Thread: Air Quality

mtbr member

Air Quality

With all the smoke, who's riding? Per the Colorado Dept Public Health,

"Active children, active adults, and those with respiratory illnesses such as asthma should reduce prolonged or heavy exertion between 1 PM and Midnight on Thursday and Friday."

After 5 years, I should be well versed in this smoke thing. Does that mean riding before 1pm is healthy? And can couch potatoes be active after 1pm without fear of hurting themselves??
    "Serves you right to suffer." -The Wife (after being 2 hours late)

flowcus
    FWIW, here's a site I've used to find the current air quality data:AIRNow - Homepage Just click on your location on the map. Often the current conditions differ than the previous day's air quality forecast (better or worse), so its good to check it out before a ride.

I generally follow the 5 mile rule. 5 miles visibility = good to go. Less than that, probably not a good idea. I use Horsetooth Mountain as my guide as it is almost exactly 5 miles from my house.
    Ok, here's the deal. I have a hangover. Who knows what that means?

A guy on a bike Moderator
    Thanks for the AIRNow link. I'd also been using the 5-mile rule, but the AIRNow site looks like a great source of complete information.

I've been riding around bad-air days too. It's messing with my training for the CTR, but I figure it's better to be slightly under-trained than to have soot-soaked lungs. Alas, I suspect that we're in for a long smoky summer.

mtbr member
    Whats confusing is the DPH says not to be active between 1pm-midnight. Not exactly a green light to ride at 6am, but doesn't say not to. The AirNow link appears to have the same rating all day long. Not sure which to go with...

5 mile rule is good.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    For safety's sake I'd recommend sitting on the couch drinking beer until this blows over.

flowcus
    Air quality can change drastically over time/distance especially with the fires we've been having, so I don't put a lot of stock in the forecasts and put more emphasis on what's going on outside. During the peak of the High Park fire, the air quality seemed to change quickly depending on wind direction and speed. I rode in dicey conditions yesterday because I really wanted to get outside, and just went at really non-Strava like pace.
    Ok, here's the deal. I have a hangover. Who knows what that means?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    For safety's sake I'd recommend sitting on the couch drinking beer until this blows over.
    This has been my M.O. this summer between the heat and the smoke. Must ride....

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by slcdawg View Post
    This has been my M.O. this summer between the heat and the smoke. Must ride....
    Hang in there... this too shall pass. Keep at the beer.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by slcdawg View Post
    With all the smoke, who's riding? Per the Colorado Dept Public Health,

"Active children, active adults, and those with respiratory illnesses such as asthma should reduce prolonged or heavy exertion between 1 PM and Midnight on Thursday and Friday."

After 5 years, I should be well versed in this smoke thing. Does that mean riding before 1pm is healthy? And can couch potatoes be active after 1pm without fear of hurting themselves??
    Give me a break. Just f'ing ride your bike.