Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Tribe Member

All Winter Park trails are downhill only now?

I just found this over at 303cycling.com Can anybody tell me when this went into effect? Seems very strange that you hold XC races there but now no one can train at the resort.

As you may know, Winter Park Resort does not allow uphill mountain biking anymore. Since the development of the Trestle Bike Park, all of the trails are now designated as downhill trails. Most riders typically spend the day at the park and access the trails by riding up the chairlift and then blasting down the trails (hence the downhill designation only).

Maybe this is just about lost revenue from those skinny XC guys or has there been trail conflicts lately?
    Proud Tribe member since 1992 - looking for better singletrack to be ridden year round

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    You can't ride up the service roads?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    You can't ride up the service roads?
    I see guys riding up the service roads all the time. Just can't ride up the trails, which makes sense.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    climb the service roads...
    DO NOT climb the single track... you will not be yielded for, you will cause a crash, people will not like you..

There is a gazillion miles of single track you can climb OUTSIDE of the Trestle Bike park.

<100%
    For the safety of all Trestle® Bike Park guests, riding or hiking up trails is not permitted during operating hours. Uphill riding is ONLY permitted on the Summer Road or on Icarus Trail (outside the Bike Park).

Seems reasonable....

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by yetirich View Post
    As you may know, Winter Park Resort does not allow uphill mountain biking anymore. Since the development of the Trestle Bike Park, all of the trails are now designated as downhill trails.
    True, but they do give out free skirts with the purchse of a lift ticket.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleTrail View Post
    True, but they do give out free skirts with the purchse of a lift ticket.
    Never seen one myself, but okay...
    So, would you like to ride up those DH trails (good luck with that...)? Not following the thinking behind this post...
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    or has there been trail conflicts lately?
    Wouldn't it kinda conflict with the whole purpose of a lift accessed bike park?

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan12210 View Post
    Wouldn't it kinda conflict with the whole purpose of a lift accessed bike park?
    no different than allowing uphill skinning in the winter (which many resorts allow).

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwhan View Post
    no different than allowing uphill skinning in the winter (which many resorts allow).
    Sure, no different other than the fact that a ski slope is 50 feet wide or more in most places while a mtn bike trail may only be wide enough to let 1 rider through. Gimme a break dude. You guys are just mad because it's one less place to b**** about people not yielding to uphill riders.

Awesomist™
    For clarification: many area that do have winter uphill access do NOT allow it during operating hours.
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    Never seen one myself, but okay...
    So, would you like to ride up those DH trails (good luck with that...)? Not following the thinking behind this post...

Actually I have. We used to race UP many of those trails back in the day.

My leg feels funny
    Were there people going 30mph going down them at the time? If there was, was it even a concern that you might get knocked off your dinosaur?

MK_
    carpe mañana
    Just go after the lifts close and have at it. Why would anyone want to pedal uphill against traffic moving at 30+mph in full body armor is beyond me?

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

p0P
    I think what yetirich is referring to, is NOT the Dbl-Black & blue trails that have always been DH only, but what is being questioned is the stuff that many hardcore DH riders never really touched anyway... like the network of greens & blues (Little Vasquez, Cherokee, Roof of the Rockies come to mind) that are off to the north & west of what is the original DH Trestle Park.
    When you dig into the link rich posted, it seems a little ambiguous if the those trails are what they are referring too, because the official trail map on WP's site still shows directional arrows up & down on several trails...

http://trestlebikepark.com/downloads...ap2013_web.pdf

But if it is true that everything is downhill only now, I guess I can understand (but not necessarily like it)...
    I might guess that as the sport is growing, there are plenty of beginner DH'ers, families with kids that want to expose them to the sport, and heavy-breathing flatlanders that go there now & they are most likely to be riding the greens & mild-blues down to practice or just have a mellow ride ride, and the uphillers are getting in the way...?

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan12210 View Post
    Sure, no different other than the fact that a ski slope is 50 feet wide or more in most places while a mtn bike trail may only be wide enough to let 1 rider through. Gimme a break dude. You guys are just mad because it's one less place to b**** about people not yielding to uphill riders.
    Breathe. Relax. I'm not mad, I've only ridden WP once (and stay away from all lift served as a rule). I was just pointing out that it is possible for the two to coexist, like having a trail or two or three designated as two way. There's no inherent conflict. Years ago, I rode uphill at WP when the lifts were spinning, and IIRC, the trail map directed us to certain trails that we could ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Full Trucker View Post
    For clarification: many area that do have winter uphill access do NOT allow it during operating hours.
    And many allow it during operation (with rules); I wasn't intending my post to be a full explanation of all uphill skinning policies. :shrug:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by liqwid View Post
    Were there people going 30mph going down them on 40lbs DH sleds, and armored up like a linebacker at the time?
    Fixed it for you...
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

a dad
    Jan 2004
    me too, but mtn biking has evolved greatly since then, thankfully.

in the end there are many more miles of trails you can ride up than there are trails that you can only ride down, get over it and go pedal, it will make you happy.
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    You should be happy that places like TBP are providing lift services for the DH crowd, it keeps them (us) in one place and away from multi-use trails. With bike tech and personal preference shining the way it does, it's only good that trails like these be designated one way.

Also, as mentioned, there are ways to get up the mountain on multi-directional trails and service roads where you won't conflict with the DH crowd.

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    Seems very strange that you hold XC races there but now no one can train at the resort.
    I raced there a couple years, and don't remember any of the courses going up the resort trails. Maybe a little on Green World, but I think it was mostly riding up the road on your way to Frasier, or down Green World coming back to the resort.

I like no uphill traffic or hikers on the trail. Resorts are the only place you can bomb downhill, and not worry about other users (minus slower riders and crashes).
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSteve in CO View Post
    Resorts are the only place you can bomb downhill, and not worry about other users (minus slower riders and crashes).
    Man, the thought of crashes gives me the heebee geebees! There are plenty of blind drop-in that someone could be rolling around in the bottom of, and it'd be a complete unknown until you're airborne...the third wood feature on Double Jep, the lower most drop-in on Beall...

OT: has anyone on here been getting on the wall after the 1st drop on Double Jep? I've been trying to "double" it to avoid the flat area so I can keep speed to double the next two...
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

My leg feels funny
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    the third wood feature on Double Jep
    Its funny you mention that. First year they opened that trail I almost took out a guy who cut over from long trail at the bottom of that drop. Still makes me slow down before I drop that...

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    True, but they do give out free skirts with the purchase of a lift ticket.
    You guys should know better than to take something I say ^^^ so seriously.

If anyone is pro bike park and DH only trails... it's me. And yes we used to race up those @ '93~'94. And I do understand bikes are different now, the speeds are higher, and the experience levels are lower.

mtbr member
    I understand having a DH park, but one uphill/ downhill trail that isn't part of the DH parks trail system should have been added to allow visitors a chance to ride an uphill trail. Not everyone wants to bomb downhill in a padded suit, and telling a visitor to go off mountain because we can't accommodate any uphill riders anywhere on a 3000 acre mountain isn't the best management.

Here in Steamboat MtWerner has added several DH specific trails, and taken away one of our climbs to make an easier DH only trail, but Valley View is still open for uphill riders, its posted for two way traffic, but is passed over by most DH riders who prefer the more DH designed trails. or the service road is available to climb. Choices. It's great to get these DH specific trails, it has removed DH shuttled riders from other trails in the area. I'm glad that Steamboat hasn't closed all the trails to uphill riders.

Awesomist™

All Winter Park trails are downhill only now?

And many allow it during operation (with rules); I wasn't intending my post to be a full explanation of all uphill skinning policies. :shrug:
    And there are also bike parks in this state that have designated uphill and/or multi-directional trails open for use during operating hours in the summer time, with rules. The intent of my post was to show that there are many uphill access policies utilized in the winter, just like in the summer. Each resort area will have their own policy based on the particular needs and constraints of that area. In the specific instance if Winter Park, is it a drag that uphill access on bike park trails is no longer available during operating hours? For some, yes. But objectively evaluating the usage of the bike park trails would lead me (and I would hope most others) to believe the uphill policy is in place mainly for the safety of all users. And not just the armor clad DH set, but the other 50%* of the bike park users: dads, moms, kids, people on vacation trying something new, etc.

*percentage estimated by personal experience, not intended to be a cited statistic from any known source.

**EDIT: Also, as the OP alluded to, this policy is most likely financially driven. Caring for the safety of their customers, as well as their overall bike park experience, is what makes a bike park profitable. They are, after all, a business.
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast