mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Advice on Leadville 100?

To make a long story short I'm on the comeback after a long and drawn-out battle with Crohn's Disease and I want to get my bike, and myself in shape for the LV100 in 2015. I've been MTB'ing since my early teens and even did a little competing in HS but nothing of this scale. Before I got sick it was no big deal for me to jump on a bike and ride from the base of the Peak 9 superchair in Breck up to the summit of Boreas Pass and back.

To get myself in shape where should I even start? Any suggestions on rides or training routines?

As for my bike it's a Specialized HardRock HT with V brakes. What are the most effective upgrades for a ride like this?

On a side note how hard is it to get in?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Your bike will be just fine! I would suggest some low rolling resistant tires and make sure you ride them well in advance of the race so you know how they will react. It's not easy to get into the race. As far as training goes......ride your road bike. There is a mile of singletrack on the way out and a mile of singletrack on the way back. Plenty of dirt roads, paved roads and jeep trails so don't worry about getting dirt miles for training.

Quote Originally Posted by cs641 View Post
    To make a long story short I'm on the comeback after a long and drawn-out battle with Crohn's Disease and I want to get my bike, and myself in shape for the LV100 in 2015. I've been MTB'ing since my early teens and even did a little competing in HS but nothing of this scale. Before I got sick it was no big deal for me to jump on a bike and ride from the base of the Peak 9 superchair in Breck up to the summit of Boreas Pass and back.

To get myself in shape where should I even start? Any suggestions on rides or training routines?

As for my bike it's a Specialized HardRock HT with V brakes. What are the most effective upgrades for a ride like this?

Thanks.

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by cs641 View Post

Thanks.
    Good onya for getting back. I have a couple good friends who have survived Crohn's and are both elite riders now.

In addition to cbrock's suggestions, I would recommend that you do some long rides this year. The Colorado Endurance Series has a number of dirt hundies. Free, all you need to do is sign up before the particular ride fills.

Even if you don't finish one, you'll get a bunch of confidence and have a good time.

I wouldn't mess with your bike until you know you need to. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. But given what that bike is, if it is broke, don't upgrade it. Save your pennies for a newer bike.

It's super hard to get into Leadville nowadays. You will increase your chances if you volunteer this year for the Leadville series events (100 bike, 100 run, Silver Rush, other thing I can't remember).
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Good advice here already but I would add in addition to long rides work in lots of climbing working up to sections with 1,000 foot elevation gain in 2-3 miles of road or trail.

If you stick with the current bike I would upgrade the brakes to disc - mechanical or hydro. V brakes work well enough but on long descents disc brakes will be less fatigue on your hands forearms.