Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Aaarrgghhh.

locked - time out

Aaarrgghhh.

It's a sad state of affairs when you cannot get one decent photo out of 15 or so (taken with a nice camera at that) - I don't get how you photog types do it, I guess it might help if I sat down and actually read up on how to operate the camera correctly. Anyhow, I told a couple people that I'd post these once I got them, unfortunately they fail to capture much of the event, but I figured I'd stick a few up since I said that I would...
    Attached Images Attached Images

locked - time out
    Three more - view from the top, view of Wes standing in the landing, and a side view of Wes hitting the drop.
    Last edited by s1ngletrack; 12-20-2004 at 12:32 PM.

Stand back

I get the idea

but these look like they were taken with your camera phone...

And you're landing down where it looks smooth/ packed? That's a good drop.
    Maybe I should make that my goal while I'm off - find and go thru the instruction book for my digital camera. Seems all too often I'm having trouble w/ the flash and what's in focus/ what's not.
    Thanks again for the video loan. Got thru all the videos except the kayak one so far. Funny how my favorite music out of all them is from Chain Reaction I - does that mean I'm old?
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

eci
    damn that looks nice i cant wait to get my bike back(shawn is borrowing it for his trip to pa) I will gladly show ya how to get good pics with your camera, prolly just a setting we need to switch

locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser
    but these look like they were taken with your camera phone...

And you're landing down where it looks smooth/ packed? That's a good drop.
    Maybe I should make that my goal while I'm off - find and go thru the instruction book for my digital camera. Seems all too often I'm having trouble w/ the flash and what's in focus/ what's not.
    Thanks again for the video loan. Got thru all the videos except the kayak one so far. Funny how my favorite music out of all them is from Chain Reaction I - does that mean I'm old?
    Not sure, but I must be old too if that's the case. How's the knee?

The funny thing is that these were taken with an $800 Canon that Wes bought for work - I'm pretty sure that it's a matter of learning how to use the thing correctly. I've always enjoyed looking back at photos of past rides and it kind of stinks when they are all blurry, oh well...next time. You can see where we were landing in a couple of shots, it's all packed. You can also see tire marks from the first couple of times we rolled it - I think that rolling it is scarier than dropping it, strangely enough.

locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by snowskilz
    damn that looks nice i cant wait to get my bike back(shawn is borrowing it for his trip to pa) I will gladly show ya how to get good pics with your camera, prolly just a setting we need to switch
    That would be sweet, I'd be willing to bet that you're right about the camera setting. You're a trusting soul, loaning a bike for a trip across the country, you'll have to get in touch when it gets back.

Stand back

speaking of blurry

Quote Originally Posted by s1ngletrack
    Not sure, but I must be old too if that's the case. How's the knee?

The funny thing is that these were taken with an $800 Canon that Wes bought for work - I'm pretty sure that it's a matter of learning how to use the thing correctly. I've always enjoyed looking back at photos of past rides and it kind of stinks when they are all blurry, oh well...next time. You can see where we were landing in a couple of shots, it's all packed. You can also see tire marks from the first couple of times we rolled it - I think that rolling it is scarier than dropping it, strangely enough.
    Here's a pic taken a couple days ago. I think taking it in front of the mirror was a bad idea.

It's killing me that you guys are still progressing while I'm stuck here. And to think I usually am burnt out on mtb and maybe only ride 1 or 2x in December/ January. Aaahh, just so long as I get to start hitting that stuff come May.... I should be in good road bike shape as early as March, tho, in case anybody wants to do some road rides.
    Golden Bike Park

locked - time out
    Here's a pic taken a couple days ago. I think taking it in front of the mirror was a bad idea.

It's killing me that you guys are still progressing while I'm stuck here. And to think I usually am burnt out on mtb and maybe only ride 1 or 2x in December/ January. Aaahh, just so long as I get to start hitting that stuff come May.... I should be in good road bike shape as early as March, tho, in case anybody wants to do some road rides.
    Road riding is about the only "real" riding I have been doing (except for Palmer last week) lately. There's snow all over up here in Evergreen, and with the days so short, the only rides I can do are lunch rides - which means that much of my time is spent on the road. I did manage to get 120 miles in the week before last though, which is pretty significant for me. I wanted to get out today before it gets cold, but riding in 50mph gusts usually just makes me more angry than anything, so I might have to skip it. I'll definately be down for some road rides in March - I plan to race this year and might actually try to be in racing shape when the season rolls around.

Not just famous; infamous

Some tips

Use faster film. That's how us old guys do it

You'll need to crank up the ISO speed (if possible, and on an $800 camera, it should be) on the digital camera. You'll get more noise, but also a faster shutter speed. For most action shots, I'll use at least 1/250th of a second to freeze the action. You could also try the aperture priority setting (Av mode) and set it wide open (smallest number). That'll give you the fastest possible shutter speed. Using a flash will also help, but you'll need to get closer than most of those shots to make it work. Or get a REALLY big flash. Like the sun.

That sums up my knowledge of photography. Paid a pile of money at PSU to learn that. Hope it helps. Usually I just spout stuff people already know

locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by coolhandluchs
    Use faster film. That's how us old guys do it

You'll need to crank up the ISO speed (if possible, and on an $800 camera, it should be) on the digital camera. You'll get more noise, but also a faster shutter speed. For most action shots, I'll use at least 1/250th of a second to freeze the action. You could also try the aperture priority setting (Av mode) and set it wide open (smallest number). That'll give you the fastest possible shutter speed. Using a flash will also help, but you'll need to get closer than most of those shots to make it work. Or get a REALLY big flash. Like the sun.

That sums up my knowledge of photography. Paid a pile of money at PSU to learn that. Hope it helps. Usually I just spout stuff people already know
    That's way more than I knew 1 minute ago. Thank you for the tips - I'll try messing around with the settings you mentioned and see what happens. Wes claims to have read through the manual and says that a friend said it was just the camera - but that doesn't make sense to me.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    That's way more than I knew 1 minute ago. Thank you for the tips - I'll try messing around with the settings you mentioned and see what happens. Wes claims to have read through the manual and says that a friend said it was just the camera - but that doesn't make sense to me.
    Before moving out to CO, I did freelance photography on the side (mainly to help pay for my photography habbit). I still shoot a lot out here, but its mainly for my personal enjoyment not for profit anymore.

I've got a pretty nice setup, and I'd be willing to come snap some pictures of you crazies bailing off stuff. When I lived in Oklahoma, I always drooled at the FR/DH pics people out here got to shoot, which tend to be much more exciting than the typical XC race that I used to shoot.

coolhandluchs is right with all his tips. With sports, I usually shoot with a very large aperature (small number like 2.8 - 4) which not only helps with getting a fast shutter speed to stop action, but it also helps the subject "pop" out of the photo because a large aperature means a narrow depth of focus. The problem is that your margin of error is pretty small since the depth of focus is very narrow, but that is why you shoot lots and lots of pictures and throw out the ones that didn't work.

Most cameras (especially the $800 variety) will have a "sports" mode that will force the camera to use a large aperature, therefore forcing a fast shutter speed.

Shooting fast action is tricky, and usually requires much "faster" lenses than the typical photographer will use. So next time you guys are going to do something crazy enough to need some good documentation, let me know and I'll try to make it out.

locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdub
    So next time you guys are going to do something crazy enough to need some good documentation, let me know and I'll try to make it out.
    That would be awesome, I'm sure that there will be plenty of opportunities with it being the "huck/skatepark" season and all. Thanks for all of the info, the more I think about it, the more it makes sense that 95% of my pics look like they do - I don't know jack about photography.

Wow, maybe there is a reason that photographers get paid to do what they do full time

Now Uploading
    Wow, maybe there is a reason that photographers get paid to do what they do full time
    Ha! Yeah, that's why I closed my photo studio!
    [SIZE=2]Just Passing Through: eatin' dirt & crappin' dust[/SIZE]

locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdirteater
    Ha! Yeah, that's why I closed my photo studio!
    That's my favorite - shooting MTB pics is one thing, but I've found that when the words "my friend can shoot your family pics for half the price w/ his digital cam" are uttered - it's time to run the other way. I suspect that a monkey could've done better than the last guy who "hooked us up" - I haven't even seen the pics (this was about 2 years ago), unfortunately I haven't seen my money either. It would appear that you definitely get what you pay for when it comes time for photos. Lesson learned.

Stand back

120 is pretty good

Road riding is about the only "real" riding I have been doing (except for Palmer last week) lately. There's snow all over up here in Evergreen, and with the days so short, the only rides I can do are lunch rides - which means that much of my time is spent on the road. I did manage to get 120 miles in the week before last though, which is pretty significant for me. I wanted to get out today before it gets cold, but riding in 50mph gusts usually just makes me more angry than anything, so I might have to skip it. I'll definately be down for some road rides in March - I plan to race this year and might actually try to be in racing shape when the season rolls around.
    Esp for this time of year. A little wind makes things interesting, altho it usually changes direction midway thru the ride and it seems I never get the wind at my back. It does make less miles feel like more, which can be a good thing. Today, however, as our patio furniture keeps blowing off the porch and into the driveway, may be a little more work...
    Squaw pass is a fun road ride, have to get some peeps together to ride that this spring. And maybe even a few will be up for a trip up Evans too.
    Golden Bike Park

Cynical Bystander
    Josh the drop looks sweet!!! I can't wait to get up there and hit it. And since tomorrow is my last day of the semester I'm goibng to have to soon....
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

locked - time out
    Esp for this time of year. A little wind makes things interesting, altho it usually changes direction midway thru the ride and it seems I never get the wind at my back. It does make less miles feel like more, which can be a good thing. Today, however, as our patio furniture keeps blowing off the porch and into the driveway, may be a little more work...
    Squaw pass is a fun road ride, have to get some peeps together to ride that this spring. And maybe even a few will be up for a trip up Evans too.
    I'm looking forward to riding Evans - I just recently picked up the road bike, but Evans is right around the corner from where I work (well, Bergen Park is.) It would be a great ride during the summer months I'll bet.

Hairshirt Rider
    Every time I get done patting myself on the back for trying something new and outside my comfort zone, you show up with this kind of stuff.

Quoting loosely from a post I read yesterday on the DH board

"Are you guys pros?"

and Hannibal from the A-Team

"I love it when a plan comes together"

Nice work - my head prep has begun.

locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by Loudpawlz
    Every time I get done patting myself on the back for trying something new and outside my comfort zone, you show up with this kind of stuff.

Quoting loosely from a post I read yesterday on the DH board

"Are you guys pros?"

and Hannibal from the A-Team

"I love it when a plan comes together"

Nice work - my head prep has begun.
    That's perfect - everytime I finish patting myself on the back for stepping it up, I see a pic of a 14 year old like this guy:

note: I thought he was hitting a huge double until I reread the caption - apparently his landing is @ the edge of the (picture) frame.

Motoxpro and his Demo-9......

and have to readjust my perspective. I just consider myself lucky to have a found some like (progression) minded individuals to ride with. I think that you'd like this drop - it's pretty good size (for me) but it is soooo smooth, and is so fun that I found myself laughing everytime I hit it - it feels like you are flying.

Cynical Bystander
    That's perfect - everytime I finish patting myself on the back for stepping it up, I see a pic of a 14 year old like this guy:

note: I thought he was hitting a huge double until I reread the caption - apparently his landing is @ the edge of the (picture) frame.

Motoxpro and his Demo-9......

and have to readjust my perspective. I just consider myself lucky to have a found some like (progression) minded individuals to ride with. I think that you'd like this drop - it's pretty good size (for me) but it is soooo smooth, and is so fun that I found myself laughing everytime I hit it - it feels like you are flying.
    Does that mean that you feel bad when I ride with you Josh? Since even if it takes me a while to get the balls to do stuff I usually do it.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

Rocket Scientist
    That Jump in the thread Josh posted looks awesome.
    Man, I'd love to hit that up...and as for Drops...
    I was so nervous about that lil tiny drop at Keystone over the
    summer, needless to say...after hittin up Todd's place, I'm ready for anything...
    now...I will hit it that drop at keystone and wont even think twice...
    Confidence is a weird thing...If you dont have it...your in trouble...
    If you do have it...It can take you far..and sometimes to the ER.
    None the less, I am ready to ride more...

Cynical Bystander
    Quote Originally Posted by bpatterson6
    summer, needless to say...after hittin up Todd's place, I'm ready for anything...
    I agree, after hitting Todd's drop it has shown me that as long as you go for it you're much better off than if you don't have the confidence to fully commit to it. I'm hoping that means that when I headup and hit Josh's drop that I'll hit it after seeing Josh/Wes do it and not have to contemplate for a while about it.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by COmtbiker12
    Does that mean that you feel bad when I ride with you Josh? Since even if it takes me a while to get the balls to do stuff I usually do it.
    No, not at all - I think it's a great thing when I get to ride with anyone who pushes me, whether it is climbing faster, technical riding, drops or whatever, it's always good to progress with friends.

locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by bpatterson6
    That's the biggest thing I have noticed about riding drops and stuff. It's not lost on me that there's no (immediately obvious) practical reason to go jump off of stuff, other than to have fun, but I have noticed that the more I progress doing stupid stuff - the better I get at finding new lines and ways down the trail which dramatically increase the fun factor.

Cynical Bystander
    No, not at all - I think it's a great thing when I get to ride with anyone who pushes me, whether it is climbing faster, technical riding, drops or whatever, it's always good to progress with friends.
    I agree, thats how it is when I'm riding with people.

Do you have many plans for the next few weeks? Tomorrow's my last day of the semester and with my V10 and hardtail working I"m thinking that a Drop Session with hitting the DenverSkatePark/Arbor in the afternoon is due in the next few days....
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast