contains quinine

Air Force Academy/Colo Springs Beta

Hello my Southernly Brothers & Sisters!

Gonna be doing some family camping on the USAFA campground with the extended family over the weekend and into next week. Since it's a family trip, I'll be looking to get away for an afternoon or two. Or three. It is family after all...

Trails on the Academy? Trails in town? I've ridden shockingly little down there - so what's not to miss if I can sneak away for a couple hours?

Thanks in advance!

D
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Are you staying at the Boy Scout Campground on the AFA or somewhere else? If you're at the Boy Scout Camp, the Falcon Trail literally starts next to your campsite (look for the opening in the fence and follow the trail down, under the bridge, back up and across the "Parade Loop" road). From there it is basically a 12 mile XC loop. You can ride it both ways--conventional wisdom is to ride it clockwise, but I much prefer CCW (more fun DH and easier climb that way).

Other than the Falcon Trail, you could hit the Santa Fe trail almost from your campsite too. It is basically a dirt road that you access right outside the North Gate and you can ride South to C. Springs or north to Palmer Lake. This would be a good choice for riding with kids since there isn't any tech.

If you are able to drive, head to Monument. The Mount Herman trails can be accessed from the trailhead at the intersection of Mt. Herman Rd and Nursery Rd. There are dozens of trails there that are surrounded by Mt Herman Rd and neighborhoods so it is hard to get lost there.

contains quinine
    Quote Originally Posted by kristian View Post
    Are you staying at the Boy Scout Campground on the AFA or somewhere else? If you're at the Boy Scout Camp, the Falcon Trail literally starts next to your campsite (look for the opening in the fence and follow the trail down, under the bridge, back up and across the "Parade Loop" road). From there it is basically a 12 mile XC loop. You can ride it both ways--conventional wisdom is to ride it clockwise, but I much prefer CCW (more fun DH and easier climb that way).

Other than the Falcon Trail, you could hit the Santa Fe trail almost from your campsite too. It is basically a dirt road that you access right outside the North Gate and you can ride South to C. Springs or north to Palmer Lake. This would be a good choice for riding with kids since there isn't any tech.

If you are able to drive, head to Monument. The Mount Herman trails can be accessed from the trailhead at the intersection of Mt. Herman Rd and Nursery Rd. There are dozens of trails there that are surrounded by Mt Herman Rd and neighborhoods so it is hard to get lost there.
    Looks like Peregrine Pines? "Family Camping?"

Thanks for the suggestions.
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    I rode Falcon Sunday, poached from the Sante Fe Trail. From SFT Hop on the gravel road leaving the Ice Lake trailhead and then turn left onto the paved road and ride up the road a couple of miles. Falcon starts at the Fire Station on the top of the hill.

EDIT: Nevermind.
    Saw your Peregrine Pines thing too late.
    Falcon is across the street from Peregrine Pines.