Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Resident Gear Head

Abandoned vehicle in Limbaugh Canyon

Rode Mt. Herman to FS 715 through Limbaugh canyon. Three miles in we found this

No idea how they got it in there or how long it has been sitting. It's pure singletrack all around. There was a phone number covering the vin and everything was locked. Anyone know anything about this?
    2 Hands Working Do More Than 1000 Hands Praying

mtbr member
    That's 715 downhill from the intersection with Mt Herman Road along the creek where the powerline runs?

That's quite a trick getting a jeep in there. Whoever owns it, I'm sure they haven't forgotten about it.
    You could try calling the phone number you saw on the dash.
    Or you could report the License plate number to the cops.

I was going to go there today but had my doubts about the trail conditions. How were they?

Resident Gear Head
    It's right in the creek, at a spot where we had already made 3 creek crossings with our bikes. It's North from Mount Herman Road. I have a GPS track but didn't pinpoint the exact location, I just know that it is 3 miles in from the start of my track. I am going to leave the forest service a message about it and see if they call back. Not sure what they do with stuff like this. Tried to call the number, left a voice message.

Trail conditions are good. There is a few inches of snow on the trail that is shaded, some early switchbacks, but going through the meadow is all in the sun and dry.

mtbr member
    North? Now I'm confused. Where did you start?

Resident Gear Head
    We parked at Nursery and Mt Herman road. Road Mt. Herman road south until we turned right onto 715, heading north through Limbaugh canyon, which is on the west side of Mt. Herman. Looks like they may have been on Balanced Rock Road which looks like it stops just west of where we found the Jeep

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by provin1327 View Post
    We parked at Nursery and Mt Herman road. Road Mt. Herman road south until we turned right onto 715, heading north through Limbaugh canyon, which is on the west side of Mt. Herman. Looks like they may have been on Balanced Rock Road which looks like it stops just west of where we found the Jeep
    Ok I got ya. But its about 5 miles from nursery road to where you start 715 isn't it? Or do you mean 3 miles from where you turned on to 715?

Balanced rock road - I was thinking that also. Its going to be ***** getting that thing out of there. I'll probably ride there tomorrow. I'll post if its still there.

MTBR Contributing Editor
    It's right in the creek, at a spot where we had already made 3 creek crossings with our bikes. It's North from Mount Herman Road. I have a GPS track but didn't pinpoint the exact location, I just know that it is 3 miles in from the start of my track. I am going to leave the forest service a message about it and see if they call back. Not sure what they do with stuff like this. Tried to call the number, left a voice message.

Trail conditions are good. There is a few inches of snow on the trail that is shaded, some early switchbacks, but going through the meadow is all in the sun and dry.
    So it's in the creek just before you ride up into the main Limbaugh meadow with all the Aspens? We'll (FOMP - local trail group) contact the FS and/or LEO on this issue.

MTBR Contributing Editor
    Abandoned vehicle in Limbaugh Canyon-limbaugh.jpg

It's a long way from anything resembling a road. I think the red circle sounds about right for the abandoned jeep?

Resident Gear Head
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    Or do you mean 3 miles from where you turned on to 715?
    Correct.

Quote Originally Posted by pastajet View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	limbaugh.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	124.2 KB 
ID:	840270

It's a long way from anything resembling a road. I think the red circle sounds about right for the abandoned jeep?
    I think it's a bit farther in than that. We had already ridden through the meadow and were just entering the trees when we found it

MTBR Contributing Editor
    If anyone goes up there on Sunday and its still there, be sure to get the license plate number. You can PM the number. Thks.

Resident Gear Head
    The owner returned my phone call and let me know the Jeep is out of there. He took a wrong turn Friday night and somehow ended up down there, someone slashed his tires today, I hope it was no one from the mtb community.
    Last edited by provin1327; 10-19-2013 at 08:24 PM.

Candlestick Maker
    The owner returned my phone call and let me know the Jeep is out of there. He took a wrong turn Friday night and somehow ended up down there, someone slashed his tires today, I hope it was no one from the mtb community.
    A wrong turn? Yeah, right!

Basically coming down that horrendous hike-a-bike from Balanced Rock Road is the only way I can see getting in there...Getting the Jeep out of there must have been a nightmare. Hopefully there wasn't too much damage to the trails.
    baker

kgm
    mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Getting it out was probably as much fun as getting it in there =]

I think I can.
    Ill be up there today and will post follow up. My guess is he came down of Mt Herman rd around 320 and came down the old rd till he got so lost he gave up.
    hope he can get it out but flat tires make this situation worse

Dam,
    Bikes are FUN

Loser
    Mar 2008
    What does slashing the guys tires accomplish? I don't understand people sometimes.

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by MCS5280 View Post
    What does slashing the guys tires accomplish? I don't understand people sometimes.

Scumbags!
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden

I think I can.
    Ok here is a more accurate picture. How he got there, driving east on balanced rd it ends at upper reservoir, probably tried to get back palmer lake. Still thinking there was a way to get to town he turned onto 715 and dropped down to limbaugh where he flattened 2 tires on the rough rocky decent. He returned to his car yesterday with a winch and tires, got the jeep out as it was gone. The tire story was repeated by 2 hikers who spent the night up the canyon and talked to the owner yesterday. Expensive mistake that's for sure

Dam,
    Bikes are FUN

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOEMTBR COLORADO View Post
    Ok here is a more accurate picture. How he got there, driving east on balanced rd it ends at upper reservoir, probably tried to get back palmer lake. Still thinking there was a way to get to town he turned onto 715 and dropped down to limbaugh where he flattened 2 tires on the rough rocky decent. He returned to his car yesterday with a winch and tires, got the jeep out as it was gone. The tire story was repeated by 2 hikers who spent the night up the canyon and talked to the owner yesterday. Expensive mistake that's for sure
    That sounds about right. I was there today. Its obvious where he got stuck because the douche nozzle really tore up the trail around there. But surprisingly, there is not that much damage to the trail leading up to it. There are some signs of scraped trees and smashed down grass, but overall if you weren't looking for it you wouldn't see most of it. It almost looks like that jeep was dropped in by helicopter. I looked briefly up that connector trail to Palmer Reservoir, and it didn't look like a jeep had driven through there.

Resident Gear Head
    It almost looks like that jeep was dropped in by helicopter.
    This is exactly what we said when my friend and I saw it. The only sign of trail use was in front of the Jeep for about 6 feet where he spun his tires a bit. I do a lot of 4wheeling in my Jeep and I have no clue how he got it in or out but I am glad it's out

mtbr member
    The coolest thing I saw today was not on my ride but on the drive to my ride. Believe it or not this moose was right at the exit ramp at I-25 and Tomah Road.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Abandoned vehicle in Limbaugh Canyon-sam_0038.jpg  

My leg feels funny
    Quote Originally Posted by MCS5280 View Post
    It makes sure the guy can't get out without someone else driving in now. Before there was a chance he could have hiked in and figured out how to get the car out on his own but I guarantee you there's no way someone is going to hike 4 tires down to it.

Resident Gear Head
    Take it from an experienced 4x4 and Jeep enthusiast, there was no way that bare bones stock Jeep was getting out on it's own power. If the tires were slashed it was because someone said to themselves "what a dick, going off trail, driving where he shouldn't, **** him" and then proceeded to slash his tires to send him a message

mtbr member
    Take it from an experienced 4x4 and Jeep enthusiast, there was no way that bare bones stock Jeep was getting out on it's own power. If the tires were slashed it was because someone said to themselves "what a dick, going off trail, driving where he shouldn't, **** him" and then proceeded to slash his tires to send him a message
    Am I the only one who sees the irony here?
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    It almost looks like that jeep was dropped in by helicopter.
    Lucky he didn't need a helicopter to get it out. I've heard of bozos driving motor vehicles into places they aren't supposed to be, getting stuck for whatever reason, and abandoning them. This happens more than you might think with snowmobiles in designated wilderness. The FS then tracks them down and tells them they have to remove their litter and the only way to do it is with a helicopter.

Helicopters that can pick up full sized motor vehicles are very expensive.

mtbr member
    I've been on a business trip so haven't had a chance to post these, but here is some of the damage done:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Abandoned vehicle in Limbaugh Canyon-sam_0058.jpg  

Abandoned vehicle in Limbaugh Canyon-sam_0059.jpg  

Abandoned vehicle in Limbaugh Canyon-sam_0060.jpg  

Abandoned vehicle in Limbaugh Canyon-sam_0061.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast