Thread: 7 speed wheel?

Gaa-zee-raaaa!

7 speed wheel?

So - a neighbor shows up at my door the other day holding an older Cannondale with a Girvin fork and assorted bits on it. He said it he was going to chuck it, but figured he'd see if I wanted it. Being the shameless packrat that I am, I told him "of course!". I have almost everything I need to put the bike together sitting in the parts bin, but need to locate a 7 speed rear wheel (and a crankset / BB - but I'm having a harder time finding the wheel). Anyone have one - or an old crankset - sitting around that they would part with cheaply? I don't need anything too fancy since the bike will likely be a loaner, or given to a friend.
    Last edited by Godzilla; 08-04-2008 at 09:45 AM.
    Now with more vitriol!

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Hmmm... lemme check. I just may have a couple 7 speed wheels hanging about. PM me.

Living the High Life
    My sister's fiance has one that he doesn't need actually. Hit me up, I'm guessing something in the $0-5 range would be accurate. Or a trade, do you have an 8sp wheel? He's putting together a cheap hardtail and I was going to give him my old 8sp shifters and cassette, but turns out its the wrong hub.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

nice marmot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla
    So - a neighbor shows up at my door the other day holding an older Cannondale with a Girvin fork and assorted bits on it. He said it he was going to chuck it, but figured he'd see if I wanted it. Being the shameless packrat that I am, I told him "of course!". I have almost everything I need to put the bike together sitting in the parts bin, but need to locate a 7 speed rear wheel (and a crankset / BB - but I'm having a harder time finding the wheel). Anyone have one - or and old crankset - sitting around that they would part with cheaply? I don't need anything too fancy since the bike will likely be a loaner, or given to a friend.
    They make spacers to fit a 7 speed cassette onto an 8/9 speed wheel.

To "Air" Is Human
    Quote Originally Posted by ictoacoy
    They make spacers to fit a 7 speed cassette onto an 8/9 speed wheel.
    True, and they are about $3.

I remember the first Super V's that had Girvin Flex Stems on them.

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Agency
    True, and they are about $3.

I remember the first Super V's that had Girvin Flex Stems on them.
    Yup - that was about the year they released XTR. I rode around on one of the Super Vs at the bike shop that is now "Souper Salad" - across from SW Plaza. It's a wonder anyone bothered further developing suspension after those early bikes, they felt horrible.

On a somewhat related note, I followed an elevated chainstay Yeti Ultimate down from LOTB the other day. It even had Yeti tires on it still.
    Now with more vitriol!

I can't ride 45!
    What size BB?

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla
    Yup - that was about the year they released XTR. I rode around on one of the Super Vs at the bike shop that is now "Souper Salad" - across from SW Plaza. It's a wonder anyone bothered further developing suspension after those early bikes, they felt horrible.
    Delta V's were the sh!t

Ed

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Those are some big-a$$ barends.

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonb
    What size BB?
    I should probably check on that, huh?
    Now with more vitriol!

I can't ride 45!
    I think I have an entry level Specialized crank and bb in the parts bin. If they are the right size (and I can locate them in the post-move-basement-mess) you are welcome to them.

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonb
    I think I have an entry level Specialized crank and bb in the parts bin. If they are the right size (and I can locate them in the post-move-basement-mess) you are welcome to them.
    Awesome - I'll measure the BB when I get home.

Thanks Jason
    Now with more vitriol!