Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Advise on Moab's 5 "must do" trails

I was hoping to get some input on a list of "must do" trails in Moab. I am posting this here as I want a visitors perspective not a local Moab perspective. I have ridden slickrock before and will probably hit it again as I will be there for a week. My fitness isn't the greatest right now as the long winter here in Laramie has started to show on my belt notch selection but I want to sample all types of trails from scenic to ridiculously aerobic. I will either be on a StumpJumper FSR or a Nomad. I like trails with drops and fast, sketchy downhill sections so please suggest some of these as well. Thanks for the input.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    -The Whole Enchilada to Porcupine Rim
    -Amasa Back

i have chain issues
    For some good DH things, ask at a shop.

Rockstacker/Jackson down to Kane creek trailhead (ride up amasa) is good.
    Go out to Bartlett wash and screw around.

mtbr member
    Whole Enchilada - Not until July, best in September though. But Definitely a must do. Amasa, Portal, Poison Spider, just about everything is worth doing once.
    Catalina wine Mixer!

mtbr member
    Magnificent 7 (Haven't done the entire thing, but it seems amazing)
    Porcupine/UPS/LPS/Hazard
    Amasa Back
    Slickrock
    Soverign

Erik

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by brandonj1979
    Whole Enchilada - Not until July, best in September though. But Definitely a must do. Amasa, Portal, Poison Spider, just about everything is worth doing once.
    Did Whole Enchilada in late April last year, don't recall any issues due to the season.

slack jawed
    I will throw out Klondike Bluffs for a quick, easy, but scenic trail. I still get a kick out of seeing the dinosaur tracks on the way up to the top. And once at the top I enjoy relaxing inside Arches with a great view of the Moab valley before the trip down to the car. And with Baby Steps right off Klondike you can play in the area for hours.

My regulars are Klondike Bluffs, Sovereign, Amasa Back, and Pocupine Rim. I'll throw in Gemini Bridges and Slickrock every few trips.
    I've got nothing witty to say....

Big Boned
    Depending on how much snow is left, check out Fisher Mesa. It's up high (around 8000 ft) so it's different than the rest of the riding out there, and it has incredible views of Fisher Towers, Castle Valley and the La Sals.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Advise on Moab's 5 "must do" trails-lasal.jpg  

Never rub another man's rhubarb.

More Chasmism
    The "must do" list has changed a bit in the past few years. Here's how I'd rate it for someone coming to town, wanting the most "Moab" sampler. 1,2 & 3 are easy to name. 4 & 5 a bit tougher.

1) Whole Enchilada. Essentially, Porcupine from as high up as is possible.
    2) Mag 7. Newly legal. Start at 313 above Gemini. End with the Portal.
    3) Amasa -> Pothole -> Rockstacker ->Jackson's.
    4) Sovereign AM. Bartlett PM.
    5) Slickrock AM. Pipe Dream PM.

I can't recommend Deadhorse, Klondike, Brand Trails, etc. above these.

Others will differ, but I think that 1,2 and 3 are somewhat unanimous.

hfly

mtbr member
    When I was in Moab 2 weeks ago, there was quite a bit of snow from Kokopelli and up, so we were dropped off at the top of Porcupine Rim and made our way down from there. Still got about 16 miles in of trail total, just missed out on the 6 or so extra miles.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Coyote shuttles posted that the hole enchilada is open. I'll be there in two weeks.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Whole Enchilada: just be ready to share the trail with literally, and I'm not exaggerating, hundreds of your shuttle driven friends.

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Quote Originally Posted by ratmfreak99
    Coyote shuttles posted that the hole enchilada is open. I'll be there in two weeks.
    Where did you see that? They are saying that by Memorial Day they'll be dropping off by Hazard County. That's still a long way off from Burro Pass.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

Colorado
    I wouldn't listen to anyone who calls it "hole enchilada"...

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtOnTheBrain
    Did Whole Enchilada in late April last year, don't recall any issues due to the season.
    I doubt it, I bet you did part of the Whole Enchilada. You did not start at Burro Pass in April.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Amasa, Porcupine, & Sovereign are my "must do" trails every time we are out there. I just did Mag 7 and it was great, so I might add that to the list as well. We throw in Slickrock, Bartlet's, and others as we can. Slickrock would be a must do if you haven't done it before because it is so unique. It's not my favorite and wouldn't be a great fit for a long travel bike but many love it. You can't go wrong with any of these.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtOnTheBrain
    Sorry but you did the "half Enchilada" last year. (Which is still awesome!!) I was there the first week of May and they dropped us off at the top of Kokopelli. It was still muddy and I don't even want think what Hazard and Burro looked like.

Erik

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by hfly
    The "must do" list has changed a bit in the past few years. Here's how I'd rate it for someone coming to town, wanting the most "Moab" sampler. 1,2 & 3 are easy to name. 4 & 5 a bit tougher.

I can't recommend Deadhorse, Klondike, Brand Trails, etc. above these.

Others will differ, but I think that 1,2 and 3 are somewhat unanimous.

hfly
    Can't go wrong here. I had the best trip ever to Moab with #1-4 a few weeks ago. Definitely not riding "The WHOLE Enchilada" in April or May.

I'd say #5 (slickrock) is debatable, but the others are solid, and with the new singletrack additions to all of these trails, the riding in Moab has had a dramatic shift from mostly rough jeep roads to a majority of singletrack.

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by ratmfreak99
    Sure, it may be open, but is it dry? Nope. There is about 3 feet of snow on Burro pass. Hazard is a slush pit.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

Thread Terrorist
    Moab has definitely changed. Still fun, but dayam there are too many 'name your SUV type here' weekends.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Wouldn't the true "whole enchilada" mean pedaling up first?

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by hfly
    hfly
    Take a few beers to Bartlett. My friends and I call this the beer/sunset ride. Its a play ground. Make sure to do the "Super Bowl" and "Chute of Doom". Drink a beer and chill after.

This list above nailed it. If you've never been there before, you have to hit Slickrock. Do the practice loop, and if you want more, continue.

IE
    Golden Bike Park Group

Trestle Bike Park

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    Quote Originally Posted by kjbike
    Wouldn't the true "whole enchilada" mean pedaling up first?
    I thought the "True Whole Enchilada" included a bike up - a skin up the la sals- a ski down- then a bike down - then a paddle back to town. I believe i read this in a Mountain Flyer article?
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

mtbr member
    Can you guys give me a little more information on the new trail Pipe Dream? I know it is on the west side of town and you enter on Aspen Street?

Also is the Mag 7 open yet? I have heard some confilicting information regarding Bulls Canyon.

Erik

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Not all of Mag 7 was open when we were in Moab a little over a month ago. I'm not sure where Bulls Canyon falls on the trail route but I think it's the upper section of Mag 7 (which ties in just below 313) and it was not open then. The route that was open was pretty cool.

We got our Mag 7 info from the Chili Pepper, so you might check there. One of their guys was either involved in the trail building or friends with someone who was. Have fun.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast