Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42

    Advice please: Winter Park, Keystone, others?

    Which places have the best selection of XC trails? How about DH (haven't been to Keystone in 4 years, never been to Winter Park). I'm looking to do mosty XC training with some fun DH runs. Any info appreciated.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    crashes in parkinglot
    Reputation: EricTheRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,258
    Quote Originally Posted by Tcov
    Which places have the best selection of XC trails? How about DH (haven't been to Keystone in 4 years, never been to Winter Park). I'm looking to do mosty XC training with some fun DH runs. Any info appreciated.

    Thanks
    Keystone was amazing today. They've added alot even since 2 years ago, and done some pretty signifigant changes with in the last couple of weeks.

    The xc (blues and greens) are really fun, burms, small jumps, lots of baby heads. The DH stuff is great with a black diamond (or two) line and a go around line for most of the big stuff.

    Can't comment on WP been too long since i've been there.

  3. #3
    nice marmot.
    Reputation: upmtnsinbreck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    241
    peaks trail from frisco to breck. or breck to frisco if you prefer less climbing.

  4. #4
    Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Reputation: kristian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,543
    Quote Originally Posted by EricTheRed
    Keystone was amazing today. They've added alot even since 2 years ago, and done some pretty signifigant changes with in the last couple of weeks.

    The xc (blues and greens) are really fun, burms, small jumps, lots of baby heads. The DH stuff is great with a black diamond (or two) line and a go around line for most of the big stuff.

    Can't comment on WP been too long since i've been there.
    How was the weather?

  5. #5
    crashes in parkinglot
    Reputation: EricTheRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,258
    Perfect till about 3:30 - 4pm (at that time my hands were done anyway) Thor came in and was rather jelous that we were having some much fun on a weekday. Lightning then 5 second delay, loud thunder (don't remember how far that is but it was loud enough to make me concerned).

    I tagged along with Team Kosos (sp?) B.patterson and his crew. Great guys and great ridders.
    Quote Originally Posted by kristian
    How was the weather?

  6. #6
    Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Reputation: kristian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,543
    Quote Originally Posted by EricTheRed
    Perfect till about 3:30 - 4pm (at that time my hands were done anyway) Thor came in and was rather jelous that we were having some much fun on a weekday. Lightning then 5 second delay, loud thunder (don't remember how far that is but it was loud enough to make me concerned).

    I tagged along with Team Kosos (sp?) B.patterson and his crew. Great guys and great ridders.
    That's great! I'm even more sorry I didn't go now. How many runs did you get in?

  7. #7
    crashes in parkinglot
    Reputation: EricTheRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,258
    Quote Originally Posted by kristian
    That's great! I'm even more sorry I didn't go now. How many runs did you get in?
    4 or 5 and took a different route everytime. Took tnt/loggers for the first time in 2 years, they've added some cool stuff, but for the most part it is really rocky and loose with stutter bumps i like the newer additions better, motor head and what not.

    I was a good samaritan yesterday too, helped some folks from KS fix a flat (they rented and the tires were nearly bald, and there was a small flap of rubber in the middle of the tread that probably lead to the flat.

    Helped a kid (14y ish) from TX recover from a slight concusion(sp?) till the keystone medical people showed up. Then found his dad latter. Hope everything is OK with them. I'm not sure if he f'ed up or if his fork lowers decided they didn't want to be a part of the bike anymore but hit hard just a few feet after the small rock drop in Wild Thing.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Kaba Klaus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,673
    Quote Originally Posted by Tcov
    Which places have the best selection of XC trails? How about DH (haven't been to Keystone in 4 years, never been to Winter Park). I'm looking to do mosty XC training with some fun DH runs. Any info appreciated.

    Thanks
    I've hit both places this year. From a DH/FR perspective I would say Keystone has the more technical runs. Rougher and more stunts. As a DH warm-up or more beginner level Winter Park is perfect. Smooth trails and some stunts to practice on. But Winter Park has only one true DH trail. All other trails include some uphill or really pedally sections.

    Comparing both places it looks like Winter Park has a larger community of XC riders. At least it looked like that to me. They have a good selection of trails actually rideable (and fun) in both direction on an XC bike.

    Post your findings after the trip.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    660
    I'd echo the sentiments of others here with respects to the technicality of Keystone. Another choice might be Copper Mountain - similar to Winter Park in regards to how technical it is, but it's all downhill. Lots of criss-crossing the ski hill.

    Glenn D.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •