly enthusiastic finishing off that great decent. I can understand the desire to flow through there, but it's definitely not a good place. I try to ride such that I can come to a complete stop at any time if someone suddenly popped up around the next blind spot. I think that's a good rule of thumb.

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by cocavaak
    Too bad these guys were just thinking of themselves and not being courteous to other trail users. That's what got Boulder's trails closed 20 years ago.
    The last time I saw DH bikers that didn't yeild to anyone were two boulder xc'rs...

Any bike that you point downhill makes you a DH'r.... just be carefull out there, Jeffco has considered closing it before due to anti-yeilding-riders

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulbiker
    It was 7 year old girs on these: Oh the nerve!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    It was 7 year old girs on these: Oh the nerve!

thats some funny stuff lidarman!

Members who have read this thread: 0