Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

All-around mountain bike race?

I'm looking for the ultimate all-around mountain bike race. Combing downhill and CC with technical climbs, maybe even some drops. Basically, a race that would challenge in many different aspects of mountain bike riding. No specializations!! I'm looking for a race to determine the best all around mountain biker. And no, it wont be me...

Does anyone know of something like that in Colorado/Utah?

mtbr member

Me likes this idea

A race that is part techy master and part cross country weenie. Something like that would get me racing. I don't wear a heart monitor and shave my legs and I can't do 20 foot drops or hit gigantic gap jumps while doing a 360 barrel roll but I am decently fast up and can bomb down.

I was thinking of something like this last year. I thought Crosstech would be a good name for it.
    Yield to downhill

skillz to pay billz
    or crossdress...

spandex and baggies

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    You could call it "SuperD"
    Now with more vitriol!

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla
    You could call it "SuperD"
    Ding! Give that lizard a cookie.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

mtbr member
    Yeah but aren't those like 10 minutes long? I was thinking something a bit longer.
    Yield to downhill

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Though it's not in CO, this sorta seems like what Downieville is about.

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by PuraVida
    Yeah but aren't those like 10 minutes long? I was thinking something a bit longer.
    Open Winning time for SuperD at Angel Fire was just under 19 minutes, the winning times in the other categories were 20-22minutes and people took up to 30minutes to finish wandering in.

At Crested Butte the times were between 12-20minutes.

Neither of them had technical climbs however (with actual technical obstacles to over come). Angel Fire definitely had technical aspects in it's decent, Crested Butte did not (but then it's downhill is also the least technical in the series).

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Yeah, super D also involves a lift ride to the top and are short.

To me all around mountain biking definitely involves endurance. Hour and a half of hard effort minimum, no lifts, no shuttles.

Many years ago I did a race that had a 3-4 mile uphill time trial up a steep, baby head, rutted jeep road followed by a downhill time trial of what you just climbed. I was middle of the pack on the climb and something like third on the descent. The time I lost on the uphill didn't offset the time I gained on the descent, but it was fun regardless.

mtbr member
    Yeah, Downieville has the all-mountain race. It's over the course of two days.

I was hoping for a race that would be a couple hours long, cover some mileage but also have too much technical for the lycra warriors to just run with their bikes. Maybe a few scary downhill moments. Then some sweet technical climbs in there somewhere.

I raced a NORBA downhill years ago at Breck and thought that would be a great way to start a race, at the bottom it would have been awesome to continue on to a TECHNICAL CC race.

In other words, a race to seperate the wheat from the chaff.

-Chaff.

mtbr member
    And a no-dab/trials section...

Issue would be to keep climb, trials and DH balanced so you really have to be good at each to win. Point in case: In a standard 'up the mountain and back down' the strongest climber will win. This is simply due to the fact that climbing will be the longest part of the race. A significant lead gained there (example 10% faster = 3 min on a 30 min climb) will outweigh the other areas (example 10% faster = 18 sec on a 3 min DH).
    "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit." - And I agree.

mtbr member

Dr/mw

I always thought DR/MW would make for a good race like this. Up the hill to DR. Along the ridge. Over to MW. Take the low road in MW (not the switchback climb). Finish is either MW parking lot or somewhere before.
    Yield to downhill

simple
    What you are describing is close to what is being called "Enduro Racing" which was discussed in last month's issue of Decline. It is the next level of Super-D in a sense. You don't race the climbs, you do it as a group and take as long as you need. Only the downhills are timed. What you are describing would modify the Enduro so that technical climbs could be included in the timing.

We are already working on the Enduro format here in CO and trying to find a suitable location. Non-Norba, no entry fee, and mostly for bragging rights and beer. If you know Troy Marino in Flagstaff, AZ and his races/events you will know what to expect. Great wicked hard riding, fun people, and handmade prizes.

Of course I have my disbelief that this would work in CO since we just have an overload of way too competitive cyclists and douchebags but if kept small it will be very fun.

Cheers, Colin

mtbr member
    Interesting. The Enduro seems like a fun race too. Especially with the non-sanctioned aspect of it. Beer is way more of a prize than series points.

I would still like to see a race that rewards people who can ride up hill fast though too. Kaba Klaus has a good point that the time involved in climbing up needs to balance the time coming down and the no-dab tech section would be awesome.

I'm thinking now that with the front range being like it is with high traffic, this race would make more sense on the Western Slope or the Moab area.

Pura Vida, I'll race you on the DR/MW course but winner buys beer. I think you'll finish fast enough to go buy the beer and bring it back so it's cold when I finish...

simple
    Also, if the OP wants a great all rounder mountain bike race I would recommend the following. The Firecracker 25/50, or Winterpark - King of the Rockies and Hermosa Creek down in Durango. Some of the Summit and Eagle series races rock also, but he best that I have ever personally done is the Squealer in Arizona. Sick technical climbing and downhilling, it is abusive!

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1942
    I'm looking for the ultimate all-around mountain bike race. Combing downhill and CC with technical climbs, maybe even some drops. Basically, a race that would challenge in many different aspects of mountain bike riding. No specializations!! I'm looking for a race to determine the best all around mountain biker. And no, it wont be me...

Does anyone know of something like that in Colorado/Utah?
    Nothing exists.

The original 'mountain bike race' turned into a bunch of whiners asking for their own version. So now, you have it all specific to the type of racing based on the bike or ride you want.

XC got easier and more cardio (There are no longer really good technical sections or hard downhills)
    DH made more fun going just down hill, but no more uphills... they complain about uphills
    DS and 4x... well, that's just very specific
    Trials.... yeah well...

Super D is the dumbest compromise I've seen. I've participated in many events. Running to your bike is just not something you normally do, and the DH is like a ghey xc down hill with a climb thrown in.... Boring!

What would be the ultimate race? Something that one particular bike wouldn't be perfect for. It would include:

Hard ass Technical DH (Like Jam Rock, Milky way, etc), with a nice hard ass climb (but about the same amount of ratio of time). Included in my vision would have three sections of trials like moves (you get off your bike, you get time tagged on). Dab here = 30 seconds extra time. Now that would be a REAL ALL mountain bike race.... none of this panzy-azz xc downhill crap. one technical climb, and again, if you get off and push, you get time added against you.

Nope, Norba's gone off and screwed up the original all mountain bike race... its now all categorized that doesn't really match a true all mountain day.

mtbr member
    Okay, I guess it's not out there. I checked the Firecracker and it's really an endurance race.

So where do we hold this race? Anyone in for getting together, racing, drinking a few beers? There is bound to be some laughing at how slow I am at each of the disciplines...

If Porcupine in Moab had a longer technical climb, it would be perfect. Still, that would be an interesting way to go. DR/MW?

Thread Terrorist
    Okay, I guess it's not out there. I checked the Firecracker and it's really an endurance race.

So where do we hold this race? Anyone in for getting together, racing, drinking a few beers? There is bound to be some laughing at how slow I am at each of the disciplines...

If Porcupine in Moab had a longer technical climb, it would be perfect. Still, that would be an interesting way to go. DR/MW?

I'd be game for this. I've thought about putting together a stage race of sorts... but has to be the same bike in every classifications... with exactly the same weight. So, ride up Falcon, we'll time it. Then we'll do a DH, and time that. Then we'll find some techy up's and down's, perhaps stage it with the best of three. Then do a trials section... Each Dab is a 30 second addition. Better have one hell of a trialsy DH/XC bike!

IE

Thread Terrorist
    a longer technical climb, it would be perfect. Still, that would be an interesting way to go. DR/MW?
    Not step and techy enough. Too many easy lines going around harder obstacles... but I like your line of thinking. I could rip that all day on a light-weight xc bike.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    The Firecracker course has a wide variety of types of climbing and descending. The technical parts are more steep, loose, rutted, rooted, baby head, type stuff and the one technical climb is pretty much the same. Not a lot in the big drop/ledge type stuff to that I'm thinking some here have in mind. The Breck 100 and the Fall Classic XC course are also course that require all around skills.

I did a time trial (not race) on slickrock back in the late eighties once. That was kind of cool.

Like some have said, There are XC races out there that require very solid all around bike handling skills, I know that the Summit County race series has several courses that have very technical climbing and descending. If you can't climb technical and if you don't have the skill to fly down steep, rocky, loose and rutted trails and roads, you won't do well.

All that said, IMO, non technical, big gear, hammering climbs, buff single track, and fire roads are also part of mountain biking. I would be pretty difficult to come up with a course that equally divided all those qualities from a time perspective. You could get really complicated and do a series of time trials using different styles of bikes, then come up with some kind of handicapping or time multiplication system that nobody would agree on, but that's probably a can o worms left un-opened.

It's just that over the last 10 years or so the whole DH/FR/stunt riding specialties have gone so far out there due to the equipment getting so specialized and the riders constantly upping the ante for bigger tricks and drops that it's gotten so far away from what most consider "normal" mountain biking that it's really apples and oranges comparing them.

simple
    I call BS on IE's knowledge of racing. Sorry dude you just are generalizing and not even close to accurate.

XC and DH racing has barely changed. People have just gotten faster, bikes much much better, and the courses have generally remained the same although in most cases shorter. Since they have gotten shorter the endurance race challenge has gotten more participants looking for the old school race format. Yeah stage races have gone the way of the dodo but you can blame that on promoters trying to squeeze more events with more classifications into one short weekend.

If you want a "race" that suits your needs but isn't a "race" then you are just better off hammering with your friends on your local trails.

Keep in mind XC races have to be on trails that can sustain dozens if not hundreds of people all at the same time. If it is super gnar technical then most of those people are going to be walking those sections once it gets too bunched up. Try racing Mt. Snow and you'll understand.

In order to do a gnar technical race you HAVE to do it as a time trail format. See downeville, the squealer, etc. If you have a small group you could do it with the Super D format with a sprint start.

I've got some ideas now but it will be no whiners allowed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 69erSycip

XC and DH racing has barely changed. People have just gotten faster, bikes much much better, and the courses have generally remained the same although in most cases shorter. Since they have gotten shorter the endurance race challenge has gotten more participants looking for the old school race format. Yeah stage races have gone the way of the dodo but you can blame that on promoters trying to squeeze more events with more classifications into one short weekend.

Don't know about XC, but in the last 8years DH courses have gotten DRAMATICALLY more technical. And the amateur competition has become very skilled in many classes, even Sport. Yeah, there were some techy courses a few years ago, but now it is becoming the norm.

Many of the courses in Colorado are downright scary at any speed, let alone race speed.

I would guess the advancement in suspension designs and increased participation has a lot to do with it.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not complaining. I love the direction DH racing is going. But you would definitely need mellower DH to attract the masses to an all-around race. The whining from the XC guys doing Super D at Angel Fire, was pretty annoying after a while. That Super D course was Bada$$.

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by 69erSycip
    I call BS on IE's knowledge of racing. Sorry dude you just are generalizing and not even close to accurate.

XC and DH racing has barely changed.

Wow, strong words from someone who has never met me. Sure, I don't know crap. I suppose all the racing I did from 88 to 94 was a figment of my imagination; and the fact that I was racing top in Expert class at the time was a lie. You're right, I don't know crap. I also don't remember being invited to the worlds in Vail back in the mid 90's, I don't remember participating in the first official norba dowhhill, and I don't know crap about competing in trials either, because the broken wrists, broken ribs during competition and practice again, were all just made up.

Participating and running races in the midwest during the full suspension infancy must be my imagination again! I dont' remember all these XC'er balking at the fact that a super techy downhill was just too hard, and it should be removed for safety reasons.

Please don't condemn my comments without basis or knowledge of my background, you just stepped on your own d!ck.

DH racing has changed a ton! It didn't know where it wanted to go along time ago. It started out as "Can you make it down the gnar without falling off", to DH on snow, to DH on fire roads, to finally settling in to where it is now.... which I love and participate in. Several people on this board know that I do compete and enjoy the DH Gravity Venue. Even movies like "seasons" talks about how DH started, and has become what it is today.

XC racing changed? yeah, I'd say it has to a point. I remember the days where we would intentionally route a section through some technical gnar (for the bikes of the day), and find the hardest climb to use as well.

And yeah, I've competed in the Super D, which is still figuring itself out. Sprinting to your bike is an effin joke, but I understand why they do it. Want to win Super D? be a good runner When we did the SD at Keystone during the G3 last year, it was harder than the normal SD. I remember the complaints coming from these "Pro xcer's"... they finished almost last as they got obliterated by DHers that know how to pedal.

But what was asked was an ALL Mountain bike race. I retain my opinions about what happened to racing in the day (and another reason I quit xc racing all together), but I would love to see the DH and XC and trials get combined... not compromised (like super D) or split up (which is still fun for all).

Why not have an ALL Mountain venue? Where we race down a True DH section and XC uphill? But why not throw in some technical stuff in there as well... oh, sorry, can't get off your bike and walk that section! Walk it, add 5 minutes. Ride it successfully, and you'll be rewarded for your bike skills.

So I guess my accuracy and experience is all made up... sorry ole wise one.

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by RickyD
    The whining from the XC guys doing Super D at Angel Fire, was pretty annoying after a while. That Super D course was Bada$$.
    waaaaaa.... someone call the waaaammmbulance!!!

"Its too hard, I might have to buy a different bike.... waaaaa... I can't win if its not my type of course...."

..and hence the reason I stopped doing this venue. The DHer's are just so much more a mellow crowd, working together to pin all sorts of spots and chill with a beer later as opposed to having a fight because someone wouldn't let another pass

Thread Terrorist
    So Who's in? I still wanted to get my Technical Gnar uphill competition going last year, perhaps we can add to it!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast