Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    mtbr member

Accident on Lookout Mountain

I went for a road ride up Lookout this evening since I wasn't sure the trails would be dry. A road cyclist was involved in a serious accident this evening on Lookout. I just missed witnessing the crash, however, it appeared the cyclist lost it coming down the switch back just before the straight away leading down to the Windy Saddle parking area. It did not appear any motorized vehicle was involved.

My thoughts are with the cyclist. When I passed the area a trooper and an ambulance had just arrived. The cyclist lay face down in the middle of the road in a pool of blood. A lot of blood was running down the street. A lot. The paramedics appeared to be talking to the rider. But the rider appeared to be convulsing.

Rather then gape at the scene I decided to walk around the scene and continue riding up the road to Buffalo Bills. Upon reaching the entrance to Buffalo Bill's, I found a county police officer and Jeffco open space ranger had closed the entrance to the rest area so a helicopter could be landed. Cyclists were being prevented from riding down Lookout. Motorists were also not allowed down.

The Jeffco Open Space ranger asked me and several other cyclists to prevent traffic from heading down the road while she and the police went to coordinate the landing of the helicopter in the parking lot at Buffalo Bill's. Within 10 minutes the ambulance came up with the cyclist and a helicopter landed. The road was then re-opened.

We have a thread about riding above your skill level. We also have a contentious thread contrasting road cyclists with mountain bikers. Seeing that cyclist in the road in that state had me thinking. Push yourself beyond your current skill level if you're so inclined. However, consider doing so in baby steps. I suspect the cyclist was going too fast through the switch back for his ability and began to loose it. This likely caused him to over correct and then he high sided.

I acknowledge that cyclists and mountain bikers have their differences. Some would say big differences. To me, mountain bikers seem to be more friendly. Really talented mountain bikers seem less likely to be elitist then very talented road riders. Mountain bikers seem to have a better sense of humor. Some would say mountain bikers have a greater affinity for adrenalin. Some would say mountain bikers have better technical skills.

I grew up on bikes. When I thought I'd never ride again due to injury I was devastated. Bikes have shaped my life. They lead me to Colorado from my native Chicago. Perhaps bikes mean as much to you as they do to me. Perhaps they mean as much to the road cyclist you pass by too. Perhaps we have that in common.

My thoughts are with that cyclist who I don't know.

mtbr member
    OP - well said.

It sucks to see any rider with serious injuries. It does not matter if you ride skinny tires or fat tires, 26" wheels or 29" wheels, wear spandex or baggies, ride with 10 sp or single speed.

Guess what? WE ALL LIKE TO RIDE BIKES!

There are @$$hats in all the categories listed above and I'm sure the forums will forever be filled with rants.

My thoughts are with the injured rider.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I like riding Lookout as a climb and would love to be able to go as fast (It's easy to get going really fast) as I wanted without traffic or gravel or parked cars or uphill traffic or....... Since that never happens I ride with plenty of room for error.

I hate seeing anyone hurt doing anything. It doesn't matter if I like or agree with the activity or not. It doesn't matter if I think they are hurt because they're over their head, or pulled a dumb maneuver or as too many seem to say, "got what they deserved". I hate to see or hear of anyone laying in a pool of blood.

mtbr member
    Well said, however there are those of us who enjoy riding on the road, in a tight and twitchy pack and who also relish riding singletrack. Perhaps that injured cyclist that you saw was just one such guy. May he survive and recover quickly.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I truly hate seeing people hurt...but you're drawing conclusions on too much in your post... especially about what you are guessing that happened and about them riding above skill levels without knowing or seeing them ride. Just because you fall hard doesn't necessarily mean you are above your skill level, crap just happens. If you want to be, or are a fast biker...falling is all part of it...and it can all be potentially deadly during every single fall. We have to deal with that.

I really hope he turns out all right...and at the worst...is still alive. Thank you for the update on what you saw.

Pivot Rider
    Very well said, gearwhine! I dare say that there are many of us who ride both road and mtn. Although we may prefer mountain over road, you willl see us on those skinnys on occasion. All it takes is for a tube to blow, or a bit of gravel to cause you to slide out, or.... you just don't know and it has nothing to do with riding above your skill level. Things. Just. Happen.

My thoughts go out to this cyclist and I hope he is back in the saddle quickly. Thanks OP for the report!
    Dirt Divas website l Twitter: @thedirtdivas l Facebook

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsnotfour View Post
    I acknowledge that cyclists and mountain bikers have their differences.
    the last time i checked, people riding mountain bikes were cyclists

the pigeon-holing and stereotyping of different cycling disciplines are sad conclusions that can be drawn by any media zombie who listens to people who are sellling that particular brand of bovine void

it's just riding a bike, not rocket science

Rigid in Evergreen
    Quote Originally Posted by KarateChicken View Post
    the last time i checked, people riding mountain bikes were cyclists

the pigeon-holing and stereotyping of different cycling disciplines are sad conclusions that can be drawn by any media zombie who listens to people who are sellling that particular brand of bovine void

it's just riding a bike, not rocket science

I concur. The OP should have stopped while he was ahead, but no, we can't be spared the obligatory "the injured road rider was probably just riding above his head and mountain bikers are nicer people who have better technical skills" blast. I'm guessing he didn't even realize what he did, but that's sort of the problem.

I was out on my road bike today and there was a lot of gravel on the road from the rain which makes things a bit more "technical" than normal from a skinny tire perspective. You don't really think about it at the time, but there are a lot of things that can go wrong (some in your control and many that are not) when you're spinning out your big gear at 40+ MPH and preparing to brake for an upcoming turn, regardless of whether you've ridden the route a hundreds times or not.

Hopefully the downed rider survives and recovers... I'm hoping that it's good news that there is not a story on the local news about the accident yet.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Sounds like a bad accident, kind of a wake up call to be more careful, hope he will be OK.

mtbr member
    Perhaps I was saying, like the old Hill Street Blues show, "Let's be careful out there." I'm not an EMT. There wasn't anything I could add to the situation so I felt it disrespectful to gawk at possibly a dying person and I don't see the reason for the harsh attitudes toward our fellow bike riders.

mtbr member
    Sounds like a bad accident. I sure hope everything turns out OK. I live in Golden and ride Lookout fairly often; it's my I've-got-an-hour-to-get-in-a-quick-ride option. I was descending Lookout last week and noticed that there is a lot of pebble-sized gravel in the Apex of the turns. It was enough that I backed off the speed significantly. My friend and I were talking afterward and we both commented that it felt like perhaps it had been down on purpose, maliciously. I don't know if the rocks in the apex of the turn were a contributing factor in this accident, but it might be worth mentioning to county officials.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Reporterkyle View Post
    Sounds like a bad accident. I sure hope everything turns out OK. I live in Golden and ride Lookout fairly often; it's my I've-got-an-hour-to-get-in-a-quick-ride option. I was descending Lookout last week and noticed that there is a lot of pebble-sized gravel in the Apex of the turns. It was enough that I backed off the speed significantly. My friend and I were talking afterward and we both commented that it felt like perhaps it had been down on purpose, maliciously. I don't know if the rocks in the apex of the turn were a contributing factor in this accident, but it might be worth mentioning to county officials.
    I wondered the exact same thing yesterday. My impression was that it was done on purpose by someone trying to make a point to bikers and/or skaters. It just seemed too consistent throughout the whole route. I hit one of those small rocks and it momentarily jacked with my balance.

not actually bad :)
    I did a Chimpex loop last week and when I hit the road at Windy Saddle there was a city worker hand sweeping the corner right there at the Windy Saddle lot. There was a lot of gravel there and he said the city had gotten a lot of calls from roadies complaining about it.
    So, he actually sweeps it fairly often.

I hope the rider involved in the crash is OK.
    Old Codger

mtbr member
    I think the heavy rain is more likely the reason.....I was up there yesterday on a road ride as well and saw the life flight.....I hope the person involved is okay.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I rode centennial cone yesterday and there were some rocks the size of grapefruits all over the trail. I am guessing it's the same scenario as lookout, heavy rains washing debris into the trail and road

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Sad to hear.

I would echo the sentiments of others and note that I myself have had close calls on Lookout because of the gravel, and have even hit pieces of slate out in the road coming down the I-70 service road. Once at 45 mph, knocking both hands off the bars and the stem into my chin. Even hit a red house brick in the shoulder while coming down 285 one time. I'm lucky to be alive. (Gee I wonder how that brick got there?)

There are so many variables on the road. It could have even been a hit and run driver. Only one person knows, and he probably won't remember from the sound of it.

On a side note, I would just say that after sitting on a bus and touring roads with elected officials last week, I am in no way reassured that our safety is a concern to these folks. For fear of loosing my job, that's all I'll say about what I heard come out of some peoples mouths last week. It was disgusting.

Take that for what you will. The reality is that you're "on your own" the second you sling a leg over the top tube. Ride at your own risk. Expect deadly obstacles around every corner. Be prepared for the unexpected. Survive to ride another day. Sadly, nobody else cares about your safety on the road, or trails now so it seems, but you.

UT

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Exactly. I ride a street motorcycle and many people tell me that they want to get one and ask me for advice. I tell them to make sure you understand that everyone is out to kill you on the road. Somewhat of an exaggeration but that is how I treat every car on the road. Once you start assuming people see you or are looking out for you then you can get yourself into trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleTrail View Post
    Sad to hear.
    Take that for what you will. The reality is that you're "on your own" the second you sling a leg over the top tube. Ride at your own risk. Expect deadly obstacles around every corner. Be prepared for the unexpected. Survive to ride another day. Sadly, nobody else cares about your safety on the road, or trails now so it seems, but you.

UT

ACC
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Edit -- reading comprehension fail....

The only thing I can take from this is expect the unexpected; ride as safe as you can.
    Last edited by ACC; 06-22-2011 at 01:55 PM.

rubber side down
    Quote Originally Posted by ACC View Post
    Sadly, he did not make it. RIP. http://www.denverpost.com/obituaries/ci_12867649

The only thing I can take from this is expect the unexpected; ride as safe as you can.
    Uh. that obit was from July of '09.

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by russman View Post
    I was about to say...
    I remember that one, I was there in Golden when it happened.

UT

mtbr member
    Still, I hope he's RIP.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleTrail View Post
    <snip>
    UT
    This is exactly how I approach riding my bike... especially on my work-commute. I avoid roads like the plague. I'm fortunate in that I don't have to get on any major roads on my route... and to be honest, I probably wouldn't commute if I had to.

Dude...
    I ride Lookout a lot, and I've noticed that after they re-paved, they put a lot of road base/gravel along the sides of the road to bring the level up. Since that time, it seems a lot of that road base makes it's way onto the road. Cars pulling off, then kicking up the gravel as they pull back onto the road and heavy rains I assume are the culprit. I doubt anyone did that on purpose since every switchback is covered in it. Definitely scetchy coming through the turns now. I'm not sure why they couldn't of just paved the extra foot on either side of the road...especially with the amount of cycling that takes place. Hope the rider will be OK

rubber side down
    Quote Originally Posted by jugdish View Post
    Still, I hope he's RIP.
    me too!

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ACC View Post
    The only thing I can take from this is expect the unexpected

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I'm certain that the wonderful person you saw yesterday was my co-worker and friend.
    He is a very experienced rider.

The people that he was riding with have no idea what happened to him. And we probably never will.

He is in ICU, in a very bad state. Please pray for him and his family.

He is an avid bicycle and motorcyle rider that takes every procaution. We are all shocked by his accident and cannot imagine what lies in store for him, his family, and us.

He served his country proudly in Afghanistan and Iraq. A co-worker once said that 'He is a friend to everyone' and that is no stretch of the imagination.

Every day I saw him he was happy and proud to be here in the USA

please don't judge --- just pray for us and his family

mtbr member
    Thank you very much for giving us an update. It might sound trite but I was affected by the idea that I may never know what became of him. I also want to clarify a few things. Sometimes its difficult to succinctly and clearly convey one's thoughts in a post to a forum such as this.

While yesterday's events caused me to contemplate the thread on this forum about riding above one's limits, I actually was not assuming that the rider in this accident was riding above his abilities nor that his abilities were low. I was simply reminding of the post about riding above one's abilities and thinking about the prudence of being careful. I now understand that my thoughts as I wrote them may have been interpreted as if I was being accusational. That was not my intent.

The other concept which may have been misconveyed on my part or misinterpreted by readers was the idea that I hold road cyclists in low regard or don't consider mountain bikers cyclists, or think road cyclists lack skill. Quite the contrary. In recent years I have done more road biking then mountain biking so I identify heavily with road riding. I was saddened to read that other post regarding the cyclist killed by the trucker because, to me, much of that thread seemed to blast road cyclists. In my mind participants in the two disciplines, road and mountain, have more in common then many seem to think. I do, however, perceive differences between the two communities. Perhaps, I didn't convey my thoughts as well as I would like to have. However, I was attempting to highlight that while some may perceive differences between the two communities, we have more in common then many might realize.

My thoughts continue to be with this cyclist. I truly hope for the best in the most sincere way.

rubber side down
    Quote Originally Posted by coworker View Post
    just pray for us and his family
    Will do.

MFin' Princess
    Will do.
    Here too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    thank you.
    there are so many feelings that are wrapped around our friend being hurt -- we have no idea what happened. our co-worker came around the corner and found our friend in the middle of the road. can you imagine how that would feel? I cannot.

I am so saddened by his accident. There are so many questions. He is so loved.

I ride a motorcycle as does my friend. I typically ride above my ability -- pushing my limit --I'm sure you know the thought process of mortality. Last night when my friend was in ICU, I was filling out my Five Wishes (the paperwork one should fill out so that if they end up in this very condiditon their wishes are carried out). sigh.....

have you thought of that and filled out the paperwork? if not, you should

thanks for giving people your first hand view of last night.

mtbr member
    Gods speed to all! My prayers to all.

mtbr member
    Slightly related topic....if a rider wants to put together a will and living will with healthcare directives without spending a lot of money on an attorney, Legal Zoom might be an inexpensive option to consider. I'm not affiliated with the company but that is where I constructed my will and directives.

mtbr member
    My thoughts and prayers to the family and the rider. Hope it comes out for the better!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by coworker View Post
    I am so saddened by his accident. There are so many questions. He is so loved.

I think this touches a nerve for a lot of us. Just know that we're all pulling for him.

Despite the superficial and immature "us vs. them" swagger on this forum, it's important to take these moments and remember that we're all out there to enjoy the outdoors, get some exercise, be inspired, and have a thrill or two in our own way. Enjoy every moment.

Pivot Rider
    For those of us who have been in super bad cycling accidents (road or mtn), knowing that your friends and family are there is so important. Having the support of your community is wonderfully uplifting. I know that I was extremely thankful and blessed with the love and support that I received. I sincerely wish a speedy recovery for your friend/coworker. Lots of healing thoughts are going his way!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

He made it through the night!!

Thank you for all of your thoughts and prayers. Our co-worker and friend has made it past a critical point.

He has many injuries, broken ribs, punctured lung, broken collar bone, and of course massive head injuries.

The doctors hope to have him out of his coma by the weekend.

His brother and father are flying to town to be by his wife's side.

Thank you again -- keep the positive thoughts coming.

mtbr member
    Glad to hear he made it past a critical point.

If you are up to it, please keep us up to date on your friends progress.

Marcia

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    We are all hoping and praying for the best, and knowing as friends we have our work cut out for us. He is a stubborn German and we believe that and the love for his wife will be on his side!

My friend riding with him that day said there was a fantastic woman, Elizabeth, that got down on the road talking to our friend telling him he could make it and that help was on the way. I hope by chance she finds this site and we can tell her THANK YOU, from all of us.

It amazes me how great people can be when they need to step up and help, from directing traffic, to offering payers. The human spirit is awesome. That is exactly how my friend would be in a time of need.

Thank you all.
    Last edited by coworker; 06-26-2011 at 07:03 PM.

mtbr member
    I am glad that the injured cyclist is doing better. He has a long recovery before him, and I wish him well.

Perhaps all of us can take a few lessons from this?

- The roadie that you sneer at could be the mountain biker that passed you on the trail yesterday. Many of us ride both mountain and road. So remember when you disparage roadies as being elitist, rude or dressing funny, then go on about how cool, laid back, humorous and friendly mountain bikers are, many times you are talking about the SAME PEOPLE.

- Lots of people read these forums, and some of them could be (like coworker) a friend or family member of the person fighting for their life after an accident. Be sensitive, or least courteous enough to not speculate or point fingers about the incident if you don't know the details. Seriously, the appropriate post is "this is what I saw: ______ ; I hope the victim is OK".

- No matter how skilled you are, accidents can happen to anyone at any time. I have an acquaintance, a strong rider with many years of experience, who is recuperating from a broken leg. He stalled out on a waterbar climbing Mt Falcon, and fell down the hillside. He has ridden that trail scores of times. Was he riding above his skill level? I'd say not. I myself had a ridiculous crash on Green Mountain, on a smooth trail, due to a poorly timed lapse of attention. I wasn't riding above my skill level, either. Stuff happens.

I've ridden down Lookout Mtn on my bike a few times. No doubt you have too. Just because we haven't crashed yet, doesn't mean it couldn't happen next time.

Let's all be careful out there...
    I drank the 29er koolaid- turns out it was POWERade

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I would hope there is always a lesson to learn, including my friends that I ride motorcycles with.

They complain about cyclists on a regular basis. I hope they will think of our friend when they pass those on bikes and pass judgement. As Scrambler said, we are all out to do the same thing. Can't we all just get along?

Don't judge, look out for each other and yourself, relax and have fun. That's what it is all about.

mtbr member
    Good vibes heading your way.... May all go well!

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Hope he recovers well. Sounds like a head injury? That's so tough - there are so many variables involved. All the best.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    Hope he recovers well. Sounds like a head injury? That's so tough - there are so many variables involved. All the best.
    Post #36:

He has many injuries, broken ribs, punctured lung, broken collar bone, and of course massive head injuries.

friend of Apex
    ICU = horrible

Friends and fam visiting = fuggin sweet

Take care of your co-worker friend by being there. I certainly wish him the best.
    Hope your company has a good medical plan.
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

hospital visit

Went to see my friend today.

I said 'Good Morning Dammit' in true fashion of how we greeted each other every day...no smile this time though. He is still unconscious.

The RN said he was never in a medically induced coma. She said he had been sedated to keep him calm and resting. She also said there has been no change in his status. Being the positive glass-half-full-person, that is good that it hasn't gotten worse.

He is now off of those meds and they are waiting for him to wake up, which he will do on his own time. It could take a week, it could take three, it could take 6 months. Brain injuries are so very different by individual and incident. His RN said she was riding her bike to see a friend at lunch time, a close little ride and she was hit by a car. She was thankfully ok - but a true reality check from someone who sees accidents everyday. Wear your helmet.

They are going to do an MRI to check his brain and his neck. If his neck looks good they will take the collar that is protecting it right now. She said that while they can look at a scan and possibly predict his outcome, it will take him being awake to know what will happen next.

Brother will be here Tuesday. His wife is there every day. God Bless Her.

Get better bud -- we are all pulling for you and we miss your smiling face.

Thread Terrorist
    Thank you for the update. We're sending on healing vibes!
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Mri....

Shows no good news, mimimal improvement expected.
    Brother and wife came to work to pack up his office.
    A numb silence.
    So fuggin sad.
    I will not give up on him
    We will fight together.
    As he did as a soldier.
    As an American
    As a man
    As a husband
    I will not give up!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    thank you coworker for the updates and the commitment to your friend. please pass our thoughts along to the family and let them know of the community praying for them all.

Pivot Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by dlcrow View Post
    thank you coworker for the updates and the commitment to your friend. please pass our thoughts along to the family and let them know of the community praying for them all.
    +1 ^^^ This is so sad to hear. We all will continue to keep your friend in our thoughts! Please let us know if anything changes. I admire you dedication to your friend. I repeat what dlcrow has said -- please let his family know that our community has been sadden by this turn of events and wishes everyone strength in this difficult time.

starladear
    Feb 2004
    Wow, that's sad.. You are a good friend. Keep us posted as we all tame our perceived immortalness and good luck to his family and friends. Be safe

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast