Chairman of the Beard

All this yelling "STRAVA!" and killing ourselves, where are the fun rides?

Where's this brand of nonsense happening on the front range?
    The correct number of bikes one should own is N+1, where N is the number of bikes currently owned.

banned
    Tour De Fat

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    The fun rides are off the radar...

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    I plan on having fun tomorrow night at the Solstice Ride--I am going to lead the "B" group I think (although I don't have an AT-AT suit to wear).

That being said, I have fun on pretty much every ride--even last week when I was charging in vain after the Strava group.

Goat of Legend
    This morning....at 6am...Lair o the Bear...was righteously fun! Tomorrow...at 6am'ish...An Enchanted Chimpex I believe, will be equally so.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

My leg feels funny
    Quote Originally Posted by vchsti View Post
    Way to resurrect a thread with KC as the 2nd post. You had me thinking he was back for a second.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Fun rides... still off the Stravaradar.

STRAVA!!!!!!
    Mar 2010
    LIsten! When I yell STRAVA, that means move kid!!!

Now older but less slow!

I'm impressed how fast that dog was.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Two years after the original post I still have yet to have anyone yell "strava" at me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    Two years after the original post I still have yet to have anyone yell "strava" at me.
    STRAVAAAAAA!!!!!!

Yeah, me neither.

Now older but less slow!

I've yelled Strava at someone. But that was a joke at the time.

Interestingly I had a discussion with a Strava product developer the other day. He was seeking input on ways to make Strava more friendly to mountain bikers. This was primarily around their new routes function but it covered other areas as well.

Chairman of the Beard
    Wrenching around in their pockets post ride hit home a little too much for me...
    The correct number of bikes one should own is N+1, where N is the number of bikes currently owned.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bipolarbear View Post
    STRAVAAAAAA!!!!!!

Yeah, me neither.
    Probably because we're so fast nobody is ever trying to pass us.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    Probably because we're so fast nobody is ever trying to pass us.
    ON the contrary, I'm so slow even the most die hard spandisexual Stravanators feel sorry for me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Don't know why everyone makes a big deal about strava. Used it again today. I also stopped for someone walking their bike and loaned them my pump.

Now older but less slow!

I use it as well and also stop to chat with people. However there are many parts of the parodies that are true.

I held a KOM over on Marshall Mesa for a while. I was proud that it was done while Cowdrey Draw was still mostly single track. Now it's ful of double track and cheater lines and you know it's because of people trying to get KOMs. It pisses me off. Keep single track single. Strava as a tool is okay but unfortunately there are many tools using it.

DHMTBR.com
    The video was hilarious and somewhat truthful! I use Strava for personal record keeping mostly, and I'm not interested in the competition aspect of it. I only switched to it form Garmin Connect because it let me see my own performance on segments, but now that GC offers segments, I may switch back.

Strava is not friendly to mountain bikers, neither is the support folks there. As a software programmer I have tried to talk with them about a few simple things I would have thought was available, and get shut down when they hear I ride in the dirt.
    Regards,
    Chris Sgaraglino

Yup, follow me on Google+
    https://plus.google.com/+ChrisSgaraglino

little mad riding hood
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by csgaraglino View Post
    Strava is not friendly to mountain bikers, neither is the support folks there. As a software programmer I have tried to talk with them about a few simple things I would have thought was available, and get shut down when they hear I ride in the dirt.
    I agree, however I think they've taken the lion's share of the heat for their off road bike segments and are probably enacting a bit of plausible deniability. The bulk of the Strava hate directed at the brand and the bulk of the douchey behavior is perpetrated by mountain bikers; at least that's been my perception.

that said I've also seen a fair bit of territorialism in software development so it could be a bit of that at play as well. Or it could simply be that your ideas have already been thought of and aren't practical for [xyz] reasons (I have no idea just spitballing; project management is what I do all day).

Strava has been really useful for me so long as I forget about trying to use other riders as a yardstick (who knows, maybe they rode at 5AM on empty trails or had a kickass tailwind) I primarily use it to compare myself against myself in similar conditions; this year I've mainly been using it to compare race results one to the next (working hard to ride those damned Whoops and Lower Arapahoe segments in the Winter Park races faster are big personal goals this year because those trails scare me and the fact that they scare me pisses me off).

Chronic 1st-timer
    Les grimpées, je m'en fou!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lubes17319 View Post
    really...All that effort and PAIN for a KOM of 78 feet in elevation

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    One of our local trails, Spring Creek, has been labeled "Leaderboards for this segment are unavailable because it has been flagged as hazardous." Times are recorded, but the leaderboard is gone.

This trail is notorious for "shuttles" and I've been run off the trail, going uphill, several times by dumbass DH armor clad cyclists decending at unreasonable speeds.

Only a matter of time before all DH Strava segments are gone.