I should be out riding
    Sep 2004

Advice - trail recomend. & bike rentals?

Hello,

I'm going to be in Denver this weekend, and am trying to squeeze in some riding. Any recommendations on how high one can go right now without hitting snow, and for any 'must do' or 'sampler' trails? We're XC riders from WA, just looking for a good taste of CO singletrack while we're there. Hoping the weather's good, looks like Sunday may be wet.

I'm also looking for (hopefully decent) bike rental options, not going to bring mine for a trip this short.

Thanks.

mtbr member

JeffCo Open Space has what you're looking for

Staying in the front range will keep you out of the snow. The epic mtn rides are officially closed for the season with last Sunday's storm. But the riding in Jefferson County is great. I'd recommend White Ranch near Golden if you feel like a challenge. You won't run out of trail there.

In the same (general) area, there's a bunch of other parks open to mtn bikes that are fun and challenging. Jefferson County build trails that all seem to start with a steep climb because they don't believe in warming up. Check out their web site for ideas-
    http://co.jefferson.co.us/openspace/...e_T56_R108.htm

A little further in the hills, you Buffalo Creek is a whole lot of fun. If you have more time to invest (both drive time and ride time) and weather isn't a factor, you should check that out. The trails there aren't as technical and rocky as the JeffCo trails but they're a blast
    http://www.imba.com/epics/buffalo_creek.html

Hopefully someone else has a bike rental recommendation for you.

Thread Terrorist
    Here's your itenerary...

Go to Golden Friday afternoon. Go to Golden Bike shop. Get a pair of nice rentals / Demo bikes. Go to Golden City Brewery after and plan for a great ride Saturday.

Saturday: Do Chimney Gultch to Apex, putting in random loops at Apex. reverse coming back. Option: Mathews Winters to Green Mountain, then back to Mathews winters. Go to Golden City for brews afterwards.

Sunday: weather may be iffy, take bikes back, buy some shwag. Head over to Woody's for Pizza and Golden City Brew.

mtbr member
    Indecent's recommendation of going to Golden Bike Shop on Friday is important- they're closed on Saturdays. (And isn't the Golden City Brewery closed on Sundays? Or is it that I just assumed they were so I never tried?)

The Dog.

Wheatridge

You can also demo a bike from Wheatridge. Their demo fleet is really nice. Just be waiting there when they open Saturday morning. Pick out your ASR or 575. Since the demo doesn't have to be back until the end of the next business day, you get both Saturday and Sunday (get it back before they close) for 100 bucks. Pretty sweet considering you can ride a nearly new 4000 dollar Yeti.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    White Ranch. Although you might encounter snow on the north shaded aspects up high.

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by hairylegs
    Indecent's recommendation of going to Golden Bike Shop on Friday is important- they're closed on Saturdays. (And isn't the Golden City Brewery closed on Sundays? Or is it that I just assumed they were so I never tried?)
    Yep, Golden Bike shop is closed Saturday's, and Golden City Brewery is closed Sunday.

Perhaps we have the seventh day recreational adventists!!! they're just confused as to which day!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    There are tons of tracks in golden. Dakota ridge, Matthew winters. My personal fav is Halls ranch in Lyons. Beginning is very technical but the later is fairly easy. You can find it on singletracks.com

I should be out riding
    Sep 2004
    Thanks for the info. Got some rentals lined up, and planning on Buffalo Creek on sat, maybe White ranch on Sunday. Should be nice since it's been raining all week here in Seattle.