mtbr member

Advice for family vacation to CO regarding DH

Hi Ya'll. We're a family of 4 with an 8yr old daughter and 10yr old son. We ride a fair amount, but in TX where there isn't anything like DH. Rough and technical here, yes, DH, no. So, we're going to spend a few weeks in CO at Winter Park and Steamboat Springs. I'd like to take my son, and maybe my wife and daughter on the lifts and take some of the green runs down. We don't have huge ambitions, just want to have some fun. Any advice? Especially protective gear. I can't buy hundreds of dollars of gear but will hopefully ride enough that renting will get crazy expensive too, so maybe a few key items? Or if we stay on the green will our normal XC gear be good enough?
    Work to Ride - Ride to Work
    There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing...

a dad
    Jan 2004
    are you renting bikes?
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by billybobzia View Post
    are you renting bikes?
    At first, no. If the green runs are too easy and my son wants to do more, then probably. We all have pretty reasonable bikes with disc brakes etc.

a dad
    Jan 2004
    my kids are 8 and 11. They rode winter park last summer and had fun. Green World is a top to bottom green run. My Daughter wished it was "less bumpy". She was on a Kona hardtail with bad front suspension but big tires. Next time I would like to get the kids FS bikes. The wore all the gear.

If you can plan on being there Wednesday and Friday for the twilight sessions (4-7) they have a deal that is $30 for lift ticket, bike and all the gear. Hopefully they will still be doing that this year.
    BBZ

mtbr member
    my kids are 8 and 11. They rode winter park last summer and had fun. Green World is a top to bottom green run. My Daughter wished it was "less bumpy". She was on a Kona hardtail with bad front suspension but big tires. Next time I would like to get the kids FS bikes. The wore all the gear.

If you can plan on being there Wednesday and Friday for the twilight sessions (4-7) they have a deal that is $30 for lift ticket, bike and all the gear. Hopefully they will still be doing that this year.
    That's a great deal! Thanks for the heads up on that, I'll keep an eye out for it.

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    I would say full-face helmets for the peeps you know are going to be riding more than one day. I think you can get decent ones for $60-ish, they will just be heavy. Knee and elbow pads are probably not necessary for this trip, and anything worth wearing (that wil stay in place) will be expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

mtbr member

About how many runs can you get in on a twilight session? I'm sure there are a lot of variables, but in general is it like 3, 5 or 10?

a dad
    Jan 2004
    with me and my kids.. 2 and they are done.. but 3 is possible..
    BBZ

adamant
    Sep 2006
    Trestle Bike shop at the base has rental gear for kids: gloves, elbow pads, leg pads, Fox tops, heck even Leatt neck braces. Def rent full-face helmet for the groms. Last year they had Kona bikes w/20 inch wheels and disc brakes for rent. Season pass for young kids is <$150 for biking + base activities (alpine slide, bungee jump, etc). Could be worth it if you plan on being in WP for a few days.
    Lots of kids age 7-12 ride Trestle park.