Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    !Vamos, flaco!

Air Quality: Should I Ride?

I was planning on riding home from work: Arvada to Longmont. My special lady friend is worried about the smoke in the air for me because of this: http://www.colorado.gov/airquality/advisory.aspx

Should I not ride home, or is this really no big deal?
    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

mtbr member
    No problem at all.

!Vamos, flaco!
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquidmantis View Post
    No problem at all.

Full squish with v-brakes? Rad.

mtbr member
    I live in Cheyenne, 50 miles north of Fort Collins. Yesterday evening the whole town was covered in haze. You could see it from ground level looking down the street. Very surreal.

mtbr member
    So this sounds like decent advice: "IF VISIBILITY IS LESS THAN 5 MILES IN SMOKE IN YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD DUE TO A WILDFIRE OR CONTROLLED BURN, SMOKE HAS REACHED LEVELS THAT ARE UNHEALTHY." I would guess you're south enough for it to be a non-issue. At least over here in Golden right now there's no sign of haze or scent of smoke.

mtbr member
    My office is on Colfax near Youngsfield up on a hill. I'm not sure about the air quality per se but I can clearly see thick haze throughout the Denver area which is not fog. Perhaps its not visible unless you are on higher ground. I can't even see downtown Denver.

!Vamos, flaco!
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquidmantis View Post
    So this sounds like decent advice: "IF VISIBILITY IS LESS THAN 5 MILES IN SMOKE IN YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD DUE TO A WILDFIRE OR CONTROLLED BURN, SMOKE HAS REACHED LEVELS THAT ARE UNHEALTHY." I would guess you're south enough for it to be a non-issue. At least over here in Golden right now there's no sign of haze or scent of smoke.
    Yeah, I figured I'd probably be ok in Arvada, but when I get closer to Longmont ... I don't know.

mtbr member
    Just pretend you're in Beijing or Hong Kong, on a really quiet day.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Longmont is nasty with haze and smoke smell.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pabs View Post
    Yeah, I figured I'd probably be ok in Arvada, but when I get closer to Longmont ... I don't know.
    Oops, time for more coffee. For some reason I originally read your commute as Arvada - Lakewood. Mama always said I was good for nothing.

mtbr member
    Our trails in SE Wyoming are filling up with Colorado people while this fire burns. Normally I get t'eed by seeing 80% green license plates at the trail head but this is an exception. Hope this contains itself fast so you can shred in Co again soon. Is Horsetooth state park ablaze too?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    It's nasty here in Westminster. Like standing next to a campfire. Visibility way less than 5 miles.
    Last edited by xcguy; 06-20-2012 at 04:53 AM.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    I rode into work this morning on the commuter and my eyes are still burning. I rode in from Santa Fe and Oxford to Cherry creek, so pretty far south. If I were you i would hold off today.
    Without rules, we all might as well be up in a tree flinging our crap at each other. Red Foreman - That 70's show.

mtbr member
    Its getting worse. I can no longer see Arvada from Lakewood. The foot hills in Golden and west of Arvada are difficult to see from Lakewood. I haven't been able to see Denver for a couple hours.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    I just picked the nastiest brown and bloody boogers out of my nose.

I
    99% of the problems and questions posted here would be answered if people actually walked into a bicycle shop and asked

mtbr member
    Didn't even smell it on my morning ride in Golden, got out of my car in Englewood and wondered who's grilling this early? Took a second before I remembered the fire.

Ride Everything
    Left Superior at around 6:45 this morning, and was in Boulder 50 mins later. Wasn't bad at all. Now it's really bad, though. Not looking forward to tonight's ride home.
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Well well well. The wind shifted and now there's not a bit of smoke in the air at my place in Westminster. Looks like a huge brown cloud is being blown back up north.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy View Post
    Well well well. The wind shifted and now there's not a bit of smoke in the air at my place in Westminster. Looks like a huge brown cloud is being blown back up north.
    I am in Cheyenne and it has been smokey here for the last two days. I could see haze at ground level yesteray...fifty miles north of the fire.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by xcghuy View Post
    I'll be sure to call 9 News for you on that.

Oh yeah, you don't ride a bike so the AQ shouldn't matter to you.

Pabs, just ride your bike. I just ran errands via pedaling and it's not bad at all in Bongmont.

mtbr member
    The winds must have shifted again. Now its very clear in the Denver area from what I can see.

friend of Apex
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

A guy on a bike Moderator
    I bike-commute in Fort Collins, and I've been staying off my bike since Sunday. While it sucks to sit around, I don't think that it's worth the lung damage to ride. I'm REALLY looking forward to cleaner air, although it could be a while...

mtbr member
    It seems fine in Arvada and the rest of the Denver area. Of course I'm just going off how it looks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast