nice marmot.

All the Fruita Hype

That place is SO overhyped. I went there last weekend and had no fun at all! We certainly hated this backdrop scenery:

The trails were actually so boring we started walking at one point:

I have no reason why they call this "Zippity Doo Da", there was hardly ANY zipping:

We were all so dissapointed we headed to the parking lot and started drinking:

So, the next day we headed to Grand Junction, or "The Junk" as its known. It wasn't any better:

Okay, okay, I'm kidding, the trails were spectacular! SO spectacular, that my friend Adam just couldn't control himself:

And I was jumping for joy!

*Edit: I am a multi-photo noob! Resized for your viewing pleasure....

*Re-edit: Sonofa! still tiny!

*Re-re-edit: Okay, now I get it.
    Last edited by ictoacoy; 03-31-2008 at 10:09 AM.

abnormally aspirated
    Jun 2005
    nice... except those are tiny!

Your retarded
    I have new avatar options.
    A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

Tribe Member
    I was there this weekend also...weather sucked (in mid 60's), riding was horrible (rode most of the lunch loops and 18rd on sunday) and had BBQ (Rib CIty Grill - some of the best pork ribs around)

I would rather go to Moab and have all my beer confinscated from me, have to deal with jeeps, expensive motel rooms and another 90 miles of driving...

I might never go back (heading back over in 2 weeks to finish all loops at Rabbit Valley)

Sarcasim - isn't it great!
    Last edited by yetirich; 03-31-2008 at 10:47 AM.
    Proud Tribe member since 1992 - looking for better singletrack to be ridden year round

Rolling
    Yep, Frutia is so overhyped. You realized how small those rides really are didn't you?

nice marmot.
    so the funny thing is... when you link to the thumbnail image you get tiny tiny pictures, it all makes sense now.

Needless to say, it was a good time had by all. I had made two prior attempts to ride Fruita and ended up going to Moab due to rain, I was beginning to think I was cursed. The wife loved Kessels, and skipped Zippety Doo Da to ride it again. She made a wise decision. I loved Zippety, but my two other friends were cursing me around that really exposed turn.

Saturday: Prime Cut > Kessels > Western Zippety > Zippity Doo Da > 2nd half of Kessels

Sunday: Tabeguache > Lemon Squeezer > Tabeguache > Gunny Trail > Holy Cross > Tabeguache

Good times.

mtbr member
    Kessels is my favorite there. I agree with the wife on Zippity Doo Da. Waaay too much exposure for me. I was standing next my bike frozen for a minute on that turn.

Rides Uphill Slow
    Yep Fruita is no fun. I go back a couple of times a year just to make sure. Heading out in two weeks just to make sure.

I rode Rabbit Valley and ran into some 4 wheelers and dirt bikes. If I were you I'd hit up the Junk and the lunch loops. Maybe I wasn't riding the correct trails at Rabbit Valley but just thought I'd throw it out there.
    I'm here for the downhill

Your retarded
    Quote Originally Posted by ictoacoy
    And I was jumping for joy!

Nice style! That's a great shot.
    A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

Tribe Member
    I need to finish off Zion Curtain and Westwater and then done with that area. We did run into a couple of guys on the New Rim trail but they were having lunch and just kinda laughed as we went by them.

Then my riding will be done at Fruita. Still need to hit Holy Cross, Gunny and Tabegauche.

Does anybody know if Flight of the Icarus is still open? Had read at one time that it was closed for hunting, private property, BLM?

Thanks
    Proud Tribe member since 1992 - looking for better singletrack to be ridden year round

We can rebuild him

Boring

If you really want to be bored for a couple hours try the Edge loop.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yetirich
    I would rather go to Moab and have all my beer confinscated from me
    Really? Where/how did this happen?
    Many of the Western Slopers could be in danger as well.
    Craig, Durango CO
    "Lighten up PAL" ... King Cage

nice marmot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickle
    Nice style! That's a great shot.
    Thanks, that hip was really fun. Jumping on an XC bike is always an adventure, but
    we still spent about 30 minutes at the end of the ride playing around on those features where all the trails converge near the main trailhead. This was my first ride at the Lunch Loop area, now I need to go back and hit Free Lunch and Lemon Squeezer on an "appropriate" bike.

VooDoo user.
    I had no idea ZIP was so steep on those drop ins. Never done that trail. Don't know wether to be scared or excited. Awesome.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    wow, how gay, why would you even post this...

fruita=aids

give me a nice cement path anyday..

oh wait the 1st is tomorrow...

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Amstel Light makes Baby Jesus cry.

Tribe Member

Bootlegging posts in different forums

Quote Originally Posted by cbrossman
    Really? Where/how did this happen?
    Many of the Western Slopers could be in danger as well.

This popped up while we were in Fruita

From the UT forum - Police Check Points on the way to Moab?

From the Front Range forum - Be careful on the way to MOAB...

Hard to say if if is true or not...not saying it isn't. But since there is no first hand story that I found reading it, hard to verify at that point.

We usually went over with cases of beer to be thier 3 or 4 days. Maybe being "old" and cruising over in a minivan, get's me a free pass from being stopped?

nice marmot.
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    Amstel Light makes Baby Jesus cry.
    If you look closely, you will see that there was also 5 Barrel, Sierra Nevada, Black Butte Porter (which I was enjoying) & Corona in that cooler as well. I believe in diversity
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    At least he went with good salsa. I live on the City Market Hot Deli Salsa

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    If you look closely, you will see that there was also 5 Barrel, Sierra Nevada, Black Butte Porter (which I was enjoying) & Corona in that cooler as well. I believe in diversity
    You're supposed to make sure that there are more GOOD beers than bad in the cooler.

nice marmot.
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    You're supposed to make sure that there are more GOOD beers than bad in the cooler.
    My bad, my bad. No more excuses. I will go home and fill up my fridge with GOOD beer as pennance

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    My bad, my bad. No more excuses. I will go home and fill up my fridge with GOOD beer as pennance
    Can I come over?

WWJR

we were there thurs-sun

did some of the 18r stuff 1st. Zippity, Joes, Kessle, etc... We went over to Koko and did Lions Climb to Troy Built then down Koko Cutoff, down to Collarbone trailhead. I was gonna try to follow my boys up Collarbone Cutoff back to Troy Built, and bomb Macks Ridge back to the lot, but didnt have nuff legs to do the climb! What a kickazz place!!!

contains quinine
    Quote Originally Posted by yetirich
    I need to finish off Zion Curtain and Westwater and then done with that area. We did run into a couple of guys on the New Rim trail but they were having lunch and just kinda laughed as we went by them.

Then my riding will be done at Fruita. Still need to hit Holy Cross, Gunny and Tabegauche.

Does anybody know if Flight of the Icarus is still open? Had read at one time that it was closed for hunting, private property, BLM?

Thanks
    Read this article: http://www.active.com/mountainbiking...egulations.htm

From the article: ""So what?"; he said. "We tried being compliant for a few years and it didn't get us anywhere. Now we're sort of going back to the good old days of building (trails) without permission and apologizing later.""

I'm conflicted. While I love riding the trails out there, the "better to ask forgiveness than permission" attitude bothers me.
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Debaser
    I'm conflicted. While I love riding the trails out there, the "better to ask forgiveness than permission" attitude bothers me.
    Yeah, I liked the quote from the BLM ďItís an unsustainable trail that was built by a local yahoo who thinks heís a great trail-builder but isnít.Ē